VMWare server under utilized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare server under utilized

I have a nice server with enough cpu, memory and HD. I currently host several machines including of course HS. I would like to do more with it. I'm looking for ideas and toward the outside world collection. as of an example, I could store stock values from the internet, weather and etc. What do you guys do other than using for HS home automation?

Virtualized pfSense firewall.

Comment

Thanks, great tip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

mysql server as a backend to kodi.
        blueiris or ispy server
        log server
        dns server
        web server

Comment

MQTT Broker
          Node-Red
          Pi-Hole
          TIG Stack (Telegraf-InfluxDB-Grafana)
          WeeWx (Weather Station Software)
          VPN Server
          Home Theater Apps (Plex Media Server,Tautulli,Sonarr, Radarr,SABnzbd,Jackett,Qbittorrent)

I've migrated all of my Home Theater apps from VMware ESXi VMs to Docker on Ubuntu 18.04 - and love it - better performance with lower hardware specs than VMs, portability and ease of upgrading without worry about dependencies...Check out DockSTARTer
          Also, I've migrated away from VMware ESXi 6.5 to KVM using Proxmox....it's free, as fast or better than VMware and doesn't have the strict hardware requirements that ESXi does...

Comment

MS Hyper-V Server 2016 hosting seven guests:

A domain controller, which is also the DNS and DHCP server for the LAN.
            pfSense firewall/router, including HAProxy package for publishing services to the web. Is also the VPN server.
            An admin machine that's domain joined.
            Blue Iris.
            A home media server (Plex + Sonarr + Radarr + SABNZBd + SMB share for photos).
            HomeSeer, same guest also hosts Traccar for tracking the car.
            A backup server (DPM 2016).

Comment

For those with a guest VM running Blue iris... any issues with performance ?... .. i did not think that hardware acceleration was used in VMs... so i thought that the performance would suffer?

Any one want to share their experience?
              Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Yes, I did have performance issues when I ran Blue Iris on a VM with 11 cameras. So, I migrated it to a dedicated PC with an i7-6700 processor, 16 GB RAM and a 4 TB NAS drive. The processor utilization now peaks at 35%. I have motion based recording turned on and typically store 3 months of recording. It was a good decision to move this app off VMware.

Comment

Great input everyone. I was also looking into data collection from outside world. As an example I have torque pro that collect my car data, Im trying to get those data in grafana and etc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X