Automated Backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twka90 View Post

Doesn't every change get saved to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\HomeSeerData.hsd" pretty much immediately? (I thought it was -- I recovered my HS3 installation from a ransomware infestation last week by having just that file survive from the entire VM, only because HS was running, the DB was open, and the malware couldn't encrypt it)
    Somewhere here I read that it saves every time you restart. And I had not restarted the system for a long long time. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by CameronHilliard View Post

Somewhere here I read that it saves every time you restart. And I had not restarted the system for a long long time. :-(
      I see. Whoah. That is so weird. Seems like an unorthodox design choice. This would imply that any changes are going to be lost if HS3 crashes or the machine bluescreens. I will need to test this...

Comment

Guys before this misinformation is spread too far , HS3 writes any changes to the database within a second or two so if you aren't seeing changes saved then you have another issue. There's no reason to shut down HS3 to save changes.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Guys before this misinformation is spread too far , HS3 writes any changes to the database within a second or two so if you aren't seeing changes saved then you have another issue. There's no reason to shut down HS3 to save changes.
          This makes WAY more sense. Great thanks! While we have you here, can you please weigh in on the idea of grabbing the entire HS3 directory for backup purposes? Any issues to be aware of there?

Comment

Originally posted by twka90 View Post

This makes WAY more sense. Great thanks! While we have you here, can you please weigh in on the idea of grabbing the entire HS3 directory for backup purposes? Any issues to be aware of there?
            I've done this for years and the only issue would be if you grabbed it during an update. If you grab the entire directory weekly then you'd have enough to get back to where you were minus one weeks worth of changes. BLBackup is a great backup solution.

Comment

I've done this for years and the only issue would be if you grabbed it during an update. If you grab the entire directory weekly then you'd have enough to get back to where you were minus one weeks worth of changes. BLBackup is a great backup solution.
              I definitely believe you because it just makes sense. but called tech support at homeseer and was told that “misinformation” which was confirmed by my own results. Now I do a 4am auto backup and my config files show proper time stamps as expected. Before they all showed time stamp of the same day.

Comment

Rupp, don't disagree but the HS3 release notes are a bit vague.

Code:
                Changed from 3.0.0.435 to 3.0.0.500:
                System now creates a new database file every 10 minutes as a backup. If the main database becomes corrupt, this saved database is used automatically.
                Changed database saving to save less often
                Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                Number of Devices: 633
                Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

Code:
                  System now creates a new database file every 10 minutes as a backup. If the main database becomes corrupt, this saved database is used automatically.
                  Yes it does create a "backup" of your live database that is updated with every change.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

Code:
                    FWIW it’s a pretty easy test. Just make a change and see if the latest backup config has the current date and time as a time stamp. Then test again in 5 mins. If it works great. If not, you saved yourself a potential nightmare of rebuilding everything. Or you could just take his word. Risk reward I guess.

Comment

Just got this from the developer. HS3 updates the DB every 30 seconds, with HS4 its every 60. With both changes are saved when the app is shut down.

Comment

Just got this from the developer. HS3 updates the DB every 30 seconds, with HS4 its every 60. With both changes are saved when the app is shut down.
                        Thank you for catching that the second line in the change history notes I posted was more relevant to this thread than the first line.

Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                        Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                        Number of Devices: 633
                        Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                        2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                        3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                        30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                        3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                        3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                        3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Nice. Good to confirm it doesn’t actually save with every change. Glad we can cut down on the spread of “misinformation”.

Comment

Originally posted by CameronHilliard View Post

Nice. Good to confirm it doesn’t actually save with every change. Glad we can cut down on the spread of “misinformation”.
                            Every 60 seconds is functionally equivalent to "every change". (I mean, yes, the neat freak in me would prefer that it happened whenever there is an actual change, i.e. was event-driven, but for practical purposes what's implemented is good) (proceeds to setup scheduled nightly copies of HS3 to a freenas box, and nightly freenas snapshots of the resulting dataset with couple months worth of retention. As well as crashplan copying from freenas to cloud)

Comment

Working...
                            X