Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dweber85rc
    replied
    While there are many ways to accomplish what you wanted it's pretty creative to me. Plus if a single switch craps out the whole panel doesn't have to be replaced

Leave a comment:

• ahuefner
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all the comments. I did look at a lot of options before choosing this approach. I have a electrical engineering background and looked at flat panels, designing my own display electronics, etc. In the end after considering everything involved, I opted for this approach. I do find this approach gets your attention much more then a flat panel display. I have the cell phone app as well, so this just makes it easier. It was pricey as pointed out, but when I priced out alternatives, this approach was not that much more and it came not only with the programming support already done, that program support is part of HSs standard product going forward. Having used the panel for several months, I am very pleased with my implementation. I found that while making changes to the LED labels requires creating a new faceplate, it is not hard to do. Since the LEDs are identified by module ID/LED #, I assigned the WD200 modules node names of TC1-4,and BC1-3 for Top Row Column 1-4, and Bottom Row Column 1-3. The individual LEDs are identified by #1 to #7 starting at the bottom of the column. The entire panel uses 7 node addresses in my network. You use the ZWave Actions selection in the event selection menu to program the lights in status mode. The dimmer switch function in the WD200s is not used since the rocker and plastic bezel were removed to better access the LEDs. The ZWave antennas on each unit were taped down to a foam insulator to approximate the gap that the plastic bezel offered as a insulator and separator from the metal frame of the WD200. Their reception is excellent and show up as neighbors for a large number of the other 43 devices in my network.

Leave a comment:

• kideon
    replied
    Everyone is focused on the price but note that it’s essentially 0 confíg. Been waiting to see a z wave arruino board in the wild that works well for just that reason

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    I like this Display Panel. It is bit high on cost but if you have every thing green and as you walk by and see it out the corner of your eye and all is green then you are good to go but if one or more are red it's a easy catch to get your attention. No stopping and waking up the tablet to see whats going on unless there is way to make a tablet display stay on all the time.

Very cool idea. If you get tired of it feel free to send it to me

Jim

Leave a comment:

• The Profit
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

I find a notification screen to be much more effective than a touch panel. One is aware of status with a passing glace due to color scheme and the intensity of the LED rather than some pixels on a touch screen. In my case I used 16 LED (Neopixels) and at this time have assigned only 10 into use. Behind-the-scenes logic consolidates many individual statuses into a single LED. All I want to know If I have a water leak somewhere (LED turns red). This tells me I will look into HS to find out which water sensor is squawking.

Half of my screen is for alarm-oriented notification and half is for task-oriented such as for taking mouse out of trap following its capture. It was about $20 with use of out-of-service digital picture frame where the LCD was replaced with the Neopixels. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...n-notification

There is a place for touchscreens for user control, but it is a significant compromise for visual awareness of something that needs attention.
    I understand, there are a lot of options out there and everyone has their preference. I guess what hit me the hardest was the cost of the solution compared to other options.

On the touch screen we have, it does pop up a warning screen in the case of a water leak but then it sends a Pushover to everyone to let them know where the actual leak is. If we are home, then we will hear an announcement over Sonos where the leak is as well. My wife wouldn’t know how to look through HS Web UI to figure out where a leak is and time is of the essence in some cases.

For our family, a touch screen UI is the easiest and most useful to use.....although Alexa has pushed her way to the top of my wife’s list so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Eman
    replied
    Cool as it is if not placed in the hall way and thus not bump your shoulder into it! But works well in a comms room where it's of more use to the "admin"

Click image for larger version

Name:	istockphoto-639104968-640x640.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1292373

Eman.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    There is a place for touchscreens for user control, but it is a significant compromise for visual awareness of something that needs attention.
    You have a good point about visibility when you need to gain attention. To each their own, but I think you can also accomplish this with the tablet, by using the "hide/show element" to show something, or perhaps just switching the tablet screen to an error screen. And the error screen could have an obnoxious background. And the tablet could also be making noise. And in your case, that error screen could tell you exactly which water sensor is squawking too.

But your solution is cheaper than using Touch or the OP's solution.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by The Profit View Post

I didn't get the impression that he was able to control anything with the switches he put in the frame, it just shows the status of things around the house. I'm wondering if he has a 1940's theme around the house and this is what fits in with the rest of the theme?
    You are probably right. I was thinking if he ever wanted to add control capability to those switches. And the display does look cool.

I do have a couple of WD200 switches that I use as a status display, such as in the Garage where I really do not want to mount a tablet anyway. I programmed the multiple switch presses, but found I rarely use them as I cannot remember how many presses it takes to accomplish what I want. Much easier to just wander over to a tablet. Or yell at Alexa.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Creative...but for the cost of seven HS dimmers ($350) you could have purchased a nice tablet ($150), HSTouch software($99) and a nice bottle of wine ($99). Create an HSTouch screen that you could not only see the status of those devices but also control them and romance your wife/girlfriend with the touch of a button....
    I find a notification screen to be much more effective than a touch panel. One is aware of status with a passing glace due to color scheme and the intensity of the LED rather than some pixels on a touch screen. In my case I used 16 LED (Neopixels) and at this time have assigned only 10 into use. Behind-the-scenes logic consolidates many individual statuses into a single LED. All I want to know If I have a water leak somewhere (LED turns red). This tells me I will look into HS to find out which water sensor is squawking.

Half of my screen is for alarm-oriented notification and half is for task-oriented such as for taking mouse out of trap following its capture. It was about $20 with use of out-of-service digital picture frame where the LCD was replaced with the Neopixels. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...n-notification

Leave a comment:

• The Profit
    replied
    Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
    +1 on hs touch. And if you want to control anything with those switches, you have to remember "was that three presses on of the third switch to turn on the garage light, or was that four presses on the seventh switch?". With hs touch, you can use labels!
    I didn't get the impression that he was able to control anything with the switches he put in the frame, it just shows the status of things around the house. I'm wondering if he has a 1940's theme around the house and this is what fits in with the rest of the theme?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    +1 on hs touch. And if you want to control anything with those switches, you have to remember "was that three presses on of the third switch to turn on the garage light, or was that four presses on the seventh switch?". With hs touch, you can use labels!

Leave a comment:

• The Profit
    replied
    Creative...but for the cost of seven HS dimmers ($350) you could have purchased a nice tablet ($150), HSTouch software($99) and a nice bottle of wine ($99). Create an HSTouch screen that you could not only see the status of those devices but also control them and romance your wife/girlfriend with the touch of a button....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Smartdave
    replied
    I built basically the same thing, although not at pretty as yours, using LEDs and an Arduino controlled by Homeseer. It's nice as one Arduino Mega board gives me about 25 status lights. And the best part is the arduinos are cheap $$

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    That is clever. Expensive, but clever. Looks great too. Very nice craftsmanship.

Leave a comment:

• Smartdave
    replied
    That's Awesome Nice Job!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X