Run Alexa Command from Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Alexa Command from Homeseer

I have a device that can only be controlled by Alexa or their own software. Can I activate a device with Homseer that shows up in Alexa and can be controlled with voice commands? It is an on/off device.

Name/Brand of the device?

Can it hook to IFTTT? If so you can create a virtual device in HomeSeer, then create an IFTTT recipe that turns the device on or off when the homeseer virtual device turns on or off.

Comment

It's a Yi camera. I am testing it out and it looks like the Yi only works with Alexa via skill and not IFTTT.

I can flash the firmware to open up options but since it would be in my house I hesitate to do so. My other cameras are outside but the Yi has several advantages including cloud backup, instant notification of motion, two way audio, privacy mode and the camera will follow someone around the room so there are no blind spots.

I can say turn on/off X camera via Alexa but it would be nice for auromatic on/off based on my Homeseer occupancy setting so I can have camera off (in privacy mode with lens covered) when we are home but active while everyone is away.

Comment

Whilst not very elegant, you can always get a Homeseer speaker client to instruct Alexa directly.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          Whilst not very elegant, you can always get a Homeseer speaker client to instruct Alexa directly.
          I had not thought of that but will give it a try. I am assuming that would be to have one of my HomeSeer speakers in the room speak the phrase needed to an Alexa device in the same room. If there is another direct way then let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post

I had not thought of that but will give it a try. I am assuming that would be to have one of my HomeSeer speakers in the room speak the phrase needed to an Alexa device in the same room.
            Yes, that is correct. When I tested this some time ago, it worked fine.

Jon

Comment

It works great if there is no background noise so I am going to set something up in a room where I can control the noise. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

You could always install a small speaker (fed from a speaker client) with a dot in a enclosed box to contain the noise!
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  You could always install a small speaker (fed from a speaker client) with a dot in a enclosed box to contain the noise!
                  This is exactly what I do. Put some towels around the inside of the box for added noise dampening.

Comment

This is what I did. It uses a cheap small USB speaker from Ebay and a Echo DOT. It probably cost me £45 ($60) including the box.

The USB speaker is routed to a second Speaker client running on my Homeseer server.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Echo1.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1245669

Click image for larger version

Name:	Echo2.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1245670
                    Jon

Comment