Door phones- Doorbird vs. Ring. vs. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door phones- Doorbird vs. Ring. vs. ??

I know that there have been other threads but I am curious on the current thoughts on Door Phones.

I am leaning towards Doorbird but want the best integration with HS3. I know Ring is popular with non-HA homes and their is a monthly fee for cloud.
    The Doorbirds are pricey but I don't mind making the investment if they are the best solution and look good.

I have IP Cams with Blue Iris / HS3 integration which works great.

My current doorbell setup is pretty cool using a Channel Vision Front Door Intercom Controller For 1 Door (P-0920) controlled by HSPhone. It works great, triggered by a closed contact and makes an announcement in an British voice at the while at the same time triggering Blue Iris. I don't have 2-way communication but it records the message and sends by email. It however is outdated and I run HSPhone on my old Homeseer box and nothing else.

Thanks!
    DSteiNeuro

DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Doorbird rocks. Integrates nicely as a camera in Blue Iris as well, and the Doorbird plugin works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by mk1 black limited View Post
      Doorbird rocks. Integrates nicely as a camera in Blue Iris as well, and the Doorbird plugin works flawlessly.
      Thanks!
      DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
      BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

I have a Doorbird. It's just OK to be honest. The Doorbird system uses their servers based in Europe. I live in New Zealand and there is a significant delay between someone pushing the doorbell and the app connecting. Sometimes it can take up to 15 seconds for the app to connect by which time the delivery guy is walking away.
        I have a very good internet connection with low local atency, and good networking gear. So it's not a local setup issue. Search around and you will find quite a few with similar issues.
        Mk1 (poster above) is in Norway so probably has less latency to the Doorbird servers. You are in the US, not as far as NZ, but I doubt it will connect as quickly as it does for the Europeans. Not saying this is always the case, but doing some reading. If I was doing this again I would choose a doorbell that has a local/built in server...if such a thing exists. Even something like a SIP based doorbell would be worth investigating.
        I do have Blue Iris and it's easy to get a feed from the Doorbird. There's even a HS Doorbird plugin which allows you to review the last 10 captured images.
        One other nice thing about the Doorbird is that there is a contact closure relay you can control for things like garage doors, mag locks etc.
        My 2 cents worth.
        Marty.
        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post
          I have a Doorbird. It's just OK to be honest. The Doorbird system uses their servers based in Europe. I live in New Zealand and there is a significant delay between someone pushing the doorbell and the app connecting. Sometimes it can take up to 15 seconds for the app to connect by which time the delivery guy is walking away.
          I have a very good internet connection with low local atency, and good networking gear. So it's not a local setup issue. Search around and you will find quite a few with similar issues.
          Mk1 (poster above) is in Norway so probably has less latency to the Doorbird servers. You are in the US, not as far as NZ, but I doubt it will connect as quickly as it does for the Europeans. Not saying this is always the case, but doing some reading. If I was doing this again I would choose a doorbell that has a local/built in server...if such a thing exists. Even something like a SIP based doorbell would be worth investigating.
          I do have Blue Iris and it's easy to get a feed from the Doorbird. There's even a HS Doorbird plugin which allows you to review the last 10 captured images.
          One other nice thing about the Doorbird is that there is a contact closure relay you can control for things like garage doors, mag locks etc.
          My 2 cents worth.
          Marty.
          I live in the US and have noticed the latency issue as well. Connecting remotely takes a good 10 to 15 seconds, speaking with someone remotely is nearly impossible. I have 2 other issues of note as well. The resolution of the image is listed as being dynamic VGA to HDTV; with 720p as the best available image. My doorbird is connected via ethernet with a feed going to blue iris. The image quality always appears fairly poor to me. The other issue is that within a year of use the center portion of the image became blurred out. I don't know if this is mechanical due to people trying to use the lens as the doorbell push button or because the unit faces east and the CMOS sensor has become damaged.

I love the look of the unit, that it can connect via ethernet, and that I can send the feed to blue iris. Im not happy with the latency; although I'm not sure any remote video doorbell fares any better. I'm not happy with the video quality. I doubt I'd buy a doorbird again unless the video quality was substantially improved.

Here are some of the most recent images saved from the doorbird app (IOS version) from when people rang the bell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	db IMG_3003.PNG
Views:	803
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	1284539

Name:	db IMG_3004.PNG
Views:	772
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	1284540

Name:	db IMG_3005.PNG
Views:	769
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	1284541
          HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
          Number of Devices: 1005
          Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

I live in the US and have noticed the latency issue as well. Connecting remotely takes a good 10 to 15 seconds, speaking with someone remotely is nearly impossible. I have 2 other issues of note as well. The resolution of the image is listed as being dynamic VGA to HDTV; with 720p as the best available image. My doorbird is connected via ethernet with a feed going to blue iris. The image quality always appears fairly poor to me. The other issue is that within a year of use the center portion of the image became blurred out. I don't know if this is mechanical due to people trying to use the lens as the doorbell push button or because the unit faces east and the CMOS sensor has become damaged.

I love the look of the unit, that it can connect via ethernet, and that I can send the feed to blue iris. Im not happy with the latency; although I'm not sure any remote video doorbell fares any better. I'm not happy with the video quality. I doubt I'd buy a doorbird again unless the video quality was substantially improved.

Here are some of the most recent images saved from the doorbird app (IOS version) from when people rang the bell.

The image quality looks a bit better in Synology when you try this : https://www.doorbird.com/downloads/cnt_synology.pdf otherwise the camera is too small to give you a good image.

Eman.
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I have the Doorbird at one location and Ring Pro at another. The image quality and amount of latency with the Ring Pro is vastly better than Doorbird even though Doorbird is connected via an Ethernet cable. The ability to integrate Doorbird into HS3 is a real advantage, as it drives other events for me. I can see and speak to someone at the Doorbird via Blue Iris and lately that has been my preferred method. The biggest issue I have with Doorbird is that support is slow to non-existent. Ring support has been outstanding. The Doorbird was installed flush into an outside wall so I'm stuck with it for now. Even the newer Doorbirds won't fit because the cutout size has changed. The Doorbird does look great, though!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckk9032 View Post
                The ability to integrate Doorbird into HS3 is a real advantage, as it drives other events for me. I can see and speak to someone at the Doorbird via Blue Iris and lately that has been my preferred method.
                Can you please elaborate a bit on your setup, how HS/Doorbird/BlueIris are connected?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                  Can you please elaborate a bit on your setup, how HS/Doorbird/BlueIris are connected?
                  In Blue Iris, I've enabled both the microphone and speaker function for the DoorBird camera. When someone pushed the doorbell button, the DoorBird app notifies, but the latency to get a picture is so slow that I just open the Blue Iris app and converse from there. Of course, that works whether someone rings the bell or not.

Comment

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-19 181303.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1293677
                    BTW, here is an image from the DoorBird camera through Blue Iris (on the UI3 web interface, so a little degraded)

Comment

Originally posted by chuckk9032 View Post
                      In Blue Iris, I've enabled both the microphone and speaker function for the DoorBird camera. When someone pushed the doorbell button, the DoorBird app notifies, but the latency to get a picture is so slow that I just open the Blue Iris app and converse from there.
                      So you mean it's not using HS? DoorBird is connected to Blue Iris directly?

Comment

It is connected to HS for events but the DoorBird camera is connected directly to Blue Iris. I’ve never tried routing the cameras though HS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have recently installed a Nest Hello and I'm impressed. It also integrates with BlueIris from a video feed perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by bmsmithvb View Post
                            I have recently installed a Nest Hello and I'm impressed. It also integrates with BlueIris from a video feed perspective.
                            What's the response time like? How quickly do you establish a feed once you get the button press notification?
                            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by mminehan View Post

What's the response time like? How quickly do you establish a feed once you get the button press notification?
                              That is why I picked the Nest Hello -- the response time is the best. When I see the alert, I open my phone/tablet immediately -- after things load up I am still able to catch the person standing there or if the FedEx/UPS driver rings the doorbell and leaves, I still have a chance to talk to them if that helps answer your question?

Comment

Working...
                              X