Can't check "STATUS ONLY DEVICE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't check "STATUS ONLY DEVICE"

I am setting up my first X10 devices, and have added a Hawkeye motion sensor. It has no controlability, just sends an ON or OFF based on detected motion. I have set the device type to APPLIANCE since it only has on/off (no levels)

I have added the device but the STATUS ONLY DEVICE refuses to be checked. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of this? Why can I not check this box?

Welcome to the HS Board.

X10 devices are a bit of an anomaly. X10 RF devices like the HawkEye are even more so. HS can, in fact, control these devices, so they are sort of a hybrid, part virtual device, part plug-in device. In the end, it really doesn't matter whether or not they are listed as status only or not. More importantly, they are not technically X10 devices for the purposes of HomeSeer because they do not communicate over the power line. They cannot be controlled by the X10 plug-in, but need an RF plug-in for integration into HS.

What are you using as your RF receiver?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have an x10 appliance module with integrated RF receiver (it broadcasts received x10 commands over the PLC). so the X10 commands sent by a hawkeye will show up at my CM11A as received X10 commands.

I didn't think the hawkeyes were controllable (they only sent commands, not received). How can you control them?

Comment

Originally posted by ocgltd View Post
        I didn't think the hawkeyes were controllable (they only sent commands, not received). How can you control them?
        You cannot control the Hawkeyes. But HS does control the HS (virtual) device that corresponds to it. It's an obscure distinction that comes about because the device creation with the X10 plug-in assumes the device is a PLC receiver, such as a light switch, and I'm not sure it matters much, but it can be confusing. I suspect it's also related to the historical relationship of X10 to HS, which had its architecture designed around X10 PLC prior to v3.

FWIW, if you plan to use many X10 RF devices you will find they work much more efficiently with a WGL W800 receiver and a plug-in designed to interface to it. (I can think of three: BLRF, RFXCOM, and SimpleRF.) Not only will you see much faster response, since you do not have to wait for the power line signal, but you will also greatly reduce the amount of X10 traffic, improving the performance of PLC devices as well.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          FWIW, if you plan to use many X10 RF devices you will find they work much more efficiently with a WGL W800 receiver and a plug-in designed to interface to it. (I can think of three: BLRF, RFXCOM, and SimpleRF.) Not only will you see much faster response, since you do not have to wait for the power line signal, but you will also greatly reduce the amount of X10 traffic, improving the performance of PLC devices as well.
          My house wiring has gotten so "noisy" that none of my x10 PLC devices work anymore. But x10 rf keeps going. I do have the wgl w800 and blrf.

Regards
          Michael
          Regards,
          Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Originally posted by mmn View Post

My house wiring has gotten so "noisy" that none of my x10 PLC devices work anymore. But x10 rf keeps going. I do have the wgl w800 and blrf.

Regards
            Michael
            +1 for WGL W800 and BLRF. Those along with a couple of palm pads are only bit of X10 left in my house. The palm pads are used to set lighting scenes in different rooms via HS events. All motion, security, and lighting has been moved to Z-Wave due to interruptions of X10 during various construction projects in the house.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
            X