Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

110V LED under cabinet lighting

Guys,
    We just had new cabinets installed and I need some 110V LED's. The sections of the cabinet are wired in 5 places with 110V connected to a single switch. Are there any LED strips that connect directly to 110V as a couple of the cabinets have very little room under them for anything other than a 10" strip of LED wiring and the 110V wiring. Any suggestions?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Guys,
    We just had new cabinets installed and I need some 110V LED's. The sections of the cabinet are wired in 5 places with 110V connected to a single switch. Are there any LED strips that connect directly to 110V as a couple of the cabinets have very little room under them for anything other than a 10" strip of LED wiring and the 110V wiring. Any suggestions?
    Will that do? : https://www.amazon.com/MODOAO-Waterp...ustomerReviews

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      Close but it says you can cut it less than a meter. In a couple of places I need 8-10"

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Close but it says you can cut it less than a meter. In a couple of places I need 8-10"
        Quite a few here : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=10ft+110v...ref=nb_sb_noss

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Rupp
          I have these lights: https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...e-strip/1.html
          They have warm or cool white.

I know they're 12V, but with ours, I have a Z-Wave outlet that controls the power supply that's hidden in one of the cabinets.
          Been going for hours a day, every day for almost 10 years (originally controlled with X-10)
          Dan-O
          HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Here recently custom built under the count LED strips in aluminum tubes with diffusers. Tiny thing with good light.

I did document it under the MQTT stuff here.

Wanted to not have a footprint that I could see for the 120VAC to 12VDC power supply.

I went with a tiny 120VAC 2 AMP to 12VDC power supply in my switch box (metal 4X4 with a duplex mudplate on it).

It's been a few months now and it's working great.

Very thin power wire to a barrel connector under the counter is all you see.

I wanted to add dimming and automation to it such that I DIY'd customized an el cheapo MagicHome Controller and put in in a tiny box.
            I added a manual digital pot for dimming on it and there is WiFi control for the box which you can use or not.

I posted a bunch of pictures of this stuff.

It is very clean looking when you mount the LED strips in aluminum tubing with diffusers and a very small footprint and very bright.

BTW you can now purchase a combo LED dimmer and 12VDC power supply switch except that they are a tad expensive at around $150 USD.

Much cheaper to go with a UL approved mini 120VDC to 12VDC power supply.

I cannot find the post under MQTT and found the begining of the DIY here ==> under counter LED lamps

Another configuration I set up was the installation of LED strips (in tubes) over my bookshelves in my home office.

These are ceiling high and there are 3 of them (4 foot wide).

Here I used a mini dimmable 120VAC to 12VDC power supply. It is larger than the ones I used in the kitchen and smaller than the ones I have seen for under the kitchen counter.

BTW it is very easy to custom make up LED tubes with diffusers any length you want. There are kits on Amazon to do this.

The aluminum tubing and diffusers are very easy to mount with tiny clips. Tried warm and white whte LED strips and wife liked the white white bright ones way better. One set near the stove is just on and off and used only for cooking. The other set which is longer covering more cabinets dims as a night light after hours.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This is what I used. https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...8142537&ipos=3

Just had to put a outlet box inside each of the cabinet to hide it since these do require a power adapter to plug in. Takes up very little space in the bottom corner of the cabinet. I used a total of 3. Was happy with how it turned out. Wired back to a regular WD-100 that also controls lights over our kitchen sink.

Comment

I went to custom cutting test and production light strips and using solder for the joints rather than the provided clips which work much better.

If you want to dim the LEDs the dimming works best on the 12VDC side versus the 120VAC side whether analog or digital dimming.

Relating to WAF went to testing and making strips which were warm white and white white. Wife like the white white LED strips.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

An alternative suggestion (I used the 12.5" version under my cabinets and hard wired them directly to a 120 VAC source instead of using the LED strips, which to me seemed a bit arduous in mounting)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NICOR-NU...W-WH/302035187

I control these using a HomeSeer appliance (non-dimming) Z-Wave switch
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I went with these from Home Depot. I was there and they were on sale. They look good and I was able to wire them directly to my light switch. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Good news Rupp.

Yes tested hockey pock style 120VAC (non dimmable) LED lamps a few years back (under the garage kitchen cabinets) leaving them on 24/7 for a few years. Always worked and never failed.

The ones I tested used white lamp cord 120VAC interconnects / junctions. In the garage put the outlets inside of the kitchen cabinets (well occupying space) and drilled a hole on the bottom of the cabinet to pass the 120VAC wire.

Didn't you do LED lamps on your older Kitchen cabinets a few years back?
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Didn't you do LED lamps on your older Kitchen cabinets a few years back?
                        Yes, I put rope lights on top and under the kick plate and over time these all failed. I had removed all of them but the one on top of the cabinets above the fridge and forgot about it. When we tore out the old cabinets it was still up there connected to an X10 module. The rope light had turned black and yellow

Comment

Wow.

First time here considering LED lights on the top of the Kitchen cabinets. When testing the LED strips made up a few warm white strips so may use these. Wife here never uses the Microwave fan exhaust while cooking cuz she saids it too loud. That said noticed the newer generation over the stove microwaves have fans which automagically turn on when cooking which is a nice add.

Here installed one strip of LED lamps under the microwave using white white LEDs. These work way better than the two now LED over the stove LEDs. Much brighter stove top.

Made up one circuit multiple LED strips to either side of the stove and stove area for a very bright cooking area (very high on the WAF).
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X