Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controllable Power Strips -> WiFi? ZWave? Aeon Labs DSC-11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t understand why you have found MQTT broker service a pita. It is nothing more than a service running on any computer on your LAN or Wan. It is much like SSH or any service than runs in the background and provides a capability when needed. I understand you have avoided it by using other techniques. One could turn their DHCP service off and always use fixed IP addresses, but why take the hard road when the easy one is readily available?

I recognize each has their own experiences and preferences and there is room for everyone in this community.

In my case I find it to be a very convent way to monitor and control two houses from one HS install where the same broker is used to route messages between the two locations. it is totally transparent at the HS/application level that there is a geographic separation.

Comment

I know this thread is old, but does anyone know of a power strip that does energy monitoring per outlet that supports MQTT? Looks like the Zooz Z20 might be the best bet if energy monitoring is a requirement of mine. However, I was hoping to use MQTT.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
        I know this thread is old, but does anyone know of a power strip that does energy monitoring per outlet that supports MQTT? Looks like the Zooz Z20 might be the best bet if energy monitoring is a requirement of mine. However, I was hoping to use MQTT.
        I don't know about MQTT however the TP-Link powerstrip does per outlet power monitoring. I'm not sure if the TP-Link plugin supports it yet or not.. Hey jasv ???

I have several of the Zooz ZEN20 and they work well. I just received the TP-Link (still in box) so I can't give opinion yet.

Comment

Section 15.12.7 of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf shows the use of the Wheswell ZLD-44USA-W Wifi Power Strip from Amazon for $27 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the mcsMQTT plugin. It has 4 mains and a group of 4 USB that are controllable over the LAN. A related discussion thread is at https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ns-power-strip

Comment

I have the Zooz Zen20. It has 5 outlets, is z-wave plus, and reports energy usage. Works well with the z-wave plugin.

Also have a tp-link HS300 which is wifi. The tp-link plugin works reasonably well. Some lags every once in a while. It also reports energy usage.

Generally, I prefer the Zooz. However, the tp-link was chosen for a reason. It can be controlled via an app as well as thru HS devices. I've placed the HS server on one plug and the IOT router on another. The tp-link strip is on another network. That allows me to reboot either remotely and still maintain control. Works well. Given, its only been needed it once.

Comment

Working...
            X