Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Line Bridge???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Power Line Bridge???

    Hi Guys,

    I have moved into a new house that has two electric panels that are 220v each. That one through me for a loop. I have not seen that before in a residentrial home. So my delema is how the heck to I bridge the two panels?

    I have been using Insteon through out my old house for the past years with a single X10 bridge. I looked on SmartHome and they don't even sell bridges anymore. So I have no idea what to do with this situation?

    Has anyone crossed this path before? If so what did you do?

    Thanks
    -Skybolt

  • #2
    It looks like you can get the bridge on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/i/113707135965?chn=ps

    My house has two 240V subpanels, and Insteon works fine with that (just one bridge, off of one of the panels). There is still just one power meter, and one main box outside. If you have two meters, then I'm not sure how well you could get it to work. I guess you would have to try using some these: https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2992-...0&s=hi&sr=1-16

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure if Jeff Volp still sells stuff like that. His website is still up though: http://jvde.us/

      HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

      Comment


      • #4
        My house has two 240V subpanels, and Insteon works fine with that (just one bridge, off of one of the panels). There is still just one power meter, and one main box outside.
        Ok perfect, same setup as you. I haven't had the chance to pull the covers off to see how it's wired up just yet. Thanks for the Info and links.
        -Skybolt

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skybolt View Post

          Ok perfect, same setup as you. I haven't had the chance to pull the covers off to see how it's wired up just yet. Thanks for the Info and links.
          Definitely determine how it's wired. Is one panel a sub of the other? (That's how mine is wired.) Are they both subs of a master box? If they are both running off of one meter they may be electrically equivalent to a single panel.

          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

          HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Definitely determine how it's wired. Is one panel a sub of the other? (That's how mine is wired.) Are they both subs of a master box? If they are both running off of one meter they may be electrically equivalent to a single panel.
            For the record, both of mine are subs of the master/meter box.
            I ran a 240V circuit from the most convenient sub panel to a double outlet box by the HS PC. On one side is the phase coupler, and the other side is a duplex outlet. The top outlet is wired to one phase, and the bottom one to the other. (This is valid per code, and is the way that kitchen outlets are sometimes wired, just twist off the bridging tab between the two hots.) I then experimented and determined which of the two outlets the Insteon PLM worked best in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skybolt View Post
              Hi Guys,

              I have moved into a new house that has two electric panels that are 220v each. That one through me for a loop. I have not seen that before in a residentrial home. So my delema is how the heck to I bridge the two panels?

              I have been using Insteon through out my old house for the past years with a single X10 bridge. I looked on SmartHome and they don't even sell bridges anymore. So I have no idea what to do with this situation?

              Has anyone crossed this path before? If so what did you do?

              Thanks
              I am going to nitpick here but there are not 2 phases in your residential 220 volt electrical service. It is single phase 220 with a center tap at the transformer to give you 110.

              Is your Insteon dual band? If it is your could get away with not having the bridge sine the primary communication in Insteon dual band is
              RF with the power line as a backup.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

                I am going to nitpick here but there are not 2 phases in your residential 220 volt electrical service. It is single phase 220 with a center tap at the transformer to give you 110.

                Is your Insteon dual band? If it is your could get away with not having the bridge sine the primary communication in Insteon dual band is
                RF with the power line as a backup.
                I agree that it is split phase, but realize that many incorrectly refer to it as two phase. In general when it comes to AC power, there is single phase and three phase.

                I disagree about the Insteon. AC is primary for AC devices with RF being secondary. (RF is the only communication for battery devices.) I can tell you that it is way, way more reliable with a phase coupler, and just about all of my AC devices are dual band. You need the coupler.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As I haven't looked in the master panel which houses the meter yet, I am hoping that the two panels are like joegr's panels and just subs of the master. In which case a standard bridge will work just fine. Won't get to that until next week though, still moving from our old house a few states away ...

                  Thanks for all of the input guys

                  -Skybolt

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X