Rat Killing Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rat Killing Automation

Has anyone tried the Z-Wave Rat exterminator? It's been a while, but we have a rat under our porch (and probably in the attic....). There are other electric mouse traps available, but potentially not having to check it every day would be nice. If anyone has had any experience with it, I'd love to hear it.

THANKS!

The one from Dome? No but I've thought about it several times.

Comment

I have one, it works fine. I get a pushover message when it triggers (twice so far in the last year). Batteries last reasonably long time (charge them about once every 9 months right now)

Comment

For the batteries, it depends on the type used and how bit the critter is. With Dollar Tree batteries they died after two big rats in a row. With better batteries and mice, we've gotten five before needing to change the batteries. It also depends on if you crank up the zap time or not.

Comment

Excellent info. I don't mind changing batteries if it is killing rats. In a previous house I forgot to check on a manual rat trap and then had to deal with the stench of death that reminded me to check it!

THANKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
            Has anyone tried the Z-Wave Rat exterminator? It's been a while, but we have a rat under our porch (and probably in the attic....). There are other electric mouse traps available, but potentially not having to check it every day would be nice. If anyone has had any experience with it, I'd love to hear it.

THANKS!
            Had me one of those and work like a charm. Had construction done a while back and a few rats managed to get under the house and decided to nest. Took a while and had to kill more than a few until all were gone. The z-wave status change told me time to get under the house and re-arm the trap.
            Dirk

Comment

I just bought one..... Arrives Thursday. I'll report back

Comment

I'll be watching....

Comment

Courtesy of our chickens in the backyard, we were getting a lot of mice. With conventional traps I was getting at minimum 1 a day in our garage and/or entertaining area, often more. This went on for a few months. I then bought the Dome Mouse Zapper.

I like to imagine it is creating some kind of high electrical charge "hum", because I kid you not - from the moment I put that Dome Mouse Zapper in our garage 9 months ago we have not had a single mouse. Not one. All gone.

To be honest I have been shattered, as I have actually been looking forward to Siri announcing a zap and to go and go collect a fried rodent. Alas I still await that day.

So I can't even confirm or deny if this baby works, because the threat of it seemed to have caused them to evacuate LOL

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                    Excellent info. I don't mind changing batteries if it is killing rats. In a previous house I forgot to check on a manual rat trap and then had to deal with the stench of death that reminded me to check it!

THANKS!!
                    I fixed my manual trap issue by adding a z-wave door/window sensor. to the door mechanism. Primarily used for chipmunks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_080320.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1249459

Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                    Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                    Number of Devices: 633
                    Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                    2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                    3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                    3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

That's a way of doing it with a live trap! I'll have to remember this.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post

I fixed my manual trap issue by adding a z-wave door/window sensor. to the door mechanism. Primarily used for chipmunks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180925_080320.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1249459
                        Excellent! I'll be doing this mod to a trap in my attic this evening.
                        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Excellent! I'll be doing this mod to a trap in my attic this evening.
                          Locked, loaded and ready to report activity. Thanks for the idea!

Back on topic, also ordered a Dome electronic trap. Came in today and will deploy as soon as I pick up some batteries. Will report results.
                          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
                            So I can't even confirm or deny if this baby works, because the threat of it seemed to have caused them to evacuate LOL
                            That would work for me!

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                              THAT is a fantastic idea! Never crossed my mind. I bet with a glue gun and a wire tie I could set up few old school mouse traps to alert when they have been sprung. FANTASTIC! I love this forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X