NFC & IOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFC & IOS

Any Plug-ins that will read NFC on a iPhone?

Thanks
    Jim

The newer iPhones actively advertise their NFC tag so you could cobble something together with an ESP8266 and PN532. Someone posted in the home automation subreddit with a custom $20 board

Comment

Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
      Any Plug-ins that will read NFC on a iPhone?

Thanks
      Jim
      Use/purpose? Whats the scenario?

Comment

People use android and tasked to trigger events. It’s not currently feasible on iPhone though I expect we will see it integrated into shortcuts at some point. On the flip side you put readers in stationary locations then scan tags, phones or rings to do things like unlock doors, track occupancy etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Use/purpose? Whats the scenario?
          I wanted to put a tag on the window next to the front door and I could put my phone up to the tag to unlock the front door.

Jim

Comment

I wanted to put a tag on the window next to the front door and I could put my phone up to the tag to unlock the front door.

Jim
            If I understand this correctly you want to use the iphone as the NFC "card" and have a reader transmit the unlock signal? Others use the reverse with Tasker on Android but since that's not possible with iphone (yet) this method could work.

A Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or ESP board could be used to read the NFC iphone tag and transmit a signal to HomeSeer. A fairly simple no plugin method would be to send a HTTP command to a virtual device to toggle the virtual switch triggering the unlock event.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

If I understand this correctly you want to use the iphone as the NFC "card" and have a reader transmit the unlock signal? Others use the reverse with Tasker on Android but since that's not possible with iphone (yet) this method could work.

A Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or ESP board could be used to read the NFC iphone tag and transmit a signal to HomeSeer. A fairly simple no plugin method would be to send a HTTP command to a virtual device to toggle the virtual switch triggering the unlock event.
              I wanted my iPhone to read the tag. From my understanding the iPhone can read NFC tags.

Jim

Comment

I wanted my iPhone to read the tag. From my understanding the iPhone can read NFC tags.

Jim
                I can read them. But there's no App that can do something with them unless you write one and publish it to the store. Of course I'm new to iPhone but that is my understanding currently. I'll do a little searching. I hope I'm wrong on this.

EDIT:

https://gototags.com/iphone-app/#details

Looks like this iPhone app can read the NFC and perform actions such as open the URL in the browser. This would be all that is needed to perform the HTTP request to toggle a virtual switch or a plugin could be written to accept different URL end points to the plugin to use as "actions". The downside is you would need to

1. Order pre-configured NFC tags
                2. Purchase the hardware to encode the tags yourself.

Comment

i will just use Geofence.

Jim

Comment

GeoFency can trigger on tags, not just location. I use some USB tags mainly to trigger when I’m in one of our vehicles. I have some battery powered ones too, but haven’t found a good use for them yet. I use GeoFency in conjunction with the PHLocation2 plugin.
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                      GeoFency can trigger on tags, not just location. I use some USB tags mainly to trigger when I’m in one of our vehicles. I have some battery powered ones too, but haven’t found a good use for them yet. I use GeoFency in conjunction with the PHLocation2 plugin.
                      Now that I have an iPhone I'll have to look into Geofency.

Comment

Al. Which USB ones do you have in your cars now? I gave up on the Radius ones after the 4th one died and they didn't want to replace them again. Cheers James
                        cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post

Al. Which USB ones do you have in your cars now? I gave up on the Radius ones after the 4th one died and they didn't want to replace them again. Cheers James
                          Hi James, I use these: https://accent-systems.com/product/ibks-usb/

Cheers
                          Al
                          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hi James, I use these: https://accent-systems.com/product/ibks-usb/

Cheers
                            Al
                            Thanks Al
                            cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                            X