Install/update of plug-in "MediaController" failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install/update of plug-in "MediaController" failed

Plug-in management page shows that "Media controller" have newer versions.
    Disabled the plug-in. Checked box and clicked Update button. Getting this message

Install/Update of package MediaController failed.

BTW two other plug-ins updated without a problem.

Originally posted by risquare View Post
    Plug-in management page shows that "Media controller" have newer versions.
    Disabled the plug-in. Checked box and clicked Update button. Getting this message

Install/Update of package MediaController failed.

BTW two other plug-ins updated without a problem.
    Just tried it and I had no issue. What OS are you running this on? If Windows, which version and what is your latest .NET install (go to add or remove programs)?
    Anything in the log? Did you try a second time?
    Dirk

Comment

Tried again today (2 days after the OP) same result. I'm thinking of removing it altogether and installing it fresh from a scratch. It is included in my HS3 Pro so I hope there will be no licensing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
        Tried again today (2 days after the OP) same result. I'm thinking of removing it altogether and installing it fresh from a scratch. It is included in my HS3 Pro so I hope there will be no licensing issues.
        Could you answer my questions?
        What OS are you running this on? If Windows, which version and what is your latest .NET install (go to add or remove programs)?
        What does the log show?

Comment

It went trough today without me doing anything special just restarted the whole machine (not just HS3).

Comment

I had this happen to me today. But was able to fix it by manually killing the HSPI_MediaController process.

Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.191])
            Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.7.3056.0
            Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.42000

Logs:
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Install/Update of package MediaController failed.
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Error Installation of package MediaController failed. Try disabling the plugin first, then re-try the update.
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Error Copying source to C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HSPI_MediaController.exe, detailed error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HSPI_MediaController.exe' because it is being used by another process.
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HSPI_MediaController.exe
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Installing package MediaController
            Sep-01 7:45:20 AM Updater Update hspi_mediacontroller.exe downloaded successfully
            Sep-01 7:45:19 AM Updater Downloading update: MediaController
            Sep-01 7:45:19 AM Updater Starting download of updates

I did actually disable the Plug-In before updating and still did not work. So for whatever reason disabling the plug-in did not kill the process.
            I'm wondering if risquare had it work after a reboot because he disabled the Plug-In and then restarted so the .exe never fired.

Comment

I'm having the same problem shutting down the plugin does not work it will not accept the update.

Comment

I had the same issue. I've seen this happen when the plugin doesn't "disable" properly and keeps running or starts running as a remote plugin. Try Julez forced kill off the HSPI_MediaController process. If that doesn't work, try the following.

1. Disable the Plugin.
                2. Shutdown HS3
                3. Reboot or Restart the HS3 Computer or VM
                4. Start HS3
                5. Let all the plugins load and startup as normal.
                6. Initiate Plugin Update.

I've never had this process fail to update stubborn or misbehaving plugins.

If you go the forced kill route, make sure you get all instances of the plugin and child processes.
                Last edited by Mr_Resistor; September 30, 2018, 11:38 AM.
                My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Thanks, your idea worked perfect for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Resistor View Post
                    I had the same issue. I've seen this happen when the plugin doesn't "disable" properly and keeps running or starts running as a remote plugin. Try Julez forced kill off the HSPI_MediaController process. If that doesn't work, try the following.

1. Disable the Plugin.
                    2. Shutdown HS3
                    4. Start HS3
                    6. Initiate Plugin Update.

I've never had this process fail to update stubborn or misbehaving plugins.

If you go the forced kill route, make sure you get all instances of the plugin and child processes.
                    I made some changes in October (v 035) as the PI would not terminate properly. Easiest would indeed be to restart HS, don't think you need to restart computer but if the PI itself stays running when HS3 is stopped, the problem is indeed deeper that I can deal with because the "communication pipe" between HS and any PI is something that is "standard" from the HS template and is supposed to terminate immediately if communication is lost ..... In that case you should kill the process or restart computer.

Comment

I am unable to update the Plugin.

I have tried this:
                      1. Disable the Plugin.
                      2. Shutdown HS3
                      4. Start HS3
                      6. Initiate Plugin Update.​
                      Also via taskmanager killed the plugin , but I keep on getting:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-09-03 09_41_57-Plugin Management.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.3 KB ID:	1633002

In the log:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-09-03 09_42_45-Log.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	1633003

Code:
                      9/04/2023 07:53:50
                      HomeSeer Updater
                      Error
                      Error saving the downloaded file: error
                      9/04/2023 07:53:50
                      HomeSeer Updater
                      Error
                      Error downloading package HSPI_MediaController.exe:The request was aborted: The connection was closed unexpectedly.​
                      I think this is the .net version:
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client
                      CBS REG_DWORD 0x1
                      Install REG_DWORD 0x1
                      InstallPath REG_SZ C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
                      Release REG_DWORD 0x80ff4
                      Servicing REG_DWORD 0x0
                      TargetVersion REG_SZ 4.0.0
                      Version REG_SZ 4.8.04084​
                      Windows : Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Homeseer : HS4 Standard Edition 4.2.18.3 (Windows)

Plugin version: 3.0.0.66

Many thanks,
                      Cornelis

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
                        I am unable to update the Plugin.
                        Updating to the latest official version (.72) fails for me as well, but installing the latest beta (.80) seems to still work.

Comment

I just wanted to install the beta version , but where can I find it ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-10 10_07_38-Home automation Heubergau - AnyDesk.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1633768

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
                            I just wanted to install the beta version , but where can I find it ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-09-10 10_07_38-Home automation Heubergau - AnyDesk.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1633768
                            Given the fact that the "official" version (v.72) wasn't installable, I went ahead and released v.80 as the new official version so the one you see in the installer should be the latest and the beta is gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X