Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadbolt Locks - Kwikset Obsidian vs Schlage Connect Z-Wave Plus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadbolt Locks - Kwikset Obsidian vs Schlage Connect Z-Wave Plus??

HS3Pro on Win10 w/ Z-NET here. Looking at doorlocks. Seems Schlage Connect is well supported (at least with their previous Z-Wave model), and their new Z-Wave Plus models are starting to roll out now. Also looking at the Kwikset Obsidian, also Z-Wave Plus. Did searching but not finding any posts about Kwikset Obsidian & Homeseer. Anyone have any experience with Obsidian and Homeseer?

They're both about the same price $200-ish. I kinda like the look of the Kwikset Obsidian without the key, if I can wrap my head around not having a key as a backup. Schlage is Grade-1 while Kwikset is Grade-2, so that's a plus for Schlage on strength/durability. The Schlage Connect Z-Wave Plus is brand new, so slightly risky it may have issues.

Originally posted by klafollette View Post
    HS3Pro on Win10 w/ Z-NET here. Looking at doorlocks. Seems Schlage Connect is well supported (at least with their previous Z-Wave model), and their new Z-Wave Plus models are starting to roll out now. Also looking at the Kwikset Obsidian, also Z-Wave Plus. Did searching but not finding any posts about Kwikset Obsidian & Homeseer. Anyone have any experience with Obsidian and Homeseer?

They're both about the same price $200-ish. I kinda like the look of the Kwikset Obsidian without the key, if I can wrap my head around not having a key as a backup. Schlage is Grade-1 while Kwikset is Grade-2, so that's a plus for Schlage on strength/durability. The Schlage Connect Z-Wave Plus is brand new, so slightly risky it may have issues.
    FWIW I've had the Schlage z-wave plus deadbolt (m/n BE469ZP) installed for a couple weeks. Build quality seems very good. Had to bring it next to my z-net to get it to include properly and create all child devices, but once included all is functioning properly. (Had hoped the need to have it next to the controller would go away with the z-wave plus model, but alas...). BLLock doesn't support it yet but I've sent the lock data to Blade at his request and hopefully will be implemented soon.
    -Wade

Comment

Thanks on feedback on Schlage BE469ZP. That's what I'm considering. Where'd you get yours? Home Depot looks to be occasionally stocking. Not seeing on Amazon yet. Wanting the Century trim in Satin Nickel.

Comment

Thanks on feedback on Schlage BE469ZP. That's what I'm considering. Where'd you get yours? Home Depot looks to be occasionally stocking. Not seeing on Amazon yet. Wanting the Century trim in Satin Nickel.
        Ended up ordering from build.com. Think it was about $10 more than HD but was able to order custom keyed with key code to match my other locks. Look closely at the model numbers at HD. Here's an explanation of my experience: link
        -Wade

Comment

Update on a minor oddity with my Schlage lock. It appears the Access Control Notification device is not updated when the lock is locked or unlocked by HS--either by event or manually using the device control buttons. Don't know whether it's a known "feature" or something off with my configuration, but I would have expected it to indicate manual or system control.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
            Update on a minor oddity with my Schlage lock. It appears the Access Control Notification device is not updated when the lock is locked or unlocked by HS--either by event or manually using the device control buttons. Don't know whether it's a known "feature" or something off with my configuration, but I would have expected it to indicate manual or system control.
            FWIW I've had a few people that use my lock events script tell me that they have issues with inconsistent Schlage notifications. I have not seen reports of similar issues with Kwikset/Wiser, Yale or others. I use Kwikset/Wiser myself. Yes, I know they are not quite as secure, but they are only there to keep the honest people out.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

FWIW I've had a few people that use my lock events script tell me that they have issues with inconsistent Schlage notifications. I have not seen reports of similar issues with Kwikset/Wiser, Yale or others. I use Kwikset/Wiser myself. Yes, I know they are not quite as secure, but they are only there to keep the honest people out.
              Interesting. Thanks.
              -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

FWIW I've had the Schlage z-wave plus deadbolt (m/n BE469ZP) installed for a couple weeks. Build quality seems very good. Had to bring it next to my z-net to get it to include properly and create all child devices, but once included all is functioning properly. (Had hoped the need to have it next to the controller would go away with the z-wave plus model, but alas...). BLLock doesn't support it yet but I've sent the lock data to Blade at his request and hopefully will be implemented soon.
                Blade has added support for the BE469ZP in the BLLock 3.0.25.0 beta.
                -Wade

Comment

What's the use-case for Access Control Notification? I'm hoping that Locked/Unlocked status are 100% reliable, or that'd be bad. What do you use the Access Control Notification for? Seeing some posts from 2015 saying at least with older version can be resolved by removing/re-adding, inches away from ZWave transceiver, then doing multiple optimizations. Was hoping ZWave+ would improve that but maybe not.

And Sparkman, what is your 'lock events script' you mentioned?

Comment

What's the use-case for Access Control Notification? I'm hoping that Locked/Unlocked status are 100% reliable, or that'd be bad. What do you use the Access Control Notification for? Seeing some posts from 2015 saying at least with older version can be resolved by removing/re-adding, inches away from ZWave transceiver, then doing multiple optimizations. Was hoping ZWave+ would improve that but maybe not.

The notification device tells you which code was used to unlock the door, faults with the lock, etc.

Here's the script: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...-events-script
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

And to add specifics to sparkman's reply, I use it for different automations depending on who opens or locks the door. E.g., pet sitter disarms the alarm but leaves the house in away mode and rearms the alarm on exit, house guest triggers essentially the same automations as if my wife or I arrived home or departed, house keeper disarms the alarm, sets house to clean mode and back to home or away as appropriate on departure, etc.
                      -Wade

Comment

Working...
                      X