Any other HUB needed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other HUB needed??

I am planning my smart home setup. I am planning to use all HOMESEER HS-WS200+ switches and dimmers for lights.
    Also planning on using the HS door and windows sensors.
    I have a HomeTroller-SEL to manage it all. Do I need any other smart home hub for this much?

I may also add some of the LUTRON SERENA Smart Shades. They work of the CASETA remotes. If I want to talk to those with HOMESEER, do I need a WINK HUB or something like that?

Also planning to use AMCREST IP cameras, and a LENNOX iComfort S30 thermostat.
    So my question really is about controllers and having it all be able to talk to the HOMESEER controller..
    I am trying to avoid having a stack of multiple controllers.. so is there one controller to rule them all?

Thanks.
    Brandon

Originally posted by bamg7777 View Post
    I am planning my smart home setup. I am planning to use all HOMESEER HS-WS200+ switches and dimmers for lights.
    Also planning on using the HS door and windows sensors.
    I have a HomeTroller-SEL to manage it all. Do I need any other smart home hub for this much?

I may also add some of the LUTRON SERENA Smart Shades. They work of the CASETA remotes. If I want to talk to those with HOMESEER, do I need a WINK HUB or something like that?

Also planning to use AMCREST IP cameras, and a LENNOX iComfort S30 thermostat.
    So my question really is about controllers and having it all be able to talk to the HOMESEER controller..
    I am trying to avoid having a stack of multiple controllers.. so is there one controller to rule them all?

Thanks.
    Brandon
    In order to control the Homeseer light dimmers, switches, window/door sensors you will need a z-wave interface. I use a z-net but there are a few people here that also use the SmartStick+. Either one will work depending on the distance between z-wave devices.

Also, when you start installing your z-wave devices, start with the powered devices first (dimmers, switches) then move to the battery powered devices, that way you have a well established z-wave network first.

I don’t have a LUTRON but from what I’ve seen in this forum, it looks like you need a SmartBridge Pro to interface Homeseer with your shades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The SEL does not have a built-in Z-wave interface so you will need a SmartStick or Z-Net. I recommend the Z-Net over the SmartStick+ because of the ability to optimally place the Z-Net for best Z-Wave coverage. It you use the SmartStick+ it will need to be plugged into the the SEL which may not give you the best Z-Wave coverage.

For the Lutron Serena Smart Shades you will need the Caseta bridge and the driver.

Comment

Using multiple Z-Wave hubs is not easy to do. In theory, you should be able to do it as Z-Wave supports secondary hubs, the reality is that the hubs won't talk to each other and it can be difficult to make it work. Not something for someone just starting out. As for doin everything with a single hub, HomeSeer is about as good as you are going to find for hubs that allow you to mix technologies and brands as well as have powerful ability to write scripts and events. However, from your listing, I suspect you will find the proposed set of Thermostats, Shades, and IP Cameras will be difficult to integrate and you may want to consider alternatives.

As for the Thermostats, HomeSeer generally handles non-zwave thermostats using Plug-Ins. Usually these are written by third-parties and you have to pay extra. I don't think one is available for Lennox thermostats. I use one with my Honeywell thermostats and it works well. There are also plugins available for Nest and Ecobee. If you want control of the Thermostats by HomeSeer, you may want to consider a different thermostat (or do some more research to see if there is a way to control the Lennox S30 from HomeSeer). As a practical matter, if you are using HomeSeer for the "intelligence" behind your HVAC system, you can make do with a less costly thermostat.

As far as your shades, there is a Lutron Caseta plugin - maybe it also supports shades - you might want to drop a note to the author of that plugin.

For cameras, I have an Amcrest camera and have never managed to get it to work well with HomeSeer. Consider skipping HomeSeer for this and get something like the Logitech Circle 2 which has native support for Apple's Homekit as well as the Google Assistant. It will cost you more than using the inexpensive Amcrest, but you'll have fewer headaches.

My suggestion - as you plan the purchase of shades, thermostats, cameras, look for something that supports your smartphones "native" platform (i.e., Google Home Assistant if on Android, or Apple HomeKit) but for which a HomeSeer plugin is also available. Ecobee supports both platforms for Thermostats as does Logitech Circle 2 for cameras. For Shades, I don't know. Also, if you're using your phone as a primary interface you can bridge HomeSeer to both Google's Home (via built-in functionality) and to Apple's HomeKit environment (via free Homebridge software and this plugin: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebr...er-plugin-2018 )

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X