How to tackle an API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tackle an API

Serial interface RS232 ruled in the good old times. Many hardware vendors would open their systems providing a serial port for control and feedback. Examples Lutron lights, DSC security, Pentair pool, Denon receivers etc. The game has changed today. It is the API that rules today. Almost each of the new connected IoT devices and systems has an API.

HS3 users have two ways of tackling API. First is the passive way. If your device is quite popular, chances are that some plug-in developers will implement a dedicated plug-in for it. You just go and shop for plug-ins. Of course you pay for each one separately.

If you are out of luck and your device is not covered by an existing plug-in or you don't want to pay each time when you introduce a new device than there is another option that is not well known. It is called Big5 plug-in for HS3. It is an universal communication plug-in that covers 5 protocols as the name suggests. It is REST compatible. REST is some sort of a standard that all APIs are build around. You can tackle most of the APIs out there using Big5 plug-in. Big5 is perfect for the good old Serial devices as well.

The advantage of using Big5 is that you pay only once and use it many times for as many APIs and devices as you want. Also this may be your only option if ready made plug-in is not available for your device. The disadvantage is that you have to get dirty getting into the guts of your API and tackling all details. HS3 is made for non-programmers and so is Big5. You don't need to know any programming language to use it. At the same time those JSON API files may look quite scary and confusing for first timers.

I don't know what your post is to serve. White REST is popular, it is not used in all API's! And if you don't know the data elements that pass then your BIG5 is basically useless.

Are you trying to advertise your plugin here? If so, certainly worthwhile, but your post is misleading to the novice in my point of view as it is inaccurate.
    Last edited by Krumpy; October 29, 2018, 05:18 PM.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Can someone impartial said the reality about this?

Maybe the big5 plugin is truly capable to respond to rest api? And maybe the cases that the plugin would need to be more aware of the context are not that frequent?

I’m a noob. So I just want to get a response from someone who do not sell any plugin here??

Comment

I have many years of hardware control experience. Having said that, I certainly have not controlled or written to every type of API as this is not possible because there are so many of them out there. Yes, REST is popular, but certainly not definitive to the point where someone can say that once you buy their plugin then you can talk to every API out there. That is down right absurd! Maybe I misread or misunderstood his point.

Let's break apart what API is. The term API refers to the application programming interface for an application. In my opinion, there are many "interfaces" across many "communication" paths out there. RS232, RS485, TCP, UDP, and the like, are all communication protocols. Not API's!

The importance to utilizing an API is knowing how to use the API. Some API's are public, some are undocumented or private. Trust me, that you're still not going to get anywhere with BIG5 when attempting to interface to a undocumented or private API because you will not have the necessary information in terms of the data exchange and responses.

I have not used BIG5 and do not plan on using it. Maybe it is useful for interfacing to public API's using REST. Keep in mind that there are many API's that are not public, nor do all use a REST interface!

Maybe I am overreacting.... This could be because I personally think that HomeSeer should have this type of functionality natively.

Last edited by Krumpy; October 29, 2018, 06:06 PM.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

My 2 cents: I highly doubt non programmers will digg into API's.

Why are you shilling your plugin in this section anyway ? You have your separate board like all plugin developers have.

Comment

So much love in the air.

Comment

If the plugin get a nice how to’’ (a real pdf of at leat 100 pages) it will be so much easier to play with. 100 pages is not**** that much for all the stuff the plugin covers

It’s like when I explain a psychology concept In my thesis or to someone. I have to writte it like if i was writting to my grand mother.
              The people who read the paper need to say’’ ohh, i could have tought of that , it’s so simple’’

Comment

Originally posted by MattLau View Post
                If the plugin get a nice how to’’ (a real pdf of at leat 100 pages) it will be so much easier to play with. 100 pages is not**** that much for all the stuff the plugin covers

It’s like when I explain a psychology concept In my thesis or to someone. I have to writte it like if i was writting to my grand mother.
                The people who read the paper need to say’’ ohh, i could have tought of that , it’s so simple’’
                I must agree - the documentation isn't up to much

Comment

Nice documentation is coming up 20% done already. More to come soon. Completion in 1-2 weeks. http://lilianv.com/Big5

Comment

Thank you risquare

Comment

Working...
                    X