X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any support for WiFI based door deadbolts locks

I'm looking for an automated deadbolt; my requirements:

- wifi based
    - not z-wave based (i don't want to setup yet another wireless technology)
    - not insteon based (they have dropped their support for this)
    - allow multiple user pins
    - provides status to homeseer when locked and unlocked
    - lock and unlock from homeseer

are there any deadbolts and associated plugins already available here?

nothing jumped out at me after doing a few searches
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

It would be great to see a post comparing all of the current WiFi lock options.

Comment

For Wifi locks it's somewhat limited. I was going to work on a plugin for Lockitron's Bolt+Bridge but that's on hold now. I think that would be the easiest as they have an open API. There's also the Schlage Wifi lock but not sure about their API.

Comment

The WiFi deadbolts I've seen were app/cloud based, and no way in hell would I want third party cloud access to my deadbolts. For security reasons, but also with cloud services disappearing (that cute robot that's now useless) or API changed (Google with Nest).

Schlage has been around forever, and they got the best manufacturer aftersales service I've experienced (they keep sending me entire lock replacements for free for tiny issues during installation).

Use the Z-Wave models myself when they go on sale for $99, but they also have a Zigbee model, or a WiFi/Bluetooth one.

https://www.schlage.com/blog/categor...ation-101.html

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
          The WiFi deadbolts I've seen were app/cloud based, and no way in hell would I want third party cloud access to my deadbolts. For security reasons, but also with cloud services disappearing (that cute robot that's now useless) or API changed (Google with Nest).

Schlage has been around forever, and they got the best manufacturer aftersales service I've experienced (they keep sending me entire lock replacements for free for tiny issues during installation).

Use the Z-Wave models myself when they go on sale for $99, but they also have a Zigbee model, or a WiFi/Bluetooth one.

https://www.schlage.com/blog/categor...ation-101.html

​​​​
          I use the Schlage Z-Wave Plus deadbolts, but I wish I would have went with Zigbee instead because the Z-Waves don't have the best connectivity reliability and as a result they chew through batteries pretty quick. I would worry about any Wifi deadbolt having very good battery life because Wifi radios are normally not battery life friendly. Just guessing, but I would imagine the Schlage Wifi/Bluetooth model uses Wifi for cloud communication (remote locking/unlocking and status checks) and then uses BLE (Low Energy) when your phone is in range of the lock in order to extend battery life.

--Barry

Comment

Weird, I've got five of the Schlage deadbolts via Z-Wave with my first one in use since 2014 on a Vera3 setup, and I've been impressed by battery life. Even four batteries from an 8-pack of AA from DollarTree last over a year, but I normally put Lithium AA batteries from Energizer in them that last about 3 years.

What does drain batteries fast is when lock is in power mode due to a struggling locking mechanism. It states this in the manual, but easy to overlook.

Happened to me when front door warped during winter and battery level sucked down quick, which is when I switched to Lithium models due to their ability to provide extra power, and re-adjusted the lock to make it go easy again.

The locks not being in direct connection with controller also seems to have an impact, but not as severe.

I'm only recently on HomeSeer though, and SDJ-Health is keeping track of battery usage, but after a month on new lock setup with original Duracell batteries still at 100%, with about 20 lock actions per day, including 30-seconds auto-lock.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
              Weird, I've got five of the Schlage deadbolts via Z-Wave with my first one in use since 2014 on a Vera3 setup, and I've been impressed by battery life. Even four batteries from an 8-pack of AA from DollarTree last over a year, but I normally put Lithium AA batteries from Energizer in them that last about 3 years.
              Same here except, only three. but the Vera setup works very well. Also Alexa will lock the door by voice. I was hoping the vera plugin here would support the locks, but it doesn't.

-Skybolt

Comment

Have 7 Schlage zwave deadbolts I bought in 2016. A few get used daily and a few hardly ever get used. TWO still have the original Duracell batteries they came with in them and still communicate. The one that gets used most goes through batteries in about 3-4 months. The rest can go a year.

They were among the first devices I put in this house and being on doors they were at the outer bounds of the network. I did have some communication issues until I put in some other zwave devices nearby. Since then, there has been no issue.

Two of them bake in the sun for 5-6 hours every day and their screens still look as good as new. Been really happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                  Have 7 Schlage zwave deadbolts I bought in 2016. A few get used daily and a few hardly ever get used. TWO still have the original Duracell batteries they came with in them and still communicate. The one that gets used most goes through batteries in about 3-4 months. The rest can go a year.

They were among the first devices I put in this house and being on doors they were at the outer bounds of the network. I did have some communication issues until I put in some other zwave devices nearby. Since then, there has been no issue.

Two of them bake in the sun for 5-6 hours every day and their screens still look as good as new. Been really happy with them.
                  I have 5 of the Schlage and that's sort of been my experience. Except the least used lock (front door) has traditionally chewed through the most batteries. I've got 2 z-wave repeaters within 5' of the lock, but never could get decent battery life. However, about 2 weeks ago that lock gave up the ghost entirely and went offline except it kept reporting battery level and lock position. But it would not respond to any Z-Wave commands. Called Schlage and they said they had seen that issue a few times so they sent out a brand new lock for replacement (the electronics have a 3 year warranty). So far so good with the replacement. Definitely can't beat Schlage customer service.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
                    Definitely can't beat Schlage customer service.
                    Amen to that!

Never had a lock fail on my (knock on wood), but very first install in 2014 was a left swing combo and handle just didn't feel right. Schlage send me an entire new handle kit after indicating I bought the wrong one and that I needed a right swing handle.

Last month I installed one on an old metal door and the Camelot door handle cover wouldn't fit as old doors have the holes much closer. Took photo and asked Schlage if they could send me a small round disc cover as I didn't wanted to dremel the Camelot cover with door getting replaced next year. They solved it by sending an entire handle kit again.

They definitely earned my vote.

Comment

Working...
                    X