Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid running events on device change

Hi.

I'm looking for functionality that i don't know what would be called, and i've tried searching without any hits.

But, if i don't want a device to run events, based on its status - if that status was set by another event, how would i do that?

The thing is:
    I have a garage sensor (closed/open)
    An open button - that checks if the device is open, and does nothing if it is
    A close button - that checks if the device is closed, and does nothing if it is

now, i would i like a virtuel open/close garage device - that always has the correct status, but if i tell the sensor to change the virtual device to status#open, then the garagedoor will simply open again. And vice versa, so there will be a open/close party all night.

Can i create a device that only kicks events into action if buttons are pressed, and not set by another event?
    I was quite surprised that if i set the device-string to 'open', via text field in events - the open event still fires.

So the garage sensor is not a sensor, it the open/close deice ?

Comment

Hi!

No.
      The sensor is a sensor.
      I have physical z-wave switches where open and close is 'blocked' when the garage sensor is in n' position.

If i link the sensor and the virtual device the garage will keep moving up/down forever.
      I could create some sort of loop prevention (disable events when the sensor changes) - but i figured that i would be able to set a state in homeseer, without awakening the event system.

The reason for this "cheating" is that the garage is controlled by a z-wave relay, and doesn't have a dedicated up/down function, only 'move'.

Comment

now, i would i like a virtuel open/close garage device - that always has the correct status, but if i tell the sensor to change the virtual device to status#open, then the garagedoor will simply open again. And vice versa, so there will be a open/close party all night.
        Need a better understanding of your current events and what you want?

You have a z-wave relay the triggers the motor, two physical buttons up/down, and a sensor?

You then have events based on a button push and sensor position that trigger the relay?

Setting up another event to control a virtual switch based on off of a sensor change should not trigger the switch.

Most garage doors operate with a single momentary switch that toggles the direction of the motor.
        HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
        Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
        Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

I do have events that disable another event by using a virtual switch. I have motion events that I've added an "And If" condition, So the event will only execute if the trigger happens and a virtual switch is on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	event.png
Views:	266
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1285092
          HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
          Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML

Comment

You absolutely nailed how the setup works. And you are right... It doesn't make sense.

I must have configured something wrong - maybe i checked the sensor backwards, since it keps going up and down.

Maybe the tilt sensor isn't all that binary, i actually never checked if it sent multiple commands (open/closed) when it was tipping over.

Comment

Now i see the error if my ways....

I just made an event like this:

If GarageVirtuel (On) then run 'Open garage' event.

I Guess the And If's arent evaluated when running the flow like this, i figured that only the "IF" wasn't.
              I put an 'And If' into the first event also - this should fix the problem.

I was fiddling with it from my phone while in the garage, i must have missed something obvios - sorry for taking your time

Comment

If you are triggering the event directly from the event page with the blue button then conditions are ignored and it runs the event.

If you are calling one event from another it will ignore the 2nd event's conditions unless you also checkmark "Run only if conditions are true"

Name:	event2.png
Views:	280
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1285108

Comment

And not quite, i'm back to where i started.
                  If i try to set the status to "Opened" or "Closed" via the Device-string feature, it goes bad.
                  If i just use the Open/Close buttons in the event, it works.

Opened/Closed (which doesn't exist as buttons og status') must represent the Open button, i guess.

I'll just stick with Open/Close - although it looks odd on the mobile phone to have the garage doors status, set to 'close'

Comment

If you are just trying to change what is displayed without changing how any devices are set and without triggering an event. Then use another Virtual switch and have your current events or a separate one set the state of the new virtual switch. Use that new Switch to display the status on your phone.

Screenshots of your events would help me understand a bit better.

Comment

If it is only the text that is shown in the Status of device that you want to change. You can change the text the device uses. without changing how it operates. The value and the Control use are what matters. The text under Status can be anything you want

Name:	1status.png
Views:	306
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1285118

Comment

Two devices looks bad on the mobile, maybe I should try some scripting to create root/child devices.

I already changed the button text to 'open/close' which is ok. But when I change the device string to 'opened' (to show the real status) some event must fire and not evaluate (and if) as far as I can see.

Comment

This is a picture of the Virtual garage button events.
                          Attached Files

Comment

these here, is the update flow for the sensor.

The first one goes completely bonkers, the last one works.
                            The only change being, i use the String instead of the 'Button'

The mobile device looks quite stupid, having a status of "Close" displayed

Comment

Are the first two events calling themselves?

The events they call will ignore conditions set with if statements in the target event because you have not turned on the "run only if other events conditions are true"

Comment

Working...
                              X