No announcement yet.

Home Announcements - Voice Alerts Russound/Sonos/etcetc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wired my new house home run to 6 locations with a speaker wire and ceiling mount stereo speaker in each zone (Proficient).
    I dont have a wall mount volume control and I like to use the wires rather than wireless.
    I'll control the system via my phone and/or via a dedicated touch screen by the amplifier.
    What would you recommended I use? Russound? Sonos? Anything else?
    Thanks

Comment

Here many years ago wired a zoned speaker / amplifier configuration. Initially used a Leviton digital Chopin system. Used 4 wires to a centralized area by the server rack. Each zone had a wall box where the 4 wires went to and from there went to the two in wall speakers. I also ran cat5e to each of the wall boxes. With the Leviton system used a device called the AB8SS which was an 8 pair speaker switcher which could be controlled via a serial port, X10 and IR at the time. Thinking the 16 guage speaker wires cost me more than the Cat5E cables at the time.

Over the years went to a Russound zoned system and installed Russound keypads at each box location. Then installed a Leviton Omni Pro 2 combo security / automation system and Omnitouch screens which could control the Russound zoned audio system. I also connected a micro serial server to the Russound serial port such that Homeseer and the OmniPro 2 panel could control the Russound.

Sources today are Squeezeplayers and Kodi boxes (same touchscreens with remote control). Note that this is just audio. It's been over 20 years now and not have had any issues.

- Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        . I also connected a micro serial server to the Russound serial port such that Homeseer and the OmniPro 2 panel could control the Russound.

Sources today are Squeezeplayers and Kodi boxes (same touchscreens with remote control). Note that this is just audio. It's been over 20 years now and not have had any issues.
        Pete, sounds like you've been were I'm going... The whole Omni/Russound/HS integration. Can you elaborate on the "micro serial server" you use to share Russound with the Omni and HS?

Comment

Thinking it was an Avocation serial server. Way back did see them on Ebay. Tiny thing size of three serial ports and 12VDC powered.

It is an Avocation SR-2

It is still sold on their website ==> SR-2
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you. Wasn't expecting that price point. Makes me wonder if I should just eliminate the Omni connection all together. Problem is I don't have panels for HS like I do for Omni.

This thread is several years old now, you still use yours - omni/russound/HS integration.

Comment

It is still connected but I mostly use the KPL keypads and Omnitouch Consoles. Last time the same said discussion was brought up on Cocoontech there was one offered for sale on Ebay for ~ $50 or so. You can do the switching now in software using a RPi.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I personally use a multiple of Google Homes and Google Minis throughout the house just for announcements. They are pretty cheap ($25 or so-- I often find people are giving them away in my state because they come free with thermostats the state provides). I 3D printed wall mounts like the one linked below.

If you bond them together- they speak as a group without delay. If you want a higher Fidelity one, you can get the larger ones. Want to add one to a shed or workshop? Super cheap. Then you can ask Google to do simple math for you as you work.

https://www.amazon.com/Caremoo-Space...a-846175486927
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                X