LED Strip Controllers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Strip Controllers?

Morning guys, I used to have a bunch of Fibaro led strip controllers that I used for under counter lighting. I lost all my controllers after Harvey a couple of years ago and am just getting around to really setting things back up.

I’m curious what folks are using for under counter or accent lighting now? Was considering either just getting some more of the Fibaro or getting some Phillips Hue strip lights.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Here purchased strips and aluminum tubes with diffusers to use. Very small footprint. Then from here for the 12VDC LED power supply went with new tiny UL approved transformers which fit inside of the electrical box and used a regular wall switch to turn them on or off. Next I modified a small magichome controller with ESpurna firmware and put a manual digital pot and dimmer on them. You do not even see them. You can automate them with mcsMQTT or use them manually or set automation timers right on the GUI for these WiFi switches.

The magic home controllers are less than $10 each but you need to be familiar with soldering to use them.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete!

That sounds very cool, I may have to play with that in my garage, but my MQTT setup is not always terribly stable so I would rather stay away from it for something in the kitchen that will have a high Wife Inspection Factor attached to it. :-)

Comment

Yes here WAF and the Kitchen stuff has been totally off limits for me.

A few years ago though too testing a variety of LED lamp solutions in the garage wall mounted kitchen cabinets - well for years.

Found AC style and DC style lamps and tested with AC style puck LED lamps which did work fine. The strips though provide a nice even lighting.

For wife's cooking here ran 3 strips on the stove side and mounted one under the microwave stove hood and she likes the bright lighting for cooking.

The current solution basics with an on an off switch really is all that wife wanted (no automation). I just added the digital pot for dimming control. That said too used ultra white LED lamps over the counter tops which wife really likes and warm dimmer lamps over the cabinets which she could really care nothing of.

Really the whole thing was hiding the power supply. They do make now automated with power supply 120 VAC to 12VDC switches but they are around $100 each.

Personally never liked the huge or large footprint power supply under the kitchen cabinets. Depending on the LED strips you do not really need to dim them.

In the home office did a different approach mounting a dimmable 120VAC to 12VDC power supply on the tops of the book shelves and controlling it via a UPB wall switch (and dimmer) works nicely but the PS is larger and you really do not see it on the top of the book shelves (~ 8 feet tall). Office has a pitched ceiling that goes from about 10 feet to 20 feet...

BTW here is one RGB / LED switch schedule such that you can control the switch manually, run a schedule and or use Homeseer for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sschedule.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1304192
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X