Door Lock ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lock ideas?

I would like to look into z-wave door locks. I want one without the number pad, do they make one? and do they make them in a lower profile design? I know they need batteries to operate, but most of what I'm finding are huge. Below is a link to the smallest one I found, but it still has a number pad on the outside, I just want a little key hole like I have now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N12EKB4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

You can find all of the Z-Wave certified locks here: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...ies/6/products
    Some may be certified but have not made it to market yet.
    I thinkt he closest to what you are looking for is the August or the Kwikset 9145 locks. I'd recommend you pick from one of the Z-Wave Plus locks and avoid the older "non-Plus" series as they are harder to add to a hub.

Comment

Kwikset seems to have the line your looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Signa...tery+door+lock

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnston View Post
        I would like to look into z-wave door locks. I want one without the number pad, do they make one? and do they make them in a lower profile design? I know they need batteries to operate, but most of what I'm finding are huge. Below is a link to the smallest one I found, but it still has a number pad on the outside, I just want a little key hole like I have now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N12EKB4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
        This is not a z-wave lock.

Comment

Something to think about... Do you really want a computer controlled lock externally accessible? I have one on my mudroom which is only accessible from the garage. So, one needs to open the garage door, and then they will have access to the z-wave lock.

Food for thought.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
            Something to think about... Do you really want a computer controlled lock externally accessible? I have one on my mudroom which is only accessible from the garage. So, one needs to open the garage door, and then they will have access to the z-wave lock.

Food for thought.
            I have thought about this.

Aren't most garage doors controlled by an opener that is computer controlled and externally accessible by the opener in one's car and possibly a secondary keypad device with a PIN code that is externally accessible as well?

Even if the door lock is not physically accessible as would be the case if it were on a front door it is still externally accessible via z-wave. I guess I don't see how the fact that a lock that might have a keypad is all that less secure than a normal keyed lock. Keyed locks can be easily bypassed *** sorts of ways.

My grandfather once told me "Locks are there to keep honest people out. A burglar will find a way in." Most residential burglaries are crimes of opportunity. Thieves don't generally want to spend time trying to pick a lock or try guessing a PIN code. They would rather look for easy entry by let's say an unlocked door. I think it would be more secure to know that the locked is locked.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I have read that Kwikset is one of the easiest locks to pick. I think they are also easy to bump. I have seen someone on youtube bump a lock and they were in about 15 seconds. I would think the lock with a pin code would be harder to get in. I don't have anything fancy in my house so I doubt a hacker is going to waste time trying to hack my wifi / Z-wave network.

Comment

I am not worried about someone trying to "hack" the pin lock. Mine locks out for 30 seconds if multiple false tries are made, which would slow down any potential hacker.

My zwave lock (Schlage) has a key override, so bumping is possible. I do change the combo monthly so that my buttons do not get worn down unevenly.

But lets face it, the potential burglar is not going to spend time trying to pick/hack/whatever at the front door. He will just kick it in, or he will go around the back, and try a rear door.

And when he did, he set off my burglar alarm. Managed to get away before the police arrived, unfortunately. (Camera now installed, so I can now get a pciture of him should he try again).

Comment

I have this one I have used through an ISY device and the ISY plugin for over a year now with no problem, batteries have not needed changing yet either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1M66FC

I'm not too worried about hackers hacking the lock as there are front windows right by the door that will get them in nearly as fast. But our security cameras and alarm system will catch them either way, and our dogs might have a discussion with them too.

Comment

Working...
                  X