Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Advice on connecting commercial fire panel to Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on connecting commercial fire panel to Homeseer?

I own a small office building that is required by local codes to have a dual-path fire panel that connects to the sprinkler system. Verizons POTS lines have been so unreliable every time we get heavy rains (something away from our building apparently floods) that I asked our installer to figure out a different solution. He put in a new Honeywell/Ademco fire panel with IP as the primary path + Verizon wireless as backup as the communicator, as the Comcast internet that serves the building has been reasonably solid. He is also touting Honeywell’s Total Connect 2.0 as the way to arm/disarm and monitor the burglar/sensor side of things, but now Im wondering if that makes sense as opposed to just popping an Envisalink or AD2USB onto the panel (assuming one can even do that) and connecting via a different method.

Can anyone offer any insight on Total Connect 2.0? Has anyone connected a fire panel (commercial) to Homeseer to make use of their panel’s non-fire capabilities such as door and motion sensors? I primarily want to be able to arm/disarm the system, add or delete users, and see whats up with trouble codes, all remotely. Of course, being able to include the panel in the automation side of things would be great. I can do all this on my Elk at home with ease, but this fire panel business seems to be a bit more restrictive in terms of what I can do, so I’m in uncharted waters as I want to remain in good standing with the fire marshal and insurers. When I look at the list of Honeywell/Ademco panels that work with automation systems I basically never see these commercial panels listed, even though I then see people saying that they’ve connected to them via something like an Envisalink. So... Any advice or voices of experience re: this? At the very least, could I connect to Homeseer via Total Connect 2.0? Thanks in advance for any insight.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Personally here have never used Homeseer in a commercial environment and have seen offerings from many national vendors. They are similiar.

For commericial projects have used Tyco and for fire whatever they installed with approval of the local fire marshall and insurance company.

I did meet with a local fire marshall relating to the finishing of new contruction.

I had introduced a commercial server monitoring device that had aux sensors and cameras relating to management of server room crac units and UPS monitoring (well and back up generator stuff). None of it touched installed fire and alarm panels.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Well, I’m starting to think this might be a challenge, Pete. They’re clearly trying to replicate some HS functionality with this TC2 stuff, so I doubt they want to play nice with another automation platform. Seems to be based largely on wifi as the installer is being asked for MAC address when he adds an automation item. I suspect I’m going to be stuck with whatever their cloud system, which may be sort of like Smartthings, allows. Am out of town for a couple of days this week so may not be able to play with it very much. There’s nothing I really need out of it, but I thought it would be handy to tie it all together with a local control system. But we may just be stuck with cloud for at least the alarm end of things, with HS perhaps used for thermostat control with the ecobees. The building is really small, only about 3,000 SF so much more like a house. But that doesn’t seem to matter when it comes to the equipment you must use in it.

Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

It is not so much relating to how easy it is to use or implement it is relating mostly to what comes in to play relating to inspections et al.

You can do your stuff autonmously for your own purpose but then will still have to pay for the standard monitoring.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

OP -> I have several LARGE commercial buildings (each one over 150,000SF).

We have large fire control ROOMS with serious panels.

At a minimum you can use spare dry contacts and such on the fire pumps to see when sprinklers are going. Same with the bell and other stuff, just wire them into your alarm panel and the contacts on the fire panel will switch stuff on/off like any other zone. Easy.

On the more significant connectivity such as Ethernet or RS-232, I’d talk to your installer/integrator. Tyco (now part of Johnson Controls) did not seem to care a lick that I wanted to connect to them. In fact they gave me the info on how to do it.

The life safety inspectors are certainly going to look at things, but part of the license to be a fire panel installer seems to have an element of ‘self cert’ if you will. No way a life safety guy is gonna know the intricacies of every type of fire panel so he’s gonna rely on the installer. Just like an electrical inspector doesn’t know every single spec of every smart lighting electrical panel, the electrician has some ‘skin’ if you will on that as well.

If I were you I’d do a one way instruction/info flow from Fire Panel -> HS. I probably won’t do anything going from HS -> Fire Panel. Let that run for awhile.

Comment

Working...
          X