Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor
    replied
    Well it took a while and im not thrilled with the results but its a good first try.

the next revision will be better. took a while because i had to strip down and rebuilt parts of my CNC.

this one is pine, and came out pretty good, front was too thin, 1/16 is way too thin, i broke the prototype working on it.

the chamfer also didn't work well but that was user error.

comments appreciated

Leave a comment:

• dbarnes
    replied
    I created something similar using metal picture frames from Michael's. From there, mill in some slots for the USB cable, power button, and volume controls. On the outside of the frame, drill a small hole to press the power button with something like a paperclip when it's mounted in the frame. I like the Amazon Fire tablets because it's 1280 x 800 like my other table Samsung Tab 2. I only have to code one size in HSTouch for both tablets.

Milling (X-Y) vise is for drill presses and from Amazon for about $60. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W16WT0

Leave a comment:

• Raptor
    replied
    thats pretty sweet. heck if i can find those wires i can make the bezel thinner. how do you like it?

Leave a comment:

• RK15
    replied
    i just got this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6779355...SABEgLGmfD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    Looks good. Definitely interested in the 10 inch Fire version.

Leave a comment:

• Raptor
    replied
    Ok here is a thinnner version, used a right angled micro usb, added a hole for the camera and moved it as far forward as i think i can, the front is now 1/16 thick. boarder around the tablet is 20mm or 0.79in around. Probably going to use 3d printed tabs to hold the tablet in place

Leave a comment:

• Wade
    replied
    I'd suggest moving the tablet as close to the front of the frame as possible--i.e., as thin as the material will reasonably allow--as this makes for better access to edges of the touch panel. Also would prefer as narrow and thin frame profile as possible while allowing for the most compact cable type that's available--just my aesthetic preference.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    This is pretty much what I do using store bought frames. I just routered out the back to make them wide enough to fit my tablets. 2 things you might want to think of: Put a hole in the front That allows the camera To see through in case you're using motion sensing to wake up the tablet. You also may want to set the tablet A little farther back within the frame to allow for whatever mounting option you've come up with.

Leave a comment:

• Raptor
    replied
    Here are two unfinished renders, for a 7 in fire tablet with cutout for the wires. any feedback would be appreciated

Leave a comment:

• Raptor
    replied
    Appreciate the feedback.

im using Fusion 360 for the cad and the cam. got side tracked but im going to start work on this soon!

Leave a comment:

• Krumpy
    replied
    Years ago one could use the box that the iPad came in and place it within a 8 x 10 picture frame for a clean framed look. I think that some of the sizes of the devices of recent years have changed.

I personally would love to see some sort of wall mount that resembles a 8 x 10 frame. That is the size of the hole in the wall. Don't really want to change it.

iPad or Android.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    real interest for iPad and 10"Amazon fire tablet. Would need a way to cover and hide power connector going into the side of tablet (coming out of the wall) I have seen right angle plugs for the Fire but not sure for the iPad.

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    Most of my fusion work is for 3d printing stuff. I haven't learned the CAM side yet. exporting from fusion and into vcarve has proved to be pretty easy. I would like to learn that though.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
    What software would you be doing the design in? I have some interest, and access to a big cnc router. I'm pretty familiar with Fusion 360 for the cad side, and I usually use vcarve for the CAM side.

I had always imagined I would put a few in wall tablets (I used to have a whole PC 19" touchscreen in wall), and the housings has always been a concern. The look is important.

A new concern is that with voice control getting better and better and that everyone walks around with a smart phone in their pocket, the in/on wall screens would be less and less useful for touch interaction, and more useful for just displaying data...

If you are familiar with Fusion 360 you can do this. I use F360 for CAD and CAM with my CNC router often.

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    What software would you be doing the design in? I have some interest, and access to a big cnc router. I'm pretty familiar with Fusion 360 for the cad side, and I usually use vcarve for the CAM side.

I had always imagined I would put a few in wall tablets (I used to have a whole PC 19" touchscreen in wall), and the housings has always been a concern. The look is important.

A new concern is that with voice control getting better and better and that everyone walks around with a smart phone in their pocket, the in/on wall screens would be less and less useful for touch interaction, and more useful for just displaying data...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X