• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jon00
    replied
    Originally posted by Inphosys View Post
    What I know so far ...
    I've seen Jon00's Bluetooth Proximity Detector, but I'm still going through that information and it seems as though an app on my phone would be required.
    Link to thread post: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-3
    Just FYI, no app is required. It uses the pairing functionality built into all phones.

Leave a comment:

• Inphosys
    started a topic Newbie: RFID, Bluetooth, BLE / NFC

Newbie: RFID, Bluetooth, BLE / NFC

Hello HomeSeer Folks -

Very new to HomeSeer and still having my mind blown on a daily basis what it can do! Here's a little about what I'm trying to accomplish and the information I have found so far. Any instruction, guidance, or just direction to the correct sub-forum would be greatly appreciated!

Situation: I live in a high-rise condo building and I would like HomeSeer to know when I get off of my elevator and then send the Z-Wave command to my August Smart Lock (without connect, Z-Wave only) to unlock the deadbolt to my front door, and turn on my Z-Wave entry lights. Maybe more if I get tricky with it later on down the road, but the main objective is having HomeSeer know that I got off the elevator, everything after that is easy.

Hopes: I'd like to have HomeSeer detect either the BLE radio inside my phone (without an app on the phone, I leave BLE on 24/7 because I use NFC payment) or via one of those Bluetooth keytags that you can put on things to find them when they get lost, just put one of those tags on my keychain with my car keys.

Here's a "sketch" of my building floor plan ...

This building is really weird in the fact that the floors (and ceilings) are 8 inch thick, steel reinforced, poured concrete. Also, between my unit and the hallway is a 1 inch thick, steel reinforced concrete wall (represented in green lines), followed by a 2 inch air gap, and then 5/8 inch drywall (represented in thin blue lines).

I have a hammer drill, so I can make a hole to get a bluetooth, BLE/NFC, or RFID transceiver outside my concrete wall and into the air gap that is between the hallway and the drywall.

The goal would be ...
    1. Detect me getting off the elevator so that I could write logic for HomeSeer to perform tasks for me.
    2. Stop working once I'm in my unit.
    3. Not work for about 3 minutes after I depart.

#2 and #3 could be easily controlled with the tablet that's by my front door with a button for "yes, I'm home" or "departing now" which could enable/disable the transceiver's scanning. I could also control #2 with copper mesh / metal insulation on the inside of my unit so that radio frequency wouldn't penetrate inside my house, only out into the hallway.

What I know so far ...
    I've seen Jon00's Bluetooth Proximity Detector, but I'm still going through that information and it seems as though an app on my phone would be required.
    Link to thread post: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...for-homeseer-3

I've also found this, a long range bluetooth transceiver and the manufacturer actually sells a directional antenna. So I could point the antenna in the direction of the hallway, turn the signal strength down a bit, and hopefully that will do the trick.
    Link to AIRcable Host XR5 ... https://aircable.co/shop/product/acc...-19?category=4

This post has gone on long enough and you're probably tired of reading by now. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR ... Live in a high-rise building, weird thick walls, want to accomplish 3 goals ...
    1. Detect me getting off the elevator so that I could write logic for HomeSeer to perform tasks for me.
    2. Stop working once I'm in my unit.
    3. Not work for about 3 minutes after I depart.

Many thanks!
    Brad
Working...
X