Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding remote temperature and humidity sensors that HS3 can access.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding remote temperature and humidity sensors that HS3 can access.

I currently have one temperature sensors that I've setup for HS3 to read and it's just to read the CPU temp on the Raspberry pi using an event script. What I'd like to do is add multiple other sensors for other areas in and around the house.

I'm open as to how they are interfaced as long as they are wireless so everything from WiFi using MQTT, RfCom and Z-Wave are on the table plus any others if the fit the bill. Main point is that they can be made cheaply and they are reliable. It would be nice if they used one-wire sensors since that opens a lot of possibilities. As and example, anything built around RaspberryPi Zero W is a reasonable solutions.

I have the RaspberryIO plugin which is great for simple on/off sensing and control but unfortunately it does not have the ability to read one-wire devices. Hint, Hint, that would be a great addition.

So before I go and roll me own I was wondering what others have done in this area?
    Last edited by Timon; September 10, 2018, 11:17 AM.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

I'm using ambient weather. It allows you to add up to 8 additional temperature and humidity sensors. Some might consider it a downside that additional sensors data isn't currently available locally and needs to be read from the "cloud"

Additional sensors are very affordable at around $9 for both a temperature and humidity sensor

Comment

Hey Timon,

I have done just this with multiple ESP8266 microcontrollers NodeMCU Lua V3 WIFI with CH340G, which I got off Amazon. $6-8

I have them connected with the AM2302 temperature/humidity sensors ($5-6) to most and one has this sensor:
      TOOGOO(R) Temperature Humidity Barometric Pressure BME280 Digital Sensor Module. ($5.50)

These are located in all bedrooms, utility room, and basement. Temperature in all rooms, humidity in all rooms.
      They are programmed to use MQTT and mcsmqtt plugin. Work great.

I also have put an LED on a couple to let me know when the hot water recirculating pump is on or off. MQTT controlled with a
      sonoff S31 flashed with Tasmota. These measure electricity usage as well.

I also have one wire sensors connected to a raspberry pi in the furnace closet to monitor the furnace output.
      This pi also had a AM2303 sensor wired outside the HVAC closet, into the rest of the garage.
      These use a python script to send mqtt messages to Homeseer.

Separately on this same pi, I also use the RaspberryIO plugin to control a couple of relays to open and close hot water valves
      for the baseboard heating system.
      I can measure the CPU temperature on this pi, using SNMP. (I wish I could get and accurate CPU temperature from my Homeseer SEL
      (gigabyte motherboard and Ubuntu 18))

FYI, the ESP8266 have a micro usb power plugin, so they are powered with a wall wart.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by gregb View Post
        I'm using ambient weather. It allows you to add up to 8 additional temperature and humidity sensors. Some might consider it a downside that additional sensors data isn't currently available locally and needs to be read from the "cloud"

Additional sensors are very affordable at around $9 for both a temperature and humidity sensor
        Which Ambient station are you using? I'm pretty sure you can add the ObserverIP module and get the data from your sensors locally.

Update: I researched this a little more, and the Ambient add-on sensors for the Observer IP cannot be accessed locally. Only the sensors that are part of the weather array.

Comment

A buddy of mine designed this little 3D printed case for a DHT11 temperature/humidity sensor and a WeMos D1. He uses HomeAssistant. I have built one of these and used mcsMQTT and ESPHome to program the D1. You can get 5 WeMos D1 clones for about $20 and 5 DHT11 sensors for about $12.

Here is the link to Thingiverse which has the STL files and links to purchase the D1 and DHT11.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3729214

Click image for larger version

Name:	trmpcase.png
Views:	693
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1325658

Comment

I'm using WirelessTag sensors that are small, elegant, unobtrusive and battery powered https://wirelesstag.net/index.html so they don't need power supply and wires. Miniature Lithium battery lasts about 1 year.
            Integration with HS3 is easy explained here
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...rs-integration

Comment

Here used 1-Wire sensors connected to Temp05's and Temp08's. Mostly just DS18B20's were connected with a few combo temperature and humidity sensors.

Today have switched over to modded Sonoff basics with up to 5 DS18B20's connected talking MQTT. It's been a few months and working well.

For a bit was going the RPi route using a USB Maxim 1-wire network. Easier to use the SonOff basics these days.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The RfxCom plugin supports a host of different RF sensors. I have at least 20 Oregon Scientific temperature/humidity sensors around the house and garage.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I believe monoprice has a z wave temp/humidity/motion sensor

Comment

I use the fibaro and homeseer leak detectors and have one aeon multi-sensor. All provide temperature sensors et al. The only downside is the battery required feature and cost.

Comment

I have a few HSM200s which seem to be good, and I have a couple of Qubino thermostat thing that I’m only using for temp readings, but which sports a sensor on a lead, and capable of actuating things which clearly has more potential than what I’m using it for.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X