LED sign controlled by HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED sign controlled by HS3

Anyone having luck integrating large LED signs with HS3 ?
    I managed to integrate HS3 with a pool lap timer. HS3 knows my swim timing results. The challenge now is to display it real time outdoors. It will come handy for other applications as well like displaying time, temperature, humidity, kitchen timer etc all of that available in HS3.
    Below is a picture of one of the many displays sold on Amazon. However I couldn't find anything that is open to a third party programming/integration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81xwZ7qVZQL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1237942

Blade has a plugin for smaller signs. Maybe he could adapt his existing plugin to handle addnl signs. I would like larger signs than the small beta-brites if I could control them!

Comment

BLLED https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...g-ins/blled-3p

Comment

Yes. Got it. However the hardware is fairly old and outdated. Does the plug-in support any newer hardware? Any other solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
          Yes. Got it. However the hardware is fairly old and outdated. Does the plug-in support any newer hardware? Any other solutions?
          Albeit a bit small there is the LAMetric Time, I have written a plugin for it which could do this. Bit on the expensive side though.

Comment

Thanks. Too small for my outdoors application. Nice product though will keep it in mind for other possible uses.

Comment

Failed miserably with BetaBrite. It’s discontinued. I bought used one on eBay and couldn’t make it working. Any other suggestions???
              Everything new and modern that I looked at has some app but not an open interface to connect to HS3. Any interface will work for me - http, tcp, mqtt, serial just give me something.

Comment

Small note : The Betabrites come in several {Mostly RSXXX.} different styles of hardware input ports.. Some of the ones that have two RJ12 jacks on the the back only do RS422 others with the two RJ12s one of the jack will do RS232.. I seem to remember they also had no way {timing marker} to let the waiting buffer from running over the running message, I don't think they gave any acks, nacs or any return messages.. I'm sure there's still information on the net about them , most of them took blind strings , like "Buffer number,color,style,xxxx,xxxx," and a string "display-1".. There OK for what they are.. I used mine mostly for CID... Don't feel bad about failing on the BB, unless you have the remote {Even it takes some work to display the settings} to find the baud rate it's a roll of the dice,, 9.6k or 4.8K were the norms..

Comment

No direct experience, but DEOL 032FC is an example of one with LAN interface. DEOL Display Systems seems to have a large variety. Google should find many.

Comment

I am just about finished building an LED sign following: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2345
                    and

It is 4 `squares` wide. I got all the parts for aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/P6-S...357c4c4d5vyyaQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	P6-SMD3528-192x192mm-led-display-panel-indoor-full-color-32x32-pixels-1-8-scan-led-modules.jpg_640x640.jpg Views:	1 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	1296466

Runs on a rpi with python scripts.

I have written a few scrips to show bus times pulled from my local transit API, and works great.

Still not sure what is the best way to interface it to HS yet though...

My ideal setup would be to ask google home assistant to show different things that are 'passive' (clock, bus departures etc)
                    but also have 'active' notifications triggered from HS.

Comment

That is cool - !
                      How many of the squares can you link together for width? Bigger than a BetaBrite I will hope.

Comment

You can add as many as you want and you can stack vertically for additional rows. Biggest problem you will like have is with power distribution. Power supply at one end will not have the voltage you want too far downstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                          You can add as many as you want and you can stack vertically for additional rows. Biggest problem you will like have is with power distribution. Power supply at one end will not have the voltage you want too far downstream.
                          Correct, I am using a 5V 40A PSU, that is enough for 4 panels on full brightness white (check the adafruit site for power calculations).
                          I am giving a power drop to each panel individually to not stress out the first panel with the load.

After you have power sorted, next constraint is memory of the pi. There is a limit there as to how big you want your display to be. Depends if you are just scrolling plain text etc or graphics like video.

Comment

That's all good but doesn't address the original question - how to connect to and get managed by HS3

Comment

for the stackable led panels the one who solders them together is the one who does the sketch ir whatever in the host micro. Use whatever is easiest such as IP and protocol such as MQTT.

Comment

Working...
                              X