Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-net: Zwave data on stick broken (nodes disappeared)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-net: Zwave data on stick broken (nodes disappeared)?

Dear all,

I have some serious issues with 1 of my networks (I have 2, one directly on the Hometroller S6, this one through Znet extension (EU version, stick on it is a ZMEE UZB1)).

What started it: one of my nodes stopped responding, node ID was showing 'no node ID'. So I tried to restore a backup on the Zwave controller. Afterwards, all of my devices on this controller became 'no node ID' which seems logical since this controller seemed only to have 1 node displayed (itself), instead of 25 as it should and did before... But everything except the one node seemed to be working (but for how long).

What I tried:
    • have a spare Smartstick+. Defined it locally on the Hometroller to restore the network on it. Then moved it to the Znet to replace the ZMEE UZB1. Everything looked normal again (device Id were OK, controller contains 25 nodes), but no communication with any node unfortunately.
    • placed back the ZMEE UZB1: everything working as before, even the 1 node which started the problem. Looks like the HS3 dtabase and the Zwave network got resynchronised somehow by the previous steps. However, the Zwave network in the controller shows only 1 node again, so I am sure a certain moment, a problem will pop-up again once HS3 notices that...

What I did not try yet: take the ZMEE UZB1 directly on the Hometroller and define it as a new interface so I can restore BU on it without it being connected to the Znet (I have the impression restoring the BU on the ZMEE UZB1 does not work through the Znet, perhaps it might work when directly connected).
    Why not: if something goes wrong, nothing will work without plan B and I don't see any way of resolving things without rebuilding the complete network. Which I try to avoid for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions for a solution or troubleshooting this one?

Kind regards,

Kristof.

HomeSeer doesn't support restore to UZB - see https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...29#post1279929

Confusion arises because on some older versions of the UZB firmware, the restore does in fact work properly. However with later versions, including current EU models, all that gets restored is the HomeID, which seems to match what you are experiencing. Though you have some functionality, it's not a good situation. With no node info in the controller, the controller isn't able to do routing, so only direct connections are going to work.

Regarding your experiment with the spare Smartstick - I wasn't aware there is an EU version of that? Is your Smartstick the same frequency band as your UZB?

Comment

Dear zwolfpack,

Thank you for the reply:

Regarding your experiment with the spare Smartstick - I wasn't aware there is an EU version of that? Is your Smartstick the same frequency band as your UZB?
      Figured that one out myself in the mean time. Was lying around in my domotics stock not remembering where it came from (must have been included when I originally bought the system), thought let's try that one. But off course, US version as you suspected.

Though you have some functionality, it's not a good situation. With no node info in the controller, the controller isn't able to do routing, so only direct connections are going to work.
      Agree 100%, that is why I am looking for a solution.

Confusion arises because on some older versions of the UZB firmware, the restore does in fact work properly. However with later versions, including current EU models, all that gets restored is the HomeID, which seems to match what you are experiencing.
      This is indeed exactly what happened. And knowing that, I am worried...
      • The stick in my Hometroller is the same, so same issue if something goes wrong
      • And no solution for the problem I have now (except starting from scratch)? I did not find a stick at first sight which is compatible with EU and Homeseer and supports restoring? A serious weak spot in the system.

Comment

Sadly I don't see a solution right now. Its unfortunate that HomeSeer is leaving its EU customers in the lurch. Although (deep in) the the EU Z-Net product page they indicate that network restore isn't supported, they don't prevent you from trying -- which results in an erased network. I'd suggest that you and all other EU customers raise hell with them to get this fixed. The Z-Wave.me folks have indicated they are willing to work with HS on this.

Comment

Indeed, just blocking the 'restore' option in the z-wave controller management page would have saved me a lot of trouble. Should not be that difficult to achieve in my opinion.
          And on top of that, I don't think the problem is there for the Z-net only: if I plug in the Z-Wave.me UZB in the Hometroller USB port directly, problem would be the same?

But apparently, there is a workaround found by a dutch user, seems to be a hot topic recently:
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...b-restore-back

Going to launch the order of my spare UZB stick again and check if I can restore my backup on it using that procedure...

Comment

Message from support when I reported the issues with the restore option on 6th of may:

However, we have moved to a new bug logging format which makes it easier to keep track of how many users reach out to us about this. Since we moved to this new format, you are the first person to report this. I recommend asking others who are experiencing this to report the issue so that we may get an accurate count.
            So anyone who would like to see the restore option restored, please report to support.

Comment

I just wrote to Homeseer, and waiting for a response.
              I'm on Win 10 and HS3 Pro

Dear sir, madam,

I hope you are healthy and ok with the corona crisis. We are in a lockdown. And so I had time to upgrade my Homeseer system with some Z-wave devices. And know I have a HUGE problem. I hope you will help?

I bought in 2018 and 2019 three sets of z-net and EU UZB.me hardware directly from Homeseer, so that the restore function would work. And it did in the past. But now I have a seriously broken system! The restore does NOT work anymore. And this is nowhere documented! So I used this function and now 2 sticks are worthless. And my Homeseer system also. There are no nodes inside the stick anymore. At first I thought it should be the stick, because it did work in the past on this stick. So I tried the second one. No luck, only worth, because I have no stick anymore to take an image from. As it is a work around.

So I searched the forum and found that Homeseer does not support this function anymore since mid 2019. I have all the backups as advised by Homeseer but they are now all worthless. Just as my Homeseer system. The z-wave in my house is not functioning correctly anymore. I put maybe a 1000 hours and a lot more money in it. It is the core of my house systems. Had I know Homeseer stopped restore support in time, then I could have worked around it.

On the forum they say, there are no sticks anymore for the EU that support Homeseer restore function. So my problem is really big and maybe definite. I found an Australian supplier (Blackcat), in the forum described as the only z-wave stick that supports restore at all. But they don’t have the EU model, unless I buy 100 pieces. And they say that they have offered Homeseer there stick, but Homeseer does not have time for them. Now all the EU users have a huge problem I read in the forum. That cannot be the way Homeseer takes care of his customers.

Can you please help? And advise me which EU stick does work with HS restore? Or better, please make the restore function work again for UZB.me. This problem is SO HUGE.

I use Homeseer for more than 10 years, even bought HS4. But now everything is worthless. I’m desperate. Rick has helped me very good in the past. So mayby you can ask Rick for help?

PLEASE HELP?

Comment

BUMP.

Yet ANOTHER severly dissilusioned purchaser (in 2017) of a “ Znet EU” device ... and now EXACTLY the same issues as above,
                annoyed and dissapointed with Homeseer to leave its EU & AU customers hanging out there.
                Fortunately (as yet) Ive not had the need to do a backup/restore .. but when (& its only a matter of time) that my network has an issue ... and I have to face the UGLY task
                of rebuilding (& accessing hidden) zwave devices... my annoyance with homeseer will spill over, and my vitriol & voice on social media and HS forum will know no bounds.
                In the meantime .. an upgrade offer to HS4 .. i THINK NOT !!!! (unless it fixes this issue)

Homeseer ... PLEASE take notice, please support your VERY long standing customers ... and please fix this. Your “non USA” customers shouldbt be treated as this way.

Comment

Working...
                X