Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a switch from C4 to HS

Hello all,

For a myriad of reasons I won't get into here... I am considering a switch to HS from a C4 system. So far, everything seems relatively straight forward EXCEPT for the distributed audio system we have. Right now, we're using the Control4 audio matrix to do all the switching for about 10 rooms of wired speakers. The matrix itself is just a switcher, then the outputs go to 2 Origin Acoustics amps, then out to the speakers throughout the home. As for inputs, we primarily only use the 3 Sonos Connects... though we have the ability to listen to just about every video source as well... (but that is not a requirement).

Long story short... My question is whether there is a way for Homeseer to control the C4 audio matrix? If not, I seem to be having a HECK of a time finding an alternative to it (that doesnt include a built in amp, which i dont need). Does anyone have some advice in this area that they can help me with?

Thanks,
    -Matt

Does the C4 Audio Matrix have a serial interface or some other interface to control it? If so, it's likely possible using the free IP/Serial plugin found here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...r-hs3-by-drule
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

C4-16ZAMSV3-B is the model number... There is only a network port on the back. I was under the impression though that all C4 stuff is proprietary?

Comment

Yes, it would be proprietary, but this does not mean that it is impossible to control using alternate methods. You may need to “sniff” the Ethernet/IP traffic if you can’t find anything on the internet that describes how to control it.

Comment

Ugh, that definitely seems beyond my capabilities. Does nobody else make a pre-amp audio matrix switch that can natively be controlled by homeseer?

Comment

Not sure about pre-amp ones. Check under the Audio/Video plugins to see what is available. Russound is popular but I believe it’s amplified. I know Extron makes pre-amp matrix switchers that can be controlled over serial, so can likely be used with the plugin I mentioned in my earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by g8rfn2 View Post
              Hello all,

For a myriad of reasons I won't get into here... I am considering a switch to HS from a C4 system. So far, everything seems relatively straight forward EXCEPT for the distributed audio system we have. Right now, we're using the Control4 audio matrix to do all the switching for about 10 rooms of wired speakers. The matrix itself is just a switcher, then the outputs go to 2 Origin Acoustics amps, then out to the speakers throughout the home. As for inputs, we primarily only use the 3 Sonos Connects... though we have the ability to listen to just about every video source as well... (but that is not a requirement).

Long story short... My question is whether there is a way for Homeseer to control the C4 audio matrix? If not, I seem to be having a HECK of a time finding an alternative to it (that doesnt include a built in amp, which i dont need). Does anyone have some advice in this area that they can help me with?

Thanks,
              -Matt
              I am at the point that I need to pull a plug on one of the two systems. Originally inclined to go with HomeSeer I can't seem to be able to solve the whole house audio integration puzzle in HomeSeer. Did you ever figure this out? If you don't mind post or PM me your C4 experience and why you are not happy with C4.

Comment

Would this work?

https://www.htd.com/Lync12_4

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                  It's a bit more complicated in my case. I have an AV receiver in the mix so what I need to be able to do is use the AV receiver to drive the surround sound speakers and zone 2 and at the same time pipe the same audio to the other 3 zones

Comment

Originally posted by alx.gavrilov@gmail.com View Post

It's a bit more complicated in my case. I have an AV receiver in the mix so what I need to be able to do is use the AV receiver to drive the surround sound speakers and zone 2 and at the same time pipe the same audio to the other 3 zones
                    I guess I would be willing to use a Denon 3 zone receiver and use pre-amp for the extra pair of speakers. My main interest is specific interest why people switch from C4 to HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by alx.gavrilov@gmail.com View Post
                      ...My main interest is specific interest why people switch from C4 to HomeSeer.
                      I worked for a C4 dealer and was a C4 installer for many years. I liked their system. Well polished and well supported. Control 4 is a great system if you are willing to forgo the ability to make many types of changes to the system and want to pay your authorized C4 dealer to make said changes.

I no longer work for that C4 dealer, and thus have lost my access to modify the system to my needs. I did not want to have to call my C4 dealer every time I made various changes to the system.

Bottom line, HomeSeer gives me the best of both worlds. I and make any changes I want and it is supported.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

I worked for a C4 dealer and was a C4 installer for many years. I liked their system. Well polished and well supported. Control 4 is a great system if you are willing to forgo the ability to make many types of changes to the system and want to pay your authorized C4 dealer to make said changes.

I no longer work for that C4 dealer, and thus have lost my access to modify the system to my needs. I did not want to have to call my C4 dealer every time I made various changes to the system.

Bottom line, HomeSeer gives me the best of both worlds. I and make any changes I want and it is supported.
                        Do you have HomeSeer integrated for AV receiver/TV/Cable box/Audio control, if so what's the setup (the goal is to control this from a single remote/tablet interface)? Do you have wall mounted tablet interface, if so what do you use for UI? Thanks.

Comment

I do not have my system integrated with my AV receiver/TV/Cable box/Audio control. I find HomeSeer to be extremely lacking in this area.

Comment

It is lacking no doubt - I do use the SONOS plugin and although not perfect but gives me integration to my different rooms, allows me to group, does announcements etc - the developer is also extremely accessible -

If you have a business it is not hard to become an RTI distributor and you than have access to all the tools and the system - I have this but decided to go with HS - I do however wish as you most - it was better at AV -

Comment

Originally posted by harvito View Post
                              It is lacking no doubt - I do use the SONOS plugin and although not perfect but gives me integration to my different rooms, allows me to group, does announcements etc - the developer is also extremely accessible -

If you have a business it is not hard to become an RTI distributor and you than have access to all the tools and the system - I have this but decided to go with HS - I do however wish as you most - it was better at AV -
                              Interesting thought... what about an HS <-> RTI integration? Is it even possible? I dunno.... intriguing..

Comment

Working...
                              X