Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door Event - need help debugging

Hello all.

Have two garage doors that utilize an appliance module hooked directly to the motor, and sensors on the doors. Was a legacy setup from my Vera days, where a user had created a PO that worked perfectly. Alas, when I moved to HS3, there was no such plugin (to my surprise). jumper4000 had created his own event/script routine, and was nice enough to walk me through setting it up, although admittedly I really didn't understand what it was doing :-)

Fast forward 3 years, and it has been working flawlessly until about a month ago. Now, not always but often, if you open/close the door from the wall switch or the car, it will only go up/down for a few seconds, then stop. Totally has a mind of it's own. I've at least deduced that it something to do with my HS3 setup, because the exact same thing happens with both my doors.

Sadly, i'm still not entire sure how/why this works, and it does seem a bit complicated. I've only done two things that (I think) could have any bearing on this starting to fail. First, I got it working with Alexa, although I think that worked flawlessly for months. The more recent change was a move to a beta of HS3 v460 - I wonder if something changed there. Attached is the device view (virtual device, motion sensor and appliance module), the 3 key events to make it work, and a log I ran when I just tried to open the large garage door from the wall button. stopped a 3rd of the way up after about 3 seconds.

Would LOVE any help before my wife shoots me. she's about at wits end on this :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Large garage device view.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1250522

Name:	large garage event.PNG
Views:	180
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1250523

Name:	Large garage event check.PNG
Views:	142
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	1250524

Name:	Large garage event log.PNG
Views:	192
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1250525
    Last edited by Tomgru; September 30, 2018, 12:42 PM.

fixing pictures

Comment

Hey all.. any thoughts here greatly appreciated, or better/simpler ideas on how to automate this.

thanks.

Comment

You have two controllable devices "Large Garage Door Main" and "Large Garage Door". It looks like "Large Garage Door Main" is a Z-Wave control. You say it is hooked to the motor. Is it acting as a push button for garage door (On to open, On again to close)? Is "Large Garage Door" a virtual device?

I need to understand this to come up with a suggestion.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          You have two controllable devices "Large Garage Door Main" and "Large Garage Door". It looks like "Large Garage Door Main" is a Z-Wave control. You say it is hooked to the motor. Is it acting as a push button for garage door (On to open, On again to close)? Is "Large Garage Door" a virtual device?

I need to understand this to come up with a suggestion.
          You got IT! Yes to both

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, you say you can control it from the wall switch or the car and the problem occurs. Assuming your car transmitter directly controls the door and does not involve HomeSeer, what does the wall switch do? Is it the "Large Garage Door Main"? If so how is it connected to the opener?

Also, just FYI, in your Events "Check if Large Garage Door is open" and "Check if Large Garage Door is closed", you have two triggers "If Garage Doors Garage Large Door sensor changes and becomes opened" and "If Garage Doors Garage Large Door sensor had its value set to opened". When a value is changed, it is also set. This shouldn't but could cause double triggers. Do you need to run the event when the sensor is "set"? Every sensor I have ever seen only changes, it is never set. I would recommend deleting the second trigger in both of the events. I don't think that will fix your problem, but it is a good idea.

Comment

it's a typical old fashioned setup with a button (came with opener) near the door into the house... same with car transmitter... directly controls door. Neither goes through HS3. The appliance module (?) basically attached directly to opener, and acts as another "button".

Ironically, I went back and found the original threads (you are on ), and Jumpers solution thread as well. Sadly still above my head. Partially what was driving this was the ability to see status in Imperihome. Maybe this will help/jog a memory :-)

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-garage-plugin

and his solution:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=24

Comment

How do you open and close the garage door via HS3. Do you toggle the virtual device?

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  How do you open and close the garage door via HS3. Do you toggle the virtual device?
                  yes. don't do it often though. mostly through tablet interfaces if i see the door is open (both locally or remotely). i'd say:

80% of time via car or wall button
                  15% of time via Alexa skill calling the virtual device
                  5% through tablet interface via Imperihome (same VD)

Comment

From what I see in the process it is very probable that when you disable "3 Large Garage Event" , Set the Virtual Device, and then re-enable "3 Large Garage Event" that the timing is causing you problems. For a test, you can add a wait of 3 or 4 seconds between the set of the Virtual Device and the re-enable of the event. If I am correct it would behave exactly as you describe because the button would start the door to open or close and then when the motion sensor changes the virtual device would again trigger the door. Give it a try. Bottom line is the event is triggering even though it is supposed to be disabled. It could be the initial disable of the event is delayed or the re-enable is too soon and the VD change is being detected. There is probably an easier way to do this.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                      From what I see in the process it is very probable that when you disable "3 Large Garage Event" , Set the Virtual Device, and then re-enable "3 Large Garage Event" that the timing is causing you problems. For a test, you can add a wait of 3 or 4 seconds between the set of the Virtual Device and the re-enable of the event. If I am correct it would behave exactly as you describe because the button would start the door to open or close and then when the motion sensor changes the virtual device would again trigger the door. Give it a try.

Bob
                      There is a 3 second wait. Maybe i'm missing the idea?

Comment

The 3 second delay is for the trigger of the motor not the disable and re-enable of the event. Here is how I see this working.

1 You press the wall button or the car transmitter
                        2. The Door operates
                        3. The sensor changes state
                        4. The event 1 Check Garage Door Open runs
                        A. Disable 3 Garage Door Event
                        B. Change State of the VD
                        C. Re-enable the 3 Garage Door Event

The 3 Garage Door Event is disabled to prevent the VD from re-triggering the door

Bob

Comment

I agree that the timing is too tight. Where I was heading was to get rid of the disable event, change virtual device, enable event in both of them. Instead use a simple script to change the virtual device without triggering the event. The first immediate script on the door opened event would be "&hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(1234, 100, False)" where 1234 is the RefID of "Large Garage Door" and 100 is the value for open. Then delete the action to control the device and the second immediate script. Then the closed event would be done the same way except changing the value to 0 for closed. This would allow the virtual device's value to be changed without it being set and triggering the Large Garage Event. In the Large Garage Event I would reduce the wait to 1 second - that is as long as the button needs to be pressed. I would also take the duplicate triggers out of the open and close events, there is no need to trigger on "Set", a change is fine.

Changing the events in this fashion will eliminate any timing issues, and still leave the virtual device available for control or status of the door.

I am watching football tonight, but I would be happy to post examples tomorrow, if this is not clear. Tell me the RefID and values of the virtual device.

Comment

I am now wondering why the Virtual Device is even necessary. The door sensor reports the status of the door (open/close) the "Large Garage Door Main" device will allow HS3 to open and close the door. The only reason that I can assume is that the appliance module for "Large Garage Door Main" does not have a momentary On/Off and the event with the 3 second delay creates the momentary activation. If this is the case. I would create a VD for "Large Garage Door Manual Operation" with an Open and Close button which is only used by HS3. The VD would trigger an event just like "3 Garage Door Event". Next remove the other events an rely on the sensor to display the Open/Closed status of the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                              I am now wondering why the Virtual Device is even necessary. The door sensor reports the status of the door (open/close) the "Large Garage Door Main" device will allow HS3 to open and close the door. The only reason that I can assume is that the appliance module for "Large Garage Door Main" does not have a momentary On/Off and the event with the 3 second delay creates the momentary activation. If this is the case. I would create a VD for "Large Garage Door Manual Operation" with an Open and Close button which is only used by HS3. The VD would trigger an event just like "3 Garage Door Event". Next remove the other events an rely on the sensor to display the Open/Closed status of the door.
                              I thought of the same thing, but I am not sure how that would work with Echo and Imperihome since the virtual device would not always be in sync with the door.

Comment

Working...
                              X