Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Update Caused Major Issues

I upgraded to
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 (Windows) yesterday. This caused all of my switches to go offline and report as "Unknown" status. The devices are all non-responsive. A few items still work, but outlet adapters, light bulbs and light switches all appear to be offline. I tried disabling the Z-Stick+ and re-enabling it..no change. I also re-booted the HS3 server several times, but that did not help either.

Z-Seer+ also refuses to connect to my HS3 server via the local area network.

This is obviously a major problem.

Can you restore to your backup before the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcrank View Post
      I upgraded to
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 (Windows) yesterday. This caused all of my switches to go offline and report as "Unknown" status. The devices are all non-responsive. A few items still work, but outlet adapters, light bulbs and light switches all appear to be offline. I tried disabling the Z-Stick+ and re-enabling it..no change. I also re-booted the HS3 server several times, but that did not help either.

Z-Seer+ also refuses to connect to my HS3 server via the local area network.

This is obviously a major problem.

First off save the HomeSeer folder first!

Can you completely power off your server?, reboot your router then restart the server and go to the Updater disable and enable the Z-wave plugin.

Note : You may also may need to update your Z-wave plugin to the latest in the beta section.

Tip : In the Windows Device Manager try to update the driver for the Z-Stick (Automatically) or https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...rtstick-driver

Eman.
      The Closer.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will certainly save my HS3 folder before updating in the future. I finally changed USB ports for the Z-stick+ and then toggled all of my devices off/on, and I got them to respond again. I mistakenly assumed that Homeseer had some rigorous testing before they would release an update. I now know better.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will certainly save my HS3 folder before updating in the future. I finally changed USB ports for the Z-stick+ and then toggled all of my devices off/on, and I got them to respond again. I mistakenly assumed that Homeseer had some rigorous testing before they would release an update. I now know better.
          It was released as beta first and I’ve been running it for a few weeks with none of the issues you had. Others reported results like mine. What did the HS startup log show when you first started on .531?
          HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I just had what sounds like the same problem with 3.0.0.500, so not sure .531 is to blame. After years of no problems with Z-wave, it suddenly got real flaky - some devices stopped working, I got unknown status, and it kept getting worse, until I saw that HS3 could no longer connect to my Z-Stick+, I tried reboots and disable/re-enable. Finally, I reinstalled the Z-Stick+ drivers and changed the virtual COM port - that got everything back to normal.
            Mark

Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
            BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

Comment

That is basically how I fixed my problem as well. My concern is that I am trying to setup a home automation business using Homeseer as the HA server, and this is the type of issue that will be very problematic in that scenario. If there is a specific sequence of steps that we should follow prior to updating the server, I would certainly like to know what they are. Obviously, backing up the HS3 folder and config before updating are essential...lesson learned, but this should not be necessary. For a software platform that has been around as long as HS has been, I would think they were more sophisticated than this.

I have another thread describing a need to stage UI deployments, which seems to be another basic feature that they just don't support. Their lack of industry standard capabilities is causing me to seriously second-guess this home automation business using their software.

Comment

That is basically how I fixed my problem as well. My concern is that I am trying to setup a home automation business using Homeseer as the HA server, and this is the type of issue that will be very problematic in that scenario. If there is a specific sequence of steps that we should follow prior to updating the server, I would certainly like to know what they are. Obviously, backing up the HS3 folder and config before updating are essential...lesson learned, but this should not be necessary. For a software platform that has been around as long as HS has been, I would think they were more sophisticated than this.

I have another thread describing a need to stage UI deployments, which seems to be another basic feature that they just don't support. Their lack of industry standard capabilities is causing me to seriously second-guess this home automation business using their software.

A few things to remember though when you do admin :
                The bankup rule==> https://www.acronyms-it.co.uk/blog/b...rule-of-three/

Why usb serial drivers get disrupted after updates ==> https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...s-update-windo

Eman
                The Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

A few things to remember though when you do admin :
                  The bankup rule==> https://www.acronyms-it.co.uk/blog/b...rule-of-three/

Why usb serial drivers get disrupted after updates ==> https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...s-update-windo

Eman
                  An addendum: Microsoft may want to add Windows 7 to the "appies to" list there. I had exactly this happen (USB Serial driver disappeared) after an update was installed on the weekend.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Generally, having updated HS more times than I care to remember (albeit with only one system which is mine) then I have found the updating process relatively painless and has not caused me issue. The occasional issue I see is that a plugin may fail to restart or restart in a bit of a bad state, usually a restart of the plugin solves that issue. I can't really offer a why in your situation but if you find it only relates to devices in one plugin (I notice you mention outlets/bulbs/switches which makes me think it is something like Z-Wave) then it is likely that plugin that has got confused. One thing that I have noticed makes things easier is disabling the plugin before updating it.

HSTouch is another topic entirely but I think you will find many will agree with you, that particular function has been asked for many times over. I'm sure HS have their reasons for not implementing it, sadly HSTouch has great potential but has had limited investment and there are a number of obvious features that never quite made it.
                    My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
                    Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

I had major issues with .531 as well on Win 7 X64 with a fully updated z-wave module. It was super flaky. Devices weren't responding, events weren't triggering, a restart would always fix it, but not for long. I spent hours on it. I also reinstalled the SmartStick+ driver and changed the comm port and it didn't help at all. I almost bought a new SmartStick+ because I honestly thought no way HomeSeer would release a bad update. I haven't had many real issues for years.

I was able to resolve it by restoring my .500 backup. I haven't had a problem since. There is definitely something wrong with .531.

Comment

I may also be reverting to an earlier version of HS3 after having read this thread.
                        After years of using a Z-Troller (albeit most of that time on HS2) without a single issue, I bought a Z-Stick one month ago. I've found myself having to restart the ZWave plugin or completely restart HS almost every other day now because modules become completely unresponsive, often with no logged errors or warnings. I've found lights on in the middle of the day even though they ought to have been shut off just after dawn. My living room drapes status (open/closed) is tracked by a virtual device and often is left in the wrong state because an event was triggered to either open or close the drapes but the module was never activated (no error).
                        Other times I see errors in the log to the effect that a module was unable to be reached. There seems to be no consistency there. I've optimized the heck out of the network but have had no improvement; nearly every module has at least a dozen neighbours.
                        All this does seem to have begun about the time I upgraded to 531 from 523 (beta) although the ZStick was put in place shortly before that.
                        The ZStick drivers were already re-installed as well after a Microsoft update blew them away.

Comment

It seems 531 isn't the issue, at least here. Reverted to 523 and still having issues with random nodes.. This leaves the SmartStick itself or v3.0.1.261 of the ZWave plugin (which is doubtful as its use here predates any problems I'd noticed).
                          I'd hoped not to have to try moving back to the Z-Troller as that process comes with its own set of problems, but perhaps worth a try when I get a few other things settled here and have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                            It seems 531 isn't the issue, at least here. Reverted to 523 and still having issues with random nodes.. This leaves the SmartStick itself or v3.0.1.261 of the ZWave plugin (which is doubtful as its use here predates any problems I'd noticed).
                            I'd hoped not to have to try moving back to the Z-Troller as that process comes with its own set of problems, but perhaps worth a try when I get a few other things settled here and have the time.
                            Been running versions newer than .500 for a while now and no issues with z-wave at all. Can’t remember if this was covered in your conversion thread, but have you confirmed that your USB ports have powersave mode disabled? Other things to try if you haven’t is a USB extension cord to get it away from the computer and/or putting it on a powered USB hub.
                            HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
                            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Been running versions newer than .500 for a while now and no issues with z-wave at all. Can’t remember if this was covered in your conversion thread, but have you confirmed that your USB ports have powersave mode disabled? Other things to try if you haven’t is a USB extension cord to get it away from the computer and/or putting it on a powered USB hub.
                              The stick is actually on quite a long cable mounted at the ceiling. The next step actually will be to move it onto the powered hub (8 Amp power supply) to see if that doesn't solve this once and for all.. means shuffling some other equipment.
                              Fact is, several things occurred here about the time this problem started: Installed the stick to replace the Z-Troller, Upgraded HS to 531 from 523 and the Z-Wave Plugin to the latest beta. I noticed a while ago in Rich's comments re the plugin that some "minor changes" were made for older Schlage Locks. Two of the modules I'm having issues with are older Schlage locks. These two happen to be closest in proximity to the Stick (6 and 15 feet respectively) and there is a Schlage Lamp module (beamer) nearby as well. The third lock, of the same vintage, is quite a distance (abt 35 feet) from both the Lamp module and the stick and is working just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X