Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging interest: CNC'ed Surround for amazon fire tablets

Hi all,

i recently acquired a Wood CNC router and one of the things i have wanted is a wood surround to wall mount my tablets, i have a few amazon fire 7in tablets.

would anyone else be interested in some of these frames? if so what features would you like them to have? cut outs for charge ports? magnets? any other models of tablet that are really popular that people would want? Logo engraving?

I'll design it and post the files and then i can make some if people are interested.

cheers
    Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Going to add a couple tablets soon. Haven't made decision which ones but if amazon I'll definitely be interested in a wood surround. Probably would go with 10" though.
    -Wade

Comment

Cool, if i do this right i can scale it for different tablet sizes.

53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

I would definitely be interest.

Comment

Would you consider doing one for an old Nexus 7 2nd gen?

Comment

Originally posted by dumpmyster View Post
            Would you consider doing one for an old Nexus 7 2nd gen?
            yeah i can do that, my dad has a bunch of those i can template

Comment

+1

Comment

What software would you be doing the design in? I have some interest, and access to a big cnc router. I'm pretty familiar with Fusion 360 for the cad side, and I usually use vcarve for the CAM side.

I had always imagined I would put a few in wall tablets (I used to have a whole PC 19" touchscreen in wall), and the housings has always been a concern. The look is important.

A new concern is that with voice control getting better and better and that everyone walks around with a smart phone in their pocket, the in/on wall screens would be less and less useful for touch interaction, and more useful for just displaying data...

Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                  What software would you be doing the design in? I have some interest, and access to a big cnc router. I'm pretty familiar with Fusion 360 for the cad side, and I usually use vcarve for the CAM side.

I had always imagined I would put a few in wall tablets (I used to have a whole PC 19" touchscreen in wall), and the housings has always been a concern. The look is important.

A new concern is that with voice control getting better and better and that everyone walks around with a smart phone in their pocket, the in/on wall screens would be less and less useful for touch interaction, and more useful for just displaying data...

If you are familiar with Fusion 360 you can do this. I use F360 for CAD and CAM with my CNC router often.

Comment

Most of my fusion work is for 3d printing stuff. I haven't learned the CAM side yet. exporting from fusion and into vcarve has proved to be pretty easy. I would like to learn that though.
                    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

real interest for iPad and 10"Amazon fire tablet. Would need a way to cover and hide power connector going into the side of tablet (coming out of the wall) I have seen right angle plugs for the Fire but not sure for the iPad.

Comment

Years ago one could use the box that the iPad came in and place it within a 8 x 10 picture frame for a clean framed look. I think that some of the sizes of the devices of recent years have changed.

I personally would love to see some sort of wall mount that resembles a 8 x 10 frame. That is the size of the hole in the wall. Don't really want to change it.

iPad or Android.
                        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback.

im using Fusion 360 for the cad and the cam. got side tracked but im going to start work on this soon!

Comment

Here are two unfinished renders, for a 7 in fire tablet with cutout for the wires. any feedback would be appreciated

Comment

This is pretty much what I do using store bought frames. I just routered out the back to make them wide enough to fit my tablets. 2 things you might want to think of: Put a hole in the front That allows the camera To see through in case you're using motion sensing to wake up the tablet. You also may want to set the tablet A little farther back within the frame to allow for whatever mounting option you've come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X