Gas fireplace control during power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas fireplace control during power outage

So I have a dilemma. I have two gas fireplaces that I would like to control via HS. It uses an on/off light switch, and after doing some research I'm pretty sure that it simply works by way of the switch enabling a thermocoupler or thermopile that creates enough current to open the gas line when you flip the switch. This works when there is a power failure, which has proven convenient in the past when there was a power failure during winter, and we could use the fireplaces to heat the house.

And here is my dilemma. If I swap the switch for a controllable switch, I get to control the fireplaces remotely - great for turning it off automatically if it's forgotten about or turning it on remotely when in the tub . But not so good for heating the house during a power failure.

I'm wondering if anyone has thought about any method of being able to remotely control your fireplace that doesn't become useless during a power outage?

regards,

Paul

Yeah.... "Hey honey turn on the fireplace"....

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
      Yeah.... "Hey honey turn on the fireplace"....
      lol
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

If you wire an electronic switch in parallel with the old switch, then you will still be able to turn it on/off with the old switch when power fails.
        tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
          If you wire an electronic switch in parallel with the old switch, then you will still be able to turn it on/off with the old switch when power fails.
          Hmm..... At first I was thinking that would mean I'd need to expand the gang box that the fireplace switch is in. But perhaps I can wire an inline electronic switch in parallel at the fireplace end...

Comment

The switch on the wall doesn't do anything other than close contacts on the fireplace ignition. If you look under the firebox, you will see the wire controlling it. In most cases, it's not even a 14-2 but rather a lighter gauge wire. As tenholde mentioned, wire a switch in parallel and you'll be all set. You'll only need to flip open the access at the bottom of the firebox and flip the new switch. Mine has a wireless remote connected instead of a wall switch which does the same thing.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I used this on my fireplace. Works great with HomeSeer and still provides manual control. My fireplace switch was somewhat hidden on the side so the extra bulk of this switch didn't matter otherwise it might not pass the WAF. There is also a paddle style version. My only caution is don't try testing this thing without attaching it to the actual switch. I learned the hard way and had to disassemble and reset the gears. Regards,

Comment

We have wired this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F674451-328B-44F5-95CB-DA9C225489A3.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1298576

in parallel with the wall switch. When power is out, or not, the wall switch will turn on the fireplace.

Looks like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WXLRF2U...e-4b1193112941

is a newer version.
                Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
                  We have wired this...

in parallel with the wall switch. When power is out, or not, the wall switch will turn on the fireplace.

Looks like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WXLRF2U...e-4b1193112941

is a newer version.
                  Or an Aeotech Nano switch should fit behind the toggle in the existing 1-gang box.
                  -Wade

Comment

Working...
                  X