Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection issue between Homeseer and WIFI router

Hello,

I am a novice in Homeseer and not a tech guy at all so sorry about my ignorance and my questions. I tried multiple search on the forum but I couldnt find anything to help me.
    I am the new owner of the house which is equipped with a Home Troller SEL pro device with a Z wave stick and is connected to a monitor / keyboard and via cable to my AT&T router. The previous home owner told me to transfer the licence which I did and unfortunately I am not able to run the system.
    When I go on find.homeseer.com I dont find any device. If I type the IP address in my browser, I have access to the web interface but when I tried to change the licence number in the general menu or when I look for software updates (current version is: HS3 Pro (SEL) Edition 3.0.0.297), it says connection failure, no route to host.
    I contacted Homeseer support who told me it could be a firewall issue. I tried to switch off all the firewalls on the router and anti-virus but it didnt change anything. I appointed a Home Automation company to figure out everything and they just took my money to tell me that it may come from my router....
    AT&T came today to tell me that I dont have a static IP address and that could explained the problem. Before paying them for an extra service with no guaranty, I was wondering if somebody could help me to figure out what's going on?
    Thanks,
    Julien

So browsing to find.homeseer.com doesn't find your unit?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No it doesn’t, it is like it doesn’t communicate at all with my router.

Comment

Though I'm not sure what your issue is about, I can say that you do not need a static IP address - a dynamic IP address will work just fine.

As for a firewall on your router (if that's what you were referring to), it should be turned on. That should not affect your connection, and you want the firewall features turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jul911 View Post
          Hello,

I am a novice in Homeseer and not a tech guy at all so sorry about my ignorance and my questions. I tried multiple search on the forum but I couldnt find anything to help me.
          I am the new owner of the house which is equipped with a Home Troller SEL pro device with a Z wave stick and is connected to a monitor / keyboard and via cable to my AT&T router. The previous home owner told me to transfer the licence which I did and unfortunately I am not able to run the system.
          When I go on find.homeseer.com I dont find any device. If I type the IP address in my browser, I have access to the web interface but when I tried to change the licence number in the general menu or when I look for software updates (current version is: HS3 Pro (SEL) Edition 3.0.0.297), it says connection failure, no route to host.
          I contacted Homeseer support who told me it could be a firewall issue. I tried to switch off all the firewalls on the router and anti-virus but it didnt change anything. I appointed a Home Automation company to figure out everything and they just took my money to tell me that it may come from my router....
          AT&T came today to tell me that I dont have a static IP address and that could explained the problem. Before paying them for an extra service with no guaranty, I was wondering if somebody could help me to figure out what's going on?
          Thanks,
          Julien
          Looks like the previous owner left it with a static IP address and now you have connected it to another router! If you see the web browser then you click the question mark on the top right corner of the web page to see the details about the device.

Else : As a new user and equipped with new licence details you need this document : https://www.intin.no/wp-content/uplo...artedguide.pdf

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thank you, I had that document but because I don’t find the device in find.homeseer.com, I can not really progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jul911 View Post
              Thank you, I had that document but because I don’t find the device in find.homeseer.com, I can not really progress
              You may need to do a factory reset!

Edit : Do not turn the firewall of your router off!

Eman.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Since its connected to a monitor/keyboard, are you able to login to the Linux console? Try username homeseer and password hsthsths3 if the previous owner didn't provide any credentials.

Comment

Yes I have all the credentials to connect to it via the monitor and keyboard

Comment

Great, then you can login there and check out how the networking is configured.

To start, enter the following commands and post a screenshot of the results.

Linux is case sensitive so be careful with that.

Code:
                    route
                    more /etc/resolv.conf
                    more /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

Here is what I got
                      homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth0

homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ more /etc/resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

nameserver 127.0.1.1

search attlocal.net

homeseer@hometrollerSEL:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

Comment

I assume your router's IP is 192.168.1.1. If that's the case, your routing table looks good. However the nameserver being the loopback address (127.0.0.1) will prevent you from reaching anything outside your LAN. (Nameserver is what is used to look up an IP address for homeseer.com, etc.).

I was kind of expecting to see more in the /etc/network/interfaces file though.

To get the correct nameserver entry, we can try hand editing the resolver file. I know it says not to, but it's an experiment... we won't break anything.

First, we'll baseline what happens when we try to reach homeseer.com
                        Code:
                        ping homeseer.com
                        I expect this to return an error.

Next, backup the original resolver file:
                        Code:
                        sudo cp -p /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak
                        Then open it for editing

Code:
                        sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
                        Change 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

Exit by typing Ctrl-X, then Y.

I'm not sure if changes to this file are picked up right away, so try the 'ping' command again to see if anything changes. If not, reboot. After reboot, check the resolver file to see if our changes stuck - if not we'll have to dig a bit deeper. If the changes stick, try the ping command again and if successful, check find.homeseer.com again.

Comment

When I type the first sudo command, it requires a password for homeseer that I don’t have. Thank you

Comment

I forgot to say that when I did ping homeseer.com, it says not reachable

Comment

Its the same password that you use to login to get to the Linux command line.

Comment

Working...
                              X