2019 Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
    I think it's possible either via IronPython or PythonNet...
    IronPython is very old, I wasn't sure if it was still supported, but there was a release February 16, 2018...
    pythonnet had a commit on GitHub yesterday... Yeah, decisions, decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
      IronPython is very old, I wasn't sure if it was still supported, but there was a release February 16, 2018...
      pythonnet had a commit on GitHub yesterday... Yeah, decisions, decisions...
      Exactly... I've been watching PythonNet and hoping....I'm hoping to have time over the summer to delve into this more as having a native Python interface would open the development options enormously! I develop for Universal Devices ISY as well and their nodeservers are Python which is a pleasant development experience

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        impacts WAF.
        That's very true

Comment

It's more the impact of doing so. The work to redo events, displays (Imperihome, HS Mobile, HS Touch, etc.) all takes time and impacts WAF.
          I think hst should sell the plugin to another author if the developper officially stopped working on them. Or at least, ask the author to sell them on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post

I think hst should sell the plugin to another author if the developper officially stopped working on them. Or at least, ask the author to sell them on the board.
            I agree, they should hold the source code in escrow or on a private github space, or something like that. I think most plugin authors would be supportive of that.
            HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I agree, they should hold the source code in escrow or on a private github space, or something like that. I think most plugin authors would be supportive of that.
              There have been instances where a plugin author has sought out a new maintainer. It happens although not as often as it should I think.

Comment

There have been instances where a plugin author has sought out a new maintainer. It happens although not as often as it should I think.
                Yes, but a sudden death or serious illness by an author does not allow that to occur. One of the developers that had developed a calendar plugin based on my calendar scripts had contacted me about taking it over and I was willing to do so, but all of a sudden he stopped replying to my messages and he has not been on the board since. No idea what happened to him.
                HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Yes, but a sudden death by an author does not allow that to occur. One of the developers that had developed a calendar plugin based on my calendar scripts had contacted me about taking it over and I was willing to do so, but all of a sudden he stopped replying to my messages and he has not been on the board since. No idea what happened to him.
                  UltraJones???? <half way kidding as he's not responding either>

Very true as sudden things do happen and authors just lose interest at times or move on to other systems....it does happen.

Comment

Honestly I have no problem paying for good plugins and have been burned when the developers abandon them. If they are going to do so the code should be made open source so that the work can continue. Still extremely pissed about the harmony, finsmyphone and HomeKit plug-ins among others. For the folks developing and not charging to just help their needs and that of the community I of course praise you for the act of nobility and donate for those efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                      I think hst should sell the plugin to another author if the developper officially stopped working on them.
                      That's what author of izHeatmiserNEO did - offered source code of his plugins for sale. I was interested in Heatmiser plugin, but for me it was too much he asked - it won't pay off, HS sales don't make too much money. So I wrote new Hetmiser plugin myself.

[EDIT] This discussion is off-topic...

Comment

Exactly... I've been watching PythonNet and hoping....I'm hoping to have time over the summer to delve into this more as having a native Python interface would open the development options enormously!
                        IronPython doesn't support Python 3 yet, which is scary because Python 2 is officially discontinued.
                        But I think IronPython is still the only option for HS (vs. Python.NET) as HS plugin code must be .NET - then you can call Python from C#.
                        And Python.NET is opposite - you can call C# from Python, which is not suitable for HS plugin.

Comment

Working...
                        X