No announcement yet.

Door phones- Doorbird vs. Ring. vs. ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door phones- Doorbird vs. Ring. vs. ??

I know that there have been other threads but I am curious on the current thoughts on Door Phones.

I am leaning towards Doorbird but want the best integration with HS3. I know Ring is popular with non-HA homes and their is a monthly fee for cloud.
    The Doorbirds are pricey but I don't mind making the investment if they are the best solution and look good.

I have IP Cams with Blue Iris / HS3 integration which works great.

My current doorbell setup is pretty cool using a Channel Vision Front Door Intercom Controller For 1 Door (P-0920) controlled by HSPhone. It works great, triggered by a closed contact and makes an announcement in an British voice at the while at the same time triggering Blue Iris. I don't have 2-way communication but it records the message and sends by email. It however is outdated and I run HSPhone on my old Homeseer box and nothing else.

Thanks!
    DSteiNeuro

DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Doorbird rocks. Integrates nicely as a camera in Blue Iris as well, and the Doorbird plugin works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by mk1 black limited View Post
      Doorbird rocks. Integrates nicely as a camera in Blue Iris as well, and the Doorbird plugin works flawlessly.
      Thanks!
      DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
      BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

I have a Doorbird. It's just OK to be honest. The Doorbird system uses their servers based in Europe. I live in New Zealand and there is a significant delay between someone pushing the doorbell and the app connecting. Sometimes it can take up to 15 seconds for the app to connect by which time the delivery guy is walking away.
        I have a very good internet connection with low local atency, and good networking gear. So it's not a local setup issue. Search around and you will find quite a few with similar issues.
        Mk1 (poster above) is in Norway so probably has less latency to the Doorbird servers. You are in the US, not as far as NZ, but I doubt it will connect as quickly as it does for the Europeans. Not saying this is always the case, but doing some reading. If I was doing this again I would choose a doorbell that has a local/built in server...if such a thing exists. Even something like a SIP based doorbell would be worth investigating.
        I do have Blue Iris and it's easy to get a feed from the Doorbird. There's even a HS Doorbird plugin which allows you to review the last 10 captured images.
        One other nice thing about the Doorbird is that there is a contact closure relay you can control for things like garage doors, mag locks etc.
        My 2 cents worth.
        Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
          I have a Doorbird. It's just OK to be honest. The Doorbird system uses their servers based in Europe. I live in New Zealand and there is a significant delay between someone pushing the doorbell and the app connecting. Sometimes it can take up to 15 seconds for the app to connect by which time the delivery guy is walking away.
          I have a very good internet connection with low local atency, and good networking gear. So it's not a local setup issue. Search around and you will find quite a few with similar issues.
          Mk1 (poster above) is in Norway so probably has less latency to the Doorbird servers. You are in the US, not as far as NZ, but I doubt it will connect as quickly as it does for the Europeans. Not saying this is always the case, but doing some reading. If I was doing this again I would choose a doorbell that has a local/built in server...if such a thing exists. Even something like a SIP based doorbell would be worth investigating.
          I do have Blue Iris and it's easy to get a feed from the Doorbird. There's even a HS Doorbird plugin which allows you to review the last 10 captured images.
          One other nice thing about the Doorbird is that there is a contact closure relay you can control for things like garage doors, mag locks etc.
          My 2 cents worth.
          Marty.
          I live in the US and have noticed the latency issue as well. Connecting remotely takes a good 10 to 15 seconds, speaking with someone remotely is nearly impossible. I have 2 other issues of note as well. The resolution of the image is listed as being dynamic VGA to HDTV; with 720p as the best available image. My doorbird is connected via ethernet with a feed going to blue iris. The image quality always appears fairly poor to me. The other issue is that within a year of use the center portion of the image became blurred out. I don't know if this is mechanical due to people trying to use the lens as the doorbell push button or because the unit faces east and the CMOS sensor has become damaged.

I love the look of the unit, that it can connect via ethernet, and that I can send the feed to blue iris. Im not happy with the latency; although I'm not sure any remote video doorbell fares any better. I'm not happy with the video quality. I doubt I'd buy a doorbird again unless the video quality was substantially improved.

Here are some of the most recent images saved from the doorbird app (IOS version) from when people rang the bell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	db IMG_3003.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	1284539

Name:	db IMG_3004.PNG
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	1284540

Name:	db IMG_3005.PNG
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	1284541

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

I live in the US and have noticed the latency issue as well. Connecting remotely takes a good 10 to 15 seconds, speaking with someone remotely is nearly impossible. I have 2 other issues of note as well. The resolution of the image is listed as being dynamic VGA to HDTV; with 720p as the best available image. My doorbird is connected via ethernet with a feed going to blue iris. The image quality always appears fairly poor to me. The other issue is that within a year of use the center portion of the image became blurred out. I don't know if this is mechanical due to people trying to use the lens as the doorbell push button or because the unit faces east and the CMOS sensor has become damaged.

I love the look of the unit, that it can connect via ethernet, and that I can send the feed to blue iris. Im not happy with the latency; although I'm not sure any remote video doorbell fares any better. I'm not happy with the video quality. I doubt I'd buy a doorbird again unless the video quality was substantially improved.

Here are some of the most recent images saved from the doorbird app (IOS version) from when people rang the bell.

The image quality looks a bit better in Synology when you try this : https://www.doorbird.com/downloads/cnt_synology.pdf otherwise the camera is too small to give you a good image.

Eman.

Comment

Working...
            X