Smoke Detector - CO - Z-Wave - 10 Year Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
    They do eat batteries, but we replace them every Memorial Day (arbitrarily chosen date). Attic temps reach above 120 some days so it could be the heat eating the batteries. After two years, I tested them with some match smoke and they functioned properly and communicated with HS quickly.
    I'm seeing about a year to a year and a half as well in my 'normal' usage so yours don't seem to be eating any more than the ones we have.

Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Other battery operated FirstAlert alarms and the Nests mentioned in this thread can interconnect with each other without the need for a hub or gateway. Not sure I'd want to bet my family's life on whether HomeSeer was up and running at the time...
      If power is out and no backup, then HS can't help you. They're really, really loud.

I have my six FA z-wave units via event in HS to turn on lights, speak on the Google Home minis throughout the house and also ring two Aeotec Gen 5 doorbell units with a special mp3. One ringer is in the main bedroom where it will wake us up at night.

They are great units. I only had one low battery issue and it was because of a dirty sensor. I called FA and they said gently blow air through the vents. Nearly guaranteed a spider died in there and interfered. I did as recommended, changed the batteries and it never acted up again. Battery life is excellent.

FWIW, I spend quite a bit of time in rent assisted buildings in NYC and boros. It's amazing how many people just let their smoke and/or CO alarms just beep from low battery warnings until the battery dies. So I do understand the need for better regulation and control.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        ....FWIW, I spend quite a bit of time in rent assisted buildings in NYC and boros. It's amazing how many people just let their smoke and/or CO alarms just beep from low battery warnings until the battery dies. So I do understand the need for better regulation and control.
        And if you wonder why they want non-replaceable batteries, its because the 10 Lithium Energizer batteries (like in a NEST Protect) work GREAT in an XBox/Playstation controller when their batteries run out! Don't ask me how I know. ...but I have a teen.

Comment

Working...
        X