Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring dog feeding with contact sensor event ideas

Hey Everyone,

I've given my 10-year old son the chore of feeding our dog each day. He is failing miserably and I have to remind me constantly that he needs to feed him. I put a contact sensor on the dog food bin and would like to create some events that would check to see if the dog food bin has been opened within certain windows of time or twice per day. I'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the logic and how to implement it.

What I think I care about is the dog has been fed by a certain time each day, twice per day. In the morning, if the dog food bin has been opened by 9:30am each day I'm good. In the evening, if it is opened by 7:30pm I'm good as well. I'd also like to be able to have "Dog Not Fed" status visible on our tablets around the house. I may also want some notifications sent to his Gizmo Gadget watch or voice notifications to nag him to feed the dog.

This seems like a straightforward thing but as I think about it I'm having a hard time with it. I'm also super-rusty with events and now finding some time to play with HomeSeer again after owning it for 17 years! I got some awesome ideas on my flood sensor post yesterday so I'm hoping some of you can help me get me mentally started on this. Any ideas? I do have EasyTrigger which I know helps with schedules.

Thanks in advance!

--AJ

Something like this might do what you want.

IF the time is 930am
    AND IF food bin has been closed for X hours

THEN send notification

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

-Wade

Comment

Originally posted by ajgyomber View Post
      Hey Everyone,

I've given my 10-year old son the chore of feeding our dog each day. He is failing miserably and I have to remind me constantly that he needs to feed him. I put a contact sensor on the dog food bin and would like to create some events that would check to see if the dog food bin has been opened within certain windows of time or twice per day. I'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the logic and how to implement it.

What I think I care about is the dog has been fed by a certain time each day, twice per day. In the morning, if the dog food bin has been opened by 9:30am each day I'm good. In the evening, if it is opened by 7:30pm I'm good as well. I'd also like to be able to have "Dog Not Fed" status visible on our tablets around the house. I may also want some notifications sent to his Gizmo Gadget watch or voice notifications to nag him to feed the dog.

This seems like a straightforward thing but as I think about it I'm having a hard time with it. I'm also super-rusty with events and now finding some time to play with HomeSeer again after owning it for 17 years! I got some awesome ideas on my flood sensor post yesterday so I'm hoping some of you can help me get me mentally started on this. Any ideas? I do have EasyTrigger which I know helps with schedules.

Thanks in advance!

--AJ
      I hope he doesn’t figure out that he can open and close the bin door, sleep in past 9:30 and forget moving the food from the bin to the dogs food dish! Ha! Better put a weight sensor on the food dish too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

You could create a virtual device 'Dog is Hungry' or some such. Create an event to turn it on at 6AM & 6PM, and another to turn it off when the food bin is opened. Then add events to send nag reminders if the device is on after the cutoff times.

Comment

Working...
        X