No announcement yet.

All plugins get disabled after I reboot a couple times on both of my systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All plugins get disabled after I reboot a couple times on both of my systems

Hi everyone just wondering if this is normal behavior as it's making me second guess if I want to use HS3 in my new home. Here's basically what happens. Right now I have a PC running Windows Server 2016 and HS3. It's not currently on a UPS as I used to have it on one but without it, my router, APs, switches etc will run for 2.5 hours in a power outage, but adding the PC to it reduces that to around 45 minutes or so, so I left it off.

In doing testing the other day as well as installing switches where I would kill the power often, I noticed that when I went to control any device on HS3 nothing would work from the mobile app. I logged into HS3 to see every single plugin was disabled and turned off which was odd. When I turned them back on it worked.

Kind of left it for a bit, but last night I installed HS3 on this mini fanless PC that I have running Windows 10 Home as connecting that to my UPS keeps the 2.5 hours of runtime in an power outage. In testing getting HS3 to launch at boot, I would kill the power a few times to have it reboot. After doing this a few times, once again I noticed all plugins were disabled.

Is that due to it not being shut down cleanly? I'll connect it to a UPS regardless of which method I use, as I'll probably use the proper PC with Windows 2016 or even put Windows 10 on it since the mini fanless one is super slow, but has me concerned over reliability. The logs don't seem to mention anything to indicate why the plugins are all disabled. If this is normal from not being shut down cleanly then I can be okay with that and will connect it to a UPS for sure but just has me nervous now that this might just randomly happen when I'm out of town, considering it did it on two separate machines and installs that are unrelated.

The plugins running were:
    - Sonos
    - Insteon
    - Z-Wave
    - RadioRA2
    - JowiHue

Yes this due to a dirty shut down. You will want to use a UPS as well as backup your files using one of the free backup solutions if you expect power outrages or want to kill the HS3 process.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

The only time I have seen this happen is when the settings.ini file is corrupted during an improper shutdown. HS will recreate the file when it starts up in that case but all plugins will be disabled. Having said that, I have not seen that happen in a long time as HS made changes as to what gets written to the file, so the chances of corruption have been minimized. The file is located in the Config folder. Make a backup of it and if it happens again, shut down HS, overwrite the settings.ini with the backup and restart. I do recommend the HS computer being on UPS though.
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks everyone, it definitely will be on a UPS moving forward (and always used to be), was most just testing it to ensure my auto start was working on it which is why there were dirty shutdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by 416to305 View Post
          Thanks everyone, it definitely will be on a UPS moving forward (and always used to be), was most just testing it to ensure my auto start was working on it which is why there were dirty shutdowns.
          Also make sure to do regular backups of the system. I do daily automated backups and manual backups just before I do major changes. Many folks here use a plugin called BLBackup. I'm still surprised about the corruption though. I've had a couple of hard crashes recently due to an OS bug (blue screen), and when the system restarted, everything was fine. I haven't had to restore from backup in a number of years.
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
          X