No announcement yet.

Seperating Homeseer From Primary Desktop to Sole Purpose Computer. Is Vista OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seperating Homeseer From Primary Desktop to Sole Purpose Computer. Is Vista OK

I am finally taking Homeseer off of my primary computer and going to a separate computer. I have an extra computer laying around. It is running the AMD Athelon 64 6000+ (3GH), 500MB HD, and 3MB Ram (Will likely add another MB).
    I plan to have it on battery backup and auto start for HS3 Pro.

Is this sufficient?

It has Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Any other hardware recommendations while I am at it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Friends don't let friends use Vista. Go to Win 10 and never, ever look back. Or look into getting a NUC or other i3 / i5 small desktop. I'm all for saving a buck where I can, but a small investment now could save a world of wonky operations later.
    My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

I have to agree with James, Vista was probably the worst. Resource hungry, slow and unstable - three things you don’t want in something controlling your home. I also would recommend Windows 10, though 7 is also reliable. If you are going to upgrade 10 would be the way to go. Don’t upgrade Vista, go with a clean install of a 64 bit version.

Linux is probably going to be the fastest and least hungry for resources, though I prefer Windows for a variety of reasons. Also not every plug-in is available in Linux.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Here switched to running Homeseer 3 on two boxes to Ubuntu Linux from using Windows Server 2003 standard on Homeseer 2 way long time ago.

It never breaks and just keeps ticking. The over head is Mono which today is owned by Microsoft.

A couple of other servers are running BSD which also never breaks.

I have used Microsoft Windows since the beginning of Windows long time ago.

Just recently built a Windows 2016 Standard server and I like it better than Windows 10 Pro. Much less eye candy and much more function.

You can even run W2016 without a GUI like Linux these days.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

WIN Server 1016 would be great, but the OS is expensive and requires more knowledge to configure. I'm using WIN10 on dedicated NUC and love it.
            tenholde

Comment

Look at all the expenses to fix up that ~10yo machine. OS, memory, UPS, probably going to need a hard drive after 10 years... vs. a new or used laptop. Several years ago I was looking to upgrade my HS machine. It was 7 years old and not quite cutting the mustard. I could upgrade memory, OS, Disk and add a UPS for about $300. OR, I could buy a used IBM i5 ThinkPad with a docking station for $325. I chose the ThinkPad. It was about 4 years ago. It has run HS and Outlook and iTunes 24/7 ever since. No issues. It allowed me to dramatically decrease the footprint, heat and volume level of my wiring closet. When we moved a year+ ago, I was able to carve out a portion of a coat closet and put everything in there. No extra keyboard, mouse or monitor, and, being a laptop it already runs on a battery. Much higher WAF, too!

Just something to consider...

Comment

I'm basically doing the same thing - using an old Laptop but with Windows 10 to run HomeSeer together with HomeSeer to Homekit bridge software (Homebridge).. Its responsive (HomeSeer uses surprisingly little processing power) and I find it easier to set up than a Linux / RPi type setup. You can also easily bring it to devices that don't support Network Wide Inclusion (I have several Schlage locks were you need to be within a few inches of the Z-stick to include them and get proper key exchanges). The Widows Task Scheduler provides an easy to use way to have the laptop auto-login and run applications on boot (or reboot).

Comment

Working...
                X