Return Routes and Static vs Dynamic ZWave routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return Routes and Static vs Dynamic ZWave routing

My understanding is that ZWave is a mesh-type network. Typically, a mesh-type network allows data to be routed through any peers to reach the destination, up to a hop limit (where the hop limit is 4 in ZWave.)

But I also see that there is a "Return Route" in HomeSeer, and this is "optimized" using the "Full Optimization" feature. This sounds like a static route.

My concern is what happens is one of the devices in this "Return Route" should fail. eg if the Return Route is A ➔ B ➔ C ➔ 1 (Controller) then if Device B or Device C shoudl fail, would that leave Device A incapacitated?

I want to clarify that in this scenario there are many Devices, and so the path from A to 1 (Controller) could be achieved in many different ways, such as A ➔ D ➔ E ➔ 1 or A ➔ F ➔ G ➔ 1, etc. That is, the Return Route isn't the only possible one; it is simply the one that was selected when a Full Optimization was done.

In a true mesh network the Failure of B or C wouldn't be a problem, because the system would heal itself and automatically find an alternate routing.

But from what I understand, in ZWave the failure of B or C could isolate any devices that have a "Return Route" through them. And, that the ZWave protocol won't heal itself or automatically find alternate routes such as "A ➔ D ➔ E ➔ 1".

So the question really is how static this "Return Route" is and what happens when one of the devices in this Return Route fails, when there are many good neighbors available.

This sounds serious, and possibly like it could create a complex maintenance scenario because of Device B or C should fail it would be necessary to do a Full Optimization, which is time consuming and a step that is easily forgotten.

Am I understanding this correctly, or are things not quite this bad?
Working...
X