Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel NUC + NAS to run HomeSeer and Blue Iris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel NUC + NAS to run HomeSeer and Blue Iris?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what you think: I want to build a system running HomeSeer along with Blue Iris to record 8 cameras. Since I need a new computer for Blue Iris anyway, what do you think of running them both on the same Intel NUC with an i7 and 16gb of RAM? Blue Iris would handle all the processing, then record files to a NAS with WD Purple drives and some RAID setup.

Do any of you have experience with this? What do you think?

Originally posted by kenmt View Post
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering what you think: I want to build a system running HomeSeer along with Blue Iris to record 8 cameras. Since I need a new computer for Blue Iris anyway, what do you think of running them both on the same Intel NUC with an i7 and 16gb of RAM? Blue Iris would handle all the processing, then record files to a NAS with WD Purple drives and some RAID setup.

Do any of you have experience with this? What do you think?
    Also interested.

8 HD (8MP) cameras?

---
    John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Also interested.

8 HD (8MP) cameras?

---
      John
      Sorry, 8 cameras, ~3-4MP each.

Comment

So I run two different houses. Main and vacation.

I run a server at each house and run Blueiris, HS3, PLEX, Unifi controller and few other small programs on these headless servers.

I have 10 3-4MP cameras on one and 6 4Mp cameras on another. (hikvision cameras)

Blueiris is a CPU and RAM hog, both servers are i7's. one is a 6700 and the other is a 4790. I run 16Gb of RAM in both and I use more then 50% of it. WIth later blueiris versions and intel hardware acceleration you can get the cpu% down if you get everything set just right. Even with 10 3MP cameras blue iris uses only around 6% cpu at idle and up to 12% when recording motion. I have Solid state drives in both (Rack has M.2 disc and mini has a 2.5" SSD) I write direct to disc for the first 80GB or so then offload to another spinning HHD backup drive for storage (I don't use special expensive discs a month worth of recordings are not worth much to me and I have had no HD failure yet).

At one point I was running 30% to 40% cpu usage only on blueiris until I started taking advantage of this web page.
        https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizin...s-s-cpu-usage/

I do run highest quality and bitrate in the cameras and 20FPS and still able to get it down to 6%.

Both computers I built myself one is in a 2u rack mount case and the other is in a mini itx case. A NUC should work, I just didn't like cooling options (I7's run hot in small cases) with the NUC and I think it was said to be noisy also. So I choose to assemble my own mini ITX motherboards and cases.

The mini case build pitcures are here.
        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sjt3x5ba...YGqWn7xha?dl=0

And the rack server build is here.
        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ddwit63yf...9ZLj1cLua?dl=0

The rack mount case I have changed out for better cooling case since the pics, but the mini I have been running for over 3 years now mostly untouched. Had a power supply brick go out that's it so far.

Comment

Works fine 25-30% running blue iris with 6 cams and homeseer
          Using I-7 nuc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
            Using I-7 nuc

Hi Chiphead,

What type of cameras? 8MP?

---
            John

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
              Using I-7 nuc

Thanks! And all video is sent straight to a NAS? Or is it recording on your NUC?

Comment

Recording to NUC

Comment

Working...
                X