No announcement yet.

HS Update Caused Major Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By "quite a long cable", I mean about 5 feet.
    Stick was moved to the powered hub this morning. Didn't realize I actually had a spare port there so no complications.

Can’t remember if this was covered in your conversion thread
    The problem then was adding a lock remotely using the Stick. Solved that.
    The remaining lock causing issues is the only one which hasn't been re-added since installing the Stick. It's not having actual comm problems, but does present an error sometimes when Locked/Unlocked by HS. Something to the effect of a Framing Error. The lock does activate, but HS winds up with an "Unknown" Status. I'll wait to see now if moving the stick to the Hub solves that before pulling the lock to re-add it. [ First Law of Diagnostic Troubleshooting: Change only one thing at a time ]
    The other module causing issues overnight is a simple Lamp module. Nothing special about that in itself, but I'll try re-adding it as well should the problem persist.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcrank View Post
      My concern is that I am trying to setup a home automation business using Homeseer as the HA server, and this is the type of issue that will be very problematic in that scenario..
      OK, this is going to be a flame attractant but it needs to be said, so... I truly don’t mean to be mean, but respectfully suggest that you might want to think hard about that business idea. You did not know to backup Homeseer, which most experienced users discover is a basic necessity. And frankly Homeseer has long been more of a hobbyist’s platform than something that works for months or years on end without having a few hiccups. And you don’t seem to have a significant amount of knowledge of the system in general. So, while I applaud your entrepreneurial mind, this might be something worth reconsidering from a customer satisfaction and sustainability point of view because customers quickly get upset about paying for service calls that are the fault of the system or installer, and covering those under warranty can destroy your profits, and even drive a business into the red

I am not a home automation guru by any stretch of the imagination but I got started with HS in v 1.something, and have always found that it took some hobbyist tinkering to keep it running smoothly, unlike my Elk or ISY, which have run for years without the need for much of anything. In fact, I basically abandoned HS through v.2 and 3, and am just getting back to it now that it can work on a RPi (and I need a hobby) because I kept having to tinker with it and didn’t have the time to do so. It is also important to note that HS depends in large part on third party plugins, which are largely created and maintained by fellow hobbyists. They’re great people and amazing at what they do, but sometimes support just sort of stops when a family or work priority eclipses their HS efforts. So please, do as you wish. But please note that while Homeseer is a great piece of software and has been a great company for its founders, having an inexperienced user create a HA business around the software would be a matter that involves a significant degree of risk for both the entrepreneur and their customers.
      Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        By "quite a long cable", I mean about 5 feet.
        Stick was moved to the powered hub this morning. Didn't realize I actually had a spare port there so no complications.

The problem then was adding a lock remotely using the Stick. Solved that.
        The remaining lock causing issues is the only one which hasn't been re-added since installing the Stick. It's not having actual comm problems, but does present an error sometimes when Locked/Unlocked by HS. Something to the effect of a Framing Error. The lock does activate, but HS winds up with an "Unknown" Status. I'll wait to see now if moving the stick to the Hub solves that before pulling the lock to re-add it. [ First Law of Diagnostic Troubleshooting: Change only one thing at a time ]
        The other module causing issues overnight is a simple Lamp module. Nothing special about that in itself, but I'll try re-adding it as well should the problem persist.
        I suggest you get some Aeotec Range Extenders and place them strategically around the house. They save you a lot time ("of I think got it wright!") and stress. They may be the missing link.
        Surely I have seen it when I moved the Range Extender to a new location and motion sensor could not trigger an event until I put it back where I had removed it from. So basically you almost doing the same thing ==> You configure the lock then moving whatever you configure it to a new location . If there aren't repeaters like wall switches in the room where the lock is finally installed you are bound to have problems.

Eman.
        The Closer.

Comment

Re-adding the lock solved its issue. There is a Schlage "Beaming" Module right next to this one actually. I've ordered a second Schalge module to try and guarantee the other two, further away & in the same general area, can maintain comms. Other than that, all of my light switches throughout the house are repeaters. Basically however, before using the HS Smartstick, I'd never before had any Z-Wave problems whatsoever. It seems to be the weak link here.

Another "strangeness" appeared the other day, and I'm not sure whether or not I've read of this same thing elsewhere. It's definitely an HS3 issue:
          An event fired to control an outlet module. There were no log errors (nor looking at it, any errors in the Windows Event Viewer), and HS did indicate the event had run as expected, on time. The device page showed that the state of the device was correct, and had changed on time as well. BUT, in the real world nothing... the module did not actually switch.
          The strangeness was this: I could repeatedly run this event with the same result, but if I used the GUI to switch the module manually, it worked every time. Back and forth, repeatably the same results.
          Restarting the Z-Wave plugin didn't help; nor did unplugging and reconnecting the SmartStick. Finally, restarted HS altogether and things worked fine again, and have since in that regard.

Back to the Smartstick again, I've found I'd been having issues with every single battery operated module in existence (Locks, Smoke Detectors, Motion Sensors and Door/Window sensors). All had worked fine before the Stick, and after removal and re-adding to the network using the Stick, are again functioning as expected. I'd add there that NWI was useless for all of these as well; each had to be brought to the controller for proper inclusion.
          Really not impressed with this controller at all.

Didn't intend to go on a rant here, but there it is.

Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
          X