The four stages of Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The four stages of Home Automation

I'm getting questions of what technology is appropriate to deploy in modern homes so here are my 2 cents on the subject. Historically Home Automation has gone through 4 major stages (I'll skip the hand clapping stage. Older Americans know what I'm talking about :-)

1. X10 the technology of sending control signals over the power wires - it will bring sweet memories to HS3 founders as it all started with X10 for them. Insteon is a well known brand that implemented same technology. Today the power lines are too noisy from many modern devices that introduce noise and while this technology may still be working in some legacy situations it's certainly not recommended for new implementations.

2. Serial a.k.a. com ports, RS232, RS485 - It was the king in the mid to late 1900s. Many homes are still equipped with equipment that supports serial such as pool controllers, AV equipment, Security Systems, Whole House music systems, Light systems (Radio RA by Lutron). It is solid technology, it does work and you don't change homes as often as you do iPhones so "if ain't broken don't fix it". While com ports disappeared from the back of our computers there are cheap USB to serial adapters that do the job. If your computer is far from your serial device than there are "Serial over IP" devices that do the trick.

3. Z-wave, Zigbee, BT, NFC, RF sensors and others. These are intermediary technologies that popped up in late 1900s. WiFi was making inroads but was considered too complex and expensive for simple things hence the above technologies took place. Special dedicated bridges or hubs were created In order to bridge the gap between these and the WiFi that was used by the computers. Communication between the hubs and the controlling computer happened over TCP, MQTT, HTTP protocols. Same wisdom as for the serial applies to these devices today. If you have it and it works than there is no need to replace it. Some like NFC and RF sensors have unique niche that will not be replaced soon.

4. API world rules today. As WiFi got smaller, cheaper and affordable most of today's modern devices fired the middleman (see bridges/hubs above) and went directly to WiFi or Ethernet for a direct IP communication with the controlling computer. Most of the modern devices communicate directly with computers using API. JSON API is the most popular. If you are looking for new equipment and implementations this is the way to go. Unfortunately this rose has thorns. Many vendors hide their APIs and try to lock you in their "ecosystem" by just showing iPhone apps for control. Such "locked" systems are harder to integrate into HS3 but not impossible many are being hacked and APIs published.

Big5 plug-in for HS3 handles 2. 3. and 4. above with ease.

Comment

Interesting!
      Now here is a link to serve as a slap up dessert to your conversation : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L68...BHWYF0w_aBrNW6

Eman.
      The Closer.

Comment

Huh? All I see is a sub 1000 sq ft modular, house of sticks crawlspace design, with no second floor or basement, connected via wifi to the cloud. Um, no thanks to all of the above. And Eman, reading your posts makes me think you're half bot since the relevancy of your replies is usually... how do I say this, nicely... umm... way out there. What does this video have to do with the OP's PI?

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
          Huh? All I see is a sub 1000 sq ft modular, house of sticks crawlspace design, with no second floor or basement, connected via wifi to the cloud. Um, no thanks to all of the above. And Eman, reading your posts makes me think you're half bot since the relevancy of your replies is usually... how do I say this, nicely... umm... way out there. What does this video have to do with the OP's PI?
          No, no please am no bot. I just love tech. Usually I just turn up to spice up one's post when it catches my eye. First I wanted to write about 6loWPAN but thought may be not! I have not used it yet but none the less seems interesting but there you go! And indeed there is more than one video with that link, some showing the history of home automation (the house of the future).

Years ago the forums used to be so lively with cool guys like Pete Who went out of his way to help you understand and indeed I learnt a lot and always help where I can.

Now below is some of my work. And that proves am not a bot :

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190119_152034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	1290718

Eman.

​​​​​​​
          The Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

Now below is some of my work. And that proves am not a bot :

​​​​​​​Looks like a bot self portrait to me

Comment

Originally posted by dmiller View Post

Looks like a bot self portrait to me
              Don't you have nothing good to say? Then say nothing at all! Am an old man who does not participate in kids talk and to be sure you are the first to get on my nerve all these years I have done this. I guess you will be booted off the forums very soon.
              Must I also remind you that everyone's wife is the best in their eyes. You don't like my work, bite me! I do it for fun. You get to know me better you run a mile and never look back. And if you are a start up? This is a men's club. These things cost 💰.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrHzl4GAjU

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Eman.
              The Closer.

Comment

Ugh, Eman, Eman, not another random YouTube video attached to the end of another diatribe of yours, again, about nothing. My money is on you being a ESL (English-as-Second Language) bot.

Comment

Eman has been on the forum for about 10 years now, so after all theses years doing HA for fun he may have transition into a bit integrated himself into the interweb. Lol 😂

It cost you nothing to be nice to people but can cost you a lot if you are not.

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                    Eman has been on the forum for about 10 years now, so after all theses years doing HA for fun he may have transition into a bit integrated himself into the interweb. Lol 😂

It cost you nothing to be nice to people but can cost you a lot if you are not.

Look into the mirror and speak for yourself.

Some people mistakenly think we are HomeSeer employees because we answer questions.
                    No, it's the joy of learning, challenge and being able to save a dude a buck not make same mistakes you have made along the way (Fun)
                    Read my posts and you will be the judge of that.

Am not a coder but love connected tech., woodworking ,..........etc

I do fine work because I have all the tools in world. What I don't understand is your problem with it.

Now you know a little bit about me, can we go back on that "Z-wave" device you were on about (l mean HomeSeer)

Eman.
                    The Closer.

Comment

Look into the mirror and speak for yourself.

I do fine work because I have all the tools in world. What I don't understand is your problem with it.

Eman.
                      Eman, I don’t. I know you have been around for along time, as I have to and made light of the comments that you were a bot. I think you need to ignore negative and continue doing what you do.

Comment

Ugh, Eman, Eman, not another random YouTube video attached to the end of another diatribe of yours, again, about nothing. My money is on you being a ESL (English-as-Second Language) bot.
                        This one is a bit of racist but remember to love being human! What man has done, man can do! You can not feel any better than a man standing next to you else live and let live 😁 Life is a one way street!
                        Does that make you feel any better because you are different?

Eman.

​​​​​​
                        The Closer.

Comment

::
                          Attached Files

Comment

This one is a bit of racist but remember to love being human! What man has done, man can do! You can not feel any better than a man standing next to you else live and let live 😁 Life is a one way street!
                            Does that make you feel any better because you are different?
                            Eman.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Racist, how? We're all calling you a bot, so perhaps I'm robophobic. And you disappoint me with your reply - there was no usual off-the-wall video link. You're slipping, Eman. Are you shedding your metallic parts and becoming self-aware and more human? Give it another 10 years and you'll be integrated into the world of HA discourse.

Comment

Racist, how? We're all calling you a bot, so perhaps I'm robophobic. And you disappoint me with your reply - there was no usual off-the-wall video link. You're slipping, Eman. Are you shedding your metallic parts and becoming self-aware and more human? Give it another 10 years and you'll be integrated into the world of HA discourse.
                              If you are old enough then you can understand my cryptic remarks. Brink and you have missed it!
                              Am sorry am not a blogger that's why I sometimes I throw in a video. If you drink it's hard to understand the meaning of what's being addressed to you

So your insistence on addressing me as a (script,computer program) bot just highlights that. If that's what you think I am then am smart if am a fool then remember to never argue with a fool, people may not notice the difference

Eman.
                              The Closer.

Comment

Working...
                              X