Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remotec ZTS-500 Z-wave thermostat experiences, recommend or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remotec ZTS-500 Z-wave thermostat experiences, recommend or not?

I'm considering the thermostat (Remotec ZTS-500) for an installation in N. California with two-stage gas furnace and single-stage AC. It appears to make a lot of sense with all of the programming in Homeseer. Does anybody care to share experiences? Would the 2F (or 4F or 6F) delta between the setpoint and thermometer trigger my second stage of natural gas heat? Any reason to consider one of the other Z-wave offerings over this model? Does it work reliably from 24VAC with a common wire? Some Amazon reviews indicate it doesn't, but one never knows the competence of the installer.

No responses? I installed this thermostat a few days ago. Mostly I like it. The user interface at the thermostat itself is fairly basic, and no programming ability is included at the thermostat level. Which makes sense, I configured the scheduling using EasyTrigger. No touch screen, just an LED display which only lights when a button is pressed. Eventually I would like to get fancier and configure HS3 to watch motion sensors inside the house to generate a "home" or "away" signal.

The one thing odd I have noticed about this thermostat is that it doesn't immediately turn on the HVAC with a one degree difference between setpoint and thermometer. Instead it will wait a while, sort of a filtered response. I can set it two degrees higher, which will fire the heater, then set it back to one degree higher than the thermometer and it will run to the commanded temperature. I'm not sure there is any way to change this behavior internal to the tstat.

Odd thing number two: it is sometimes slow to update the thermometer temperature, and doesn't automatically do so after a reboot of HS3.

Comment

So it turns out there is a programmable "dead zone" in the thermostat. It defaults to two degrees, which isn't as responsive as I like. I set it to one degree and it now responds as expected.

Comment

Recently installed three of them in this new location that only has three-zone heating instead of re-purposing a Nest or getting an EcoBee, so the "dead zone" knowledge will come in handy. Still too freaking hot in Ohio to consider turning it on, but I have been testing the responsiveness and was very pleased with how fast it updated HomeSeer when manually adjusting set-point on the ZTS-500 or how fast the device updated when adjusting values within HomeSeer.

Or was your odd thing related to how quick the thermostat sensor reacts to temperature changes in the room?

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
          Or was your odd thing related to how quick the thermostat sensor reacts to temperature changes in the room?
          Sometimes it would appear to be slow to update the thermometer-measured temperature to HS3, but as I think back on my interactions with it recently (almost always through HSTouch on an Android phone) I don't recall seeing this issue lately. It doesn't seem to update HS3 after a reboot, however.

Comment

Working...
          X