Cheapest iPad to run HSTouch client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest iPad to run HSTouch client

What is the lowest gen iPad that will run HS3 Touch client properly. Tried gen1 and gen2 iPads and they load some older version but it doesn’t work correctly. Trying to stay within a budget as I’m deploying 6 units throughout the house.

If cost is a concern, why not use Fire tablets? They work well with HSTouch and they're inexpensive.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Good point. Same question do I need the latest version? Are they Android OS? I tried Android based Samsung tablet and it didn’t work well either.

Comment

HSTouch is available from the Amazon app store. The Fire tablets are "modified" Android, but HSTouch appears to stay updatde automatically on mine (one 10 and two 8's). I'd buy the latest version of the tablet, but my 8's are older and work fine. (I also have an old 2nd gen Nexus 7 that runs HSTouch flawlessly.)
        The only issue I have had is the need to occasionally restart HSTouch, especially after a restart of HS, but sometimes after a glitch in the LAN signal. (It's not difficult to do, but daunting and mysterious to my wife.)
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Uncle Michael Thanks for sharing. It seems all ladies are the same as far as home automation goes :-) To share my experience I had 6 iPads gen1 framed and installed on walls throughout the house working well with HS2 HSTouch. I tried the same setup after migrating to HS3 just to realize that iPAd gen1 is not good. Than I dropped the idea altogether in favor of 6 Google Home appliances. I decided that voice control is the future and GUI is dead. I was proved wrong. While we are using GH we realized that we miss the good old GUI. Now I'm back to to HSTouch design and deployment. Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            ...The only issue I have had is the need to occasionally restart HSTouch, especially after a restart of HS, but sometimes after a glitch in the LAN signal. (It's not difficult to do, but daunting and mysterious to my wife.)
            Will Tasker run on the fire tablets? I use it to restart HStouch on my Android tablets when it hangs or exits.

Comment

I'm running iPad 4th Gens and they work great here. $125 bux on ebay.

Comment

Agreed with Michael that the Fire HD10 works pretty well. The reburb / ads version was $100 recently - back up to $120 now. With a rather small amount of command-line stuff, you can disable all the background crap, install basic Google utilities and it works very well. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEG2HXP/)

Alternatively, I am also using the Huawei T5 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5NLGVY/) - a bit faster and prettier at $180.

Then I got one of the Huawei M5 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5NFD3B/) for $300 - faster again and nice camera if I want to use it as a room camera.

Between them, the Fire HD10 is hard to beat for the money; though it wasn't comparable until I hacked at it a bit - too much bloatware than slowed it down.

Down-side to all Android tablets is the lack of background updates (discussed in another thread); which I don't know if the iPads suffer from. It's only an issue if your HS Touch designs use more than one screen at once.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

Will Tasker run on the fire tablets? I use it to restart HStouch on my Android tablets when it hangs or exits.
                  I don't know, but I'd guess it will. I tried Tasker, some years ago and found it to be pretty powerful and fun, but just didn't want to invest the time it would take to get me proficient enough to make it really work for me. I've never tried it on the Fire tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by gregoryx View Post

Down-side to all Android tablets is the lack of background updates (discussed in another thread); which I don't know if the iPads suffer from. It's only an issue if your HS Touch designs use more than one screen at once.
                    Well I'll be using them for an art slide show when not used for HS3 controls as they'll be framed and on the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

I run tasker on my Fire 8 with no problem.

I did do a side-load of the Google Play Store app, so that I could get Tasker and all its plugins (such as Autoremote and autoinput). Instructions for side loading the play store app can be found by googling it.

Note to people contemplating the Fire 8 and its charging dock: The HS Touch screen will be upside down! I ended up getting an easel to rest the charging dock and tablet upside down, so that the HS screens will now be right side up.

Comment

Working...
                      X