Zooz Z-Wave Power Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zooz Z-Wave Power Strip

I just received information that the Zooz Z-Wave power strip is now available in limited supply.

Safe & Smart Power Up   PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS 5 Z-Wave Plus power outlets for wireless control 2 USB ports for phone / tablet chargers report on / off status to the hub (NO Z-Wave control) Control each outlet individually or all at once via Z-Wave (individual local control from each button) NEW: Power monitoring in ev

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
    I just received information that the Zooz Z-Wave power strip is now available in limited supply.
    it's sad that I want one of these, but can't figure out what i'd really use it for. Just nothing that I need to control 5 devices in one location with on/off capability.

Comment

I’ll give you an example from our house. We have a number of the Aeotec versions. In our master bedroom, living room and basement entertainment room we have a TV, AV receiver, DirecTV receiver, HTPC, Sonos Connect:AMP and subwoofer. We look at the power consumed by the TV and AV receiver to determine if we are watching TV or listening to music. If we are watching or listening another outlet turns the subwoofer on. We don’t leave the subwoofers powered because they consume about 30 watts in standby. Lighting is affected in some rooms when we are watching TV, the power consumed by the TV determines the lighting scene. The HTPC, Sonos and DirecTV receiver also consume a little current in standby. When we are asleep the Sonos, TV, DirecTV and receiver are powered off by the strip. When we are on vacation all of it is turned off. In the media room in the basement, since it is intermittently used, all of the equipment is turned off when we go to sleep. It is only turned on again when the Harmony remote is used to watch TV.

We we also have strips in the garage, shed and server closet.
      Last edited by randy; October 1, 2018, 10:50 AM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

it's sad that I want one of these
        Yes, me too. But maybe I can invent a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          I’ll give you an example from our house. We have a number of the Aeotec versions. In our master bedroom, living room and basement entertainment room we have a TV, AV receiver, DirecTV receiver, HTPC, Sonos Connect:AMP and subwoofer. We look at the power consumed by the TV and AV receiver to determine if we are watching TV or listening to music. If we are watching or listening another outlet turns the subwoofer on. We don’t leave the subwoofers powered because they consume about 30 watts in standby. Lighting is affected in some rooms when we are watching TV, the power consumed by the TV determines the lighting scene. The HTPC, Sonos and DirecTV receiver also consume a little current in standby. When we are asleep the Sonos, TV, DirecTV and receiver are powered off by the strip. When we are on vacation all of it is turned off. In the media room in the basement, since it is intermittently used, all of the equipment is turned off when we go to sleep. It is only turned on again when the Harmony remote is used to watch TV.

We we also have strips in the garage, shed and server closet.
          ah.... [power savings in AV cabinet makes some sense. I run all my stuff through a high end power protector though... not worried about that?

Comment

We have a whole house surge suppressor on the breaker panel. That said, there is no reason the strip couldn't be plugged into a surge suppressor.

Comment

I have the Aeotec individual ones that control:
              1) Cable box
              2) Router
              3) PC running HS3
              4) Rpi running deCONZ for zigbee
              5) NVR security camera recorder
              6) Solaredge Zigbee Gateway
              7) z-net (I knew there was one more thing)

If for example I need to reset the router, I can shut it off (from anywhere) and it will power back on, same for cable box and the other items. Not something I really want to do, but knowing that the outlet will go back to last power state is a big plus. I have the first zooz but that one went to off as default making it useless.

The same would apply to both my A/V system and even to my desktop PC with printer, external hard drive, sound system, monitors, etc.

As long as it works as designed, IMO, Zooz hit a homerun with this.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                I have the Aeotec individual ones that control:
                1) Cable box
                2) Router
                3) PC running HS3
                4) Rpi running deCONZ for zigbee
                5) NVR security camera recorder
                6) Solaredge Zigbee Gateway
                7) z-net (I knew there was one more thing)

If for example I need to reset the router, I can shut it off (from anywhere) and it will power back on, same for cable box and the other items. Not something I really want to do, but knowing that the outlet will go back to last power state is a big plus. I have the first zooz but that one went to off as default making it useless.

The same would apply to both my A/V system and even to my desktop PC with printer, external hard drive, sound system, monitors, etc.

As long as it works as designed, IMO, Zooz hit a homerun with this.
                Once you turn off the power to your router, how is it commanded to turn back on? Are your Z-Nets on a different network? Or your outlets just automatically turn back on when turned off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                  Once you turn off the power to your router, how is it commanded to turn back on? Are your Z-Nets on a different network? Or your outlets just automatically turn back on when turned off?
                  Sorry, I had forgotten that the router is plugged into an old X10 appliance module that turns itself back on after a few seconds (not sure why, but it does). For the others I have events that turn the outlets back on if they've been off for a short time. On a power outage, everything will come back on automatically. At least that's the plan. It's been quite a while since I fiddled with this stuff since it's working fine.

Actually, now that you mention it, I put all the wires in two cabinets over the summer (WAF) and I really should confirm that I re-connected everything properly. Thanks!

Comment

On order - absolutely no idea what I'll use it for. Shipping a bit steep @ ten bucks... Spoiled by Amazon I suppose.

Comment

I bought two and free shipping

Comment

This thing has a lot of goings-on. Testing for a while, will report.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          So How many hs3 devices does it creates , 18?

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            Note that switches 6 and 7 are phantom devices. I deleted mine. Also look at the parameter settings for energy reporting. Mine were at the default of reporting at a 5-watt power change and 30 seconds for watts. KWH was set to 300 seconds. I changed KWH to once an hour (3600) and left the other two where they were.

There are also parameters that can turn an outlet on or off after a preset period of time. This could be useful if you want to cycle a router, switch or anything else that might stop Z-Wave from communicating. Suppose you want to power cycle your network switch, you could set the auto turn-on to 1 minute, allowing you to power it off by Z-Wave and have it turn back on by itself after a minute.

Parameter 1 will set ti to return to the last state after a power failure or return all to off or on.

Comment

Could 6 and 7 be the USB outlets, that in the end did not get z-wave control?

Comment

Working...
                              X