Monitoring network device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring network device

Is there a software than can be used to monitor a device on a network and logs if it disconnects. Having issues with a device and trying to figure out if the problem is with the device losing connection to the network or just HS losing connection to the device.

Originally posted by freeon View Post
    Is there a software than can be used to monitor a device on a network and logs if it disconnects. Having issues with a device and trying to figure out if the problem is with the device losing connection to the network or just HS losing connection to the device.
    Jon00 has a network monitoring script and there's the UltraMon3 plugin as well.

Comment

There is also BLLAN. Currently using Jon00's and BLLAN today. Jon00's is used to monitor and manage the XPe Homeseer touchscreens.

A side rant here relating to wireless Homeseer touchscreens...

My wireless touchscreens are on 24/7 always see occasional drops from the network where as never seen any drops from the network with POE connected touchscreens.

To get a MAC address via Linux command line:

1 - ping the device in question
      2 - then type arp -a to match the IP to the MAC.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was looking for something outside of HS but glad I tried your advise. I wanted outside of HS so I could determine if a device was disconnecting from the network or just HS. The issue I was having was with a GC-100 controlled with Ultra GCIR and it was constantly disconnecting. I installed UltraMon3 and a soon as I did the log started showing a lot of my devices started showing disconnected. HSTouch on my laptop started to lose connection every 10 or so minutes. Never had this happened before and have been using it for years. Turned off UltraMon3 and HSTouch stopped disconnecting. So something in Ultra's plugins is somehow affecting my network. I'll reach out to him to see if he has any advise.

Comment

Yes here initially with Homeseer 2 started with UltraMon (2). Not sure if ping time spaces would change anything. I have changed my ping times extending them a bit.

Note that all of the 3rd party PI's are well done and have evolved over the years to be even better today for Homeseer 3.

Relating to the firewall it could be a release and redo of a DHCP address. Relating to a WAP it could be also the sharing of multiple devices on one WAP. You can QOS the traffic on the WAP.

Many Homeseer folks today are using Fingbox.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X