Zwave Naming devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwave Naming devices

I am new to zwave. I have 60+ Insteon devices and been running HS for decades.
    I just bought SmartStick+ and a couple zwave devices.
    All is working.

My question is when I add the node, HS names using node#.

What is the proper way to name zwave devices?

Do I edit the device and on the configuration tab just rename device name? Does that break anything?
    Or is it best practice to use location 2 as the label for the device? Does that break anything?

From my pic below I have a single Aeon smartswitch, but it has 7 device entries. I want to label this a "washing machine" what is the best way to do that?

Thanks,

Chuck

I change the floor to "_Energy"

Which makes it easier to find - You could pick one of the child devices that you care about maybe change its name - like Binary Switch might become "Washing Machine". See below - My "Space Heater" used to be binary switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1238108

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      I change the floor to "_Energy"

Which makes it easier to find - You could pick one of the child devices that you care about maybe change its name - like Binary Switch might become "Washing Machine". See below - My "Space Heater" used to be binary switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1238108
      Cool thanks. Was not sure if any renaming breaks the zwave network in any way.

so I can change the FLOOR or ROOM or the NAMEwith no problems?

Comment

Yes - I typically leave Z-Wave as the Room - then change the Floor as needed.

Comment

Working...
        X