Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Sale?

Greetings, all.

After a couple years of planning and work we are finally in the build process for our new home!!! :-)

The footers are in and the foundation walls are being poured in the next stretch of warm weather. We are looking to be moved in by August.

That being said, this last end-of-year sale was way too early for me, and next end-of-year will be too late. I know HS typically has a summer sale as well but I was just so bogged down that I missed the details last year. I am wondering if anyone here has some info on what was run so I can do some planning.

Is the summer sale right around early July or another time?
    What has historically been the sale? I am most likely to pick up a SEL-Pro. My wife is more comfortable with a dedicated unit than running HS on a vm and I appreciate the independence as well since I'll be screwing around with the server box a bit early on.

I will also need a z-wave interface but I don't think the SmartStick is a good option for me. Our security and automation rack will be in a basement mech closet so I'm thinking an interface located on the main floor and on the same LAN as hte SEL. I'd love to go with the less expensive smart stick but I'm not sure how to get solid z-wave between the floors. Feedback or tips are welcome here.

Last year it was in July, if I recall correctly. But you really cannot expect a company to release such information, even if they do plan on having that sale, as it would negatively impact their current sales.

Comment

Oh, definitely not asking for anything official of course. But I've been on here for a few years now soaking in the knowledge and waiting for my time to come, so I have seen the patterns. I mostly paid attention to the winter sales though and couldn't remember if last year the summer sale fell in May or July.

Comment

Understand. I think I was wrong about July, it looks like I downloaded the install file on May 19, 2018. I think I sat on it for several months before I could get around to installing it, so that is why I probably and mistakenly though July.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
          Understand. I think I was wrong about July, it looks like I downloaded the install file on May 19, 2018. I think I sat on it for several months before I could get around to installing it, so that is why I probably and mistakenly though July.
          I bought my license on 5/4/18 when vera sent out that crappy firmware. It was the 1/2 sale.In my eyes it was perfect timing.

edit correction: 5/4 was the day i was fed up. same week of the sale

Comment

Last year (2018) HST held a "Black May" sale, 6 moths off-set from the "Black Friday/November" sale. Both of these sales lasted a full month, with different items being on sale each week for four weeks. For the last two sales, software/licenses have gone on sale in the first week at 50% off. I bought my HS3 license last May.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I *LOVE* what they do for the license-only cost and may still need to keep that in mind, if I don't go with the SEL itself.

We're paying for all these 'extras' ( security, HA, AV ) out of pocket so we're really trying to plan out those expenses as best we can to be ready for when they are needed. AV for example, I'm running all wires/cables and using templates for the walls and ceiling speakers. But not needing to purchase the actual components until we're about ready to move in. Security needs lots of wires run when the walls are open and a few sensors early but some other parts don't have to cash out right away.

So if we're stacking up on cash demands in May then I may have to go with the license route and install on the home server that will come near the end of the project.

SO looking forward to being able to post soon as a user vs a hopeful!

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. I *LOVE* what they do for the license-only cost and may still need to keep that in mind, if I don't go with the SEL itself.

We're paying for all these 'extras' ( security, HA, AV ) out of pocket so we're really trying to plan out those expenses as best we can to be ready for when they are needed. AV for example, I'm running all wires/cables and using templates for the walls and ceiling speakers. But not needing to purchase the actual components until we're about ready to move in. Security needs lots of wires run when the walls are open and a few sensors early but some other parts don't have to cash out right away.

So if we're stacking up on cash demands in May then I may have to go with the license route and install on the home server that will come near the end of the project.

SO looking forward to being able to post soon as a user vs a hopeful!
                By security are you referring to PIR sensors and reed switches? If so, when designing, try to keep those systems and your HA lighting/occupancy systems one and the same. No need to have two sets of PIRs in one room. A z-wave capable PIR (such as the HS-MS100+) only requires a 5V power supply and is just as capable of sending a security notification to your phone and setting off a siren/strobe light. Or I suppose triggering a dialer to a BTB security firm as well, if that's something you wanted.

Comment

My wife and I are in-step on our wants for security and whole-home audio, but not to much in the value of HA yet. We are only going in with some HS smart switches on key lights initially, but will be using HS to help tie it all together to provide a unified UI for security, heating, multiple audio sources across the zones and some simple light options. I really want the HS-PRO because UI tweaking will be as important as components.

Comment

Working...
                  X