Fibaro implant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogerL View Post
    This thing looks really interesting and shows some potential for lots of different applications for sure.
    Seems like Andrew_C may have figured out the issues with HS are just the zwave plugin version.

definitely watching for updates.
    Can't take much credit really, Roger, avpman pointed me to the Beta plugin. But yes, it seems to be a combination of "odd" Fibaro settings, (compared to my usual Qubino and aeotec kit) and the HS plugin being updated.

As for uses, I agree - this could be very handy. I'm using it to see if I can create a low-cost but reliable garage door state indicator (open / closed / part open) by adding some reed switches to it. Just as a "teach yourself practical HA" exercise.

Originally posted by avpman View Post
    If 3.0.4.0 is a later build than mine, and it continues to work, then I would use that. But would be a good idea to post that question in the thread I referenced above, (yesterday 7:20 PM). I'll ask there.
    Thanks - I'll read through that thread as well.

I really must do some more work first though!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_C View Post

Can't take much credit really, Roger, avpman pointed me to the Beta plugin. But yes, it seems to be a combination of "odd" Fibaro settings, (compared to my usual Qubino and aeotec kit) and the HS plugin being updated.

As for uses, I agree - this could be very handy. I'm using it to see if I can create a low-cost but reliable garage door state indicator (open / closed / part open) by adding some reed switches to it. Just as a "teach yourself practical HA" exercise.

Thanks - I'll read through that thread as well.

I really must do some more work first though!
      Would like to exchange ideas about your use for it. I'm building a Pool/Spa/Heater controller.

Comment

Well, It's been an unusual few weeks, but I've finally managed to do some more work on the garage door controller project. Sadly, I couldn't separate the inputs from the outputs on the Fibaro implant, so I had to cheat and use a second relay to "push the button". I've not given up entirely on that idea, though.

I've used two magnetic reed switches fixed to the garage door opener rail; one at the door open trolley position and one at door closed. I stuck the magnet into the moving trolley. 3M "Command" sticky Velcro pads hold the switches to the rail, so I can adjust them by a few millimetres if necessary. I started with electrical tape fixing while testing, but that's too flexible in changing temperatures (not to mention ugly).

I ran the cables along the top of the rail back to the motor, where the implant is located in a box. Each reed switch operates one of the two inputs on the implant. Device power is provided from the door opener's 24V output.

NOTE check your door opener output voltage! I had to insert a voltage drop convertor, as the output was actually 36V... 50% higher than specified and labelled! Glad I checked it first with my multi-meter. The Fibaro spec says max 30V, so i wasn't going to risk that for the sake of a £10 convertor. (Probably a lot cheaper from elsewhere, but I was in a hurry, so used Amazon).

A bit of careful consideration to N/O and N/C switch positions and the resulting nomenclature for the resulting status, and I ended up with each switch (one called "Up" and one called "Down") being able to show "Open" or "Closed" status appropriately. Both reed switches are N/O, in that they are open circuit with no magnet present. When the "Up" switch is open circuit and the down switch is closed circuit, the implant inputs both report "DOOR CLOSED" . From there, the other positions follow.

Having made the switches work, I created a virtual indicator device in HS that responds to the open or closed status combinations of the two switches, and the order in which they have been operated. I see the door status as as:
        Opening
        Open
        Closing
        Closed

Handy HS "garage door" icons are available for the various status values.

For good measure, I added two extra status alerts... "Stopped - opening" and "Stopped - closing". Useful if the door sticks or is stopped by anything. A bit clunky, as I've used a timer to detect if the door hasn't completed it's travel, but it's simple and it works. I don't think I can indicate "reversing" with only two static reference points. Probably not.

Anyway, the indicator is now on the my phone's HS Mobile dashboard, next to an "open / close" control.

Using the Sonos plugin, I hear a spoken status message whenever the garage door status changes, and I threw in an email notification while I was at it. (I told you this was going to be a learning experience project!). Homeseer's ability to use status variables came in handy here, so I didn't have to make al of the notification events separately - just one event, using the status variable from the virtual indicator device.

Finally, to actually control the door, I used another z-wave switch, (Qubino dry relay) set to a 0.75 second momentary closure. If I ask Alexa to open or close the door, the event checks the door position and operates the switch only if appropriate. I'll most likely change to another Fibaro implant, and put it in the same box as the "detector implant", but as I had the Qubino as a spare on my bench, it was an easy way to prove the concept.

I'm going to add some more safety devices if I decide leave the controller enabled, as I currently don't have a safety beam on the door. That's because I can only operate it from where I can see it. This changes that restriction, so I'll be installing a safety beam before I feel it's safe to fully deploy. In the meantime, the indicator is very useful anyway, as I can use it to start a lighting macro as well.

All in all, I've achieved what I set out to do, using no additional programming outside of HS4 and its plugins. (I was considering "node red", but I wanted this to use as few components as possible on the HS controller PC).

Hours of innocent fun!
        (I can post screen snips of the events and settings if requested).

Comment

Wow this is great information! I have put off automating my garage door because I couldn't decide whether I should get a Z-Wave tilt sensor or do something more in the lines of what you have. I much prefer hardwired switches, rather than a battery operated tilt sensor. Would really enjoy seeing your screenshots. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I agree - I dislike relying on battery power for detectors. It has a place sometimes, but mainly for testing.

I'll upload the screenshots later - dinner time soon

Comment

I agree - I dislike relying on battery power for detectors. It has a place sometimes, but mainly for testing.

I'll upload the screenshots later - dinner time soon
              You da man!

Comment

Re my "HS4 Garage door and Fibaro implant learning experience project", I started to write this up again with images and screenshots, but I think I broke the input box!

So - I've attached a PDF doc with my notes and images instead.

Don't laugh too much! Hope it's of interest. HS4 Garage Door Project.pdf

Comment

Wow, this is great! Sincere thanks for your efforts in putting this together for us.

Comment

That's great, but as I said before - I gave up on Fibaro and use Shelly Uni - straight forward, two digital inputs, two outputs. Plus analog input, plus temperature sensors... Up to 36V power input.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...54#post1455054
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-12 162324.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1473939
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-12 163238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	1473938

Comment

Re my "HS4 Garage door and Fibaro implant learning experience project", I started to write this up again with images and screenshots, but I think I broke the input box!

So - I've attached a PDF doc with my notes and images instead.

Don't laugh too much! Hope it's of interest. [ATTACH]n1473794[/ATTACH]
                      I dropped Fibaro Support a note about getting the 5.2 firmware update (that is supposed to help with the temp reading fluctuations) and separating the input switches from the outputs. Apparently, it's done through parms 20 & 21 and applying an input voltage. Here is their response (Keep in mind, I believe they are in the Netherlands): I also attached the 5.2 firmware update notes.

Unfortunately we are not able to send you package of software for Smart Implant.\
                      In this case I propose you contact our certified installer who will come and update your Smart implant.
                      You can also send device to us and we will update Smart implant.

Yes, parameters 20 and 21.

https://manuals.fibaro.com/smart-implant/
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X