Do Zwave Association Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Zwave Association Work?

I have a lighting area where I am trying to avoid latency in turning on a light. Rather than have a controller switch activate an event that turns on a remote light, I am trying to use/assign zwave associations as shown root of the controller device. It does not work. Both switches (controller & remote) are HS-WD100. Has anyone used this successfully?

I use z-wave associations with a number of devices (water sensors with water valve, remote with blinds, etc.) and they work fine. I don't have any HS switches, so can't check those, specifically, but I'd be surprised that they would not work. Which association group are you adding the switch that you want to control to? Does the association get set? Does the HS log show anything unusual when you add the association?
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Have you tried to link the devices? I use this and it is instantaneous.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

sparkman, yes the association does get set, see below. I tried it on Levitton switches as well with no success. Group 1 is being used, I don't see an option to create another group.

langenet, linking the devices does work, is there a way to link more than one device?

Comment

I haven't done it but if I remember correctly, you can link devices in a chain. dev#1->dev#2->dev#3 etc.

See this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jajAZiG62aY
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by basshook View Post
            sparkman, yes the association does get set, see below. I tried it on Levitton switches as well with no success. Group 1 is being used, I don't see an option to create another group.

langenet, linking the devices does work, is there a way to link more than one device?
            If there's no Group 2 in the drop down, then there is no way to create more. I'll check on my Leviton switches as well.

For the linking, you'd have to cascade the linking (Device 1 - Device 2 - Device 3), but linking still requires HS to execute that, so really no different than events to do so.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

thanks folks

Comment

You can do it with the WD200 dimmers, but not with the WD100 dimmers.

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
                  You can do it with the WD200 dimmers, but not with the WD100 dimmers.
                  got ya, good to know

Comment

But as a warning, associations are a bit problematic (at least with the WD200 - I don't know about other brands). If you have two WD200 devices, A, and B, and A is associated to B such that a change of A causes B to change, then when you operate A, HomeSeer will see that A has changed and HomeSeer will be updated (as is normal). The association will then cause B to change. But this change doesn't flow through HomeSeer so HomeSeer won't see the change and the HomeSeer web interface will be out of sync until the next time the device is polled. I've had some correspondence with HomeSeer on this and have suggested a firmware update whereby the controlled switch, B, will always report a status change back to HomeSeer. I don't know if HomeSeer is implementing this proposed change.

A way around this, while still giving you "instant" control of "B" by "A" using associations is to also have an event that triggers when "A"'s "Central Scene" is set. Any time the central scene of A gets set, you can have the event then poll B to see its changed value (perhaps waiting a few seconds before the poll to make sure B has completed is dimming operation). Its a kludge, but it works reasonably well.

Comment

Working...
                    X